This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Knitting patterns

I don't know if i'm posting this in the right place. Anyway, here's my question...

I love knitting and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some knitting patterns related to ballet? For example, one of those bun covers or a sweater. I'm only a beginner knitter (I can't do anything with more than two needles) so it cannot be too complicated.

You came to the right place!

Leigh, where are you? (Doubtless he's doing something like going to the ballet, instead of reading BA!)

Something which I know a lot of dancers make are 'shrugs'---just a long rectangle, really, with cuffs on the end (keeps your back warm)--I can easily send you directions if you'd like....and of course, everyone can use leg warmers and you can't get much easier than that!

Oy Liliflower, little did you know how much you have come to the right place. ;) There are several BalletAlertniks who are avid knitters, I know Juliet and Giannina and I are (though I have a pair of socks that have been languishing for weeks in my bag. When I am planning a concert I don't have the mental focus to knit.)

Here are some sources for patterns on the internet.

My simple shrug recipe is a quick formula for one of these. Make it in acrylic for dancewear, rather than mohair.

Bun covers are usually crocheted, rather than knitted, and are a little complex - you'd need to make one just like you'd make a doily on four needles.

My friend Margaret Radcliffe (who also dances) designed this Child's wrap ballet sweater which I don't think would be very hard to make larger.

And from Dance Spirit Magazine, here is a pattern for Rainbow Striped Leg Warmers!

Happy Knitting!

A couple of other great knitting pattern sites.

www.woolworks.org - run by Emily Way in Toronto

http://www.knitting-and.com - Sarah Bradberry's site in Australia

Both sites are huge labors of love.

And for those who like knitting, but can't stand to knit, may I throw in a plug for Dance as Ever's charity Auction held yearly at www.danceasever.org ? - Sally Melville, a wonderful Canadian designer, has already given us a pair of leg warmers she made for BUST Magazine.

OK, back to dancing :(

Guest Dance Fish

I'm so glad there's someone else here who isn't an experienced knitter!!! :cool: I've been wondering about bun covers too, but I noticed they were crocheted. I can't crochet much besides a long chain stitch. But thank yoiu for patterns on legwarmers! I am so happy now! Yay! Hallelujah!