This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

17 minutes ago, matilda said:

I interpret that as "standard package" subscribers can renew their previous $38 subscriptions at that rate, but not flex subscribers (since those require starting a new subscription each year.)

I'm sure you're right. It stinks. 

I suspect that those of us with flex subs (terrific for out of towners!) that apparently aren't "real" subscribers will not be able to add tickets at a lower price. My memory is that you can add at your subscriber rate or higher. 

Most egregious is that there was no email or heads up about this major change. Did anyone else complete the survey a few days ago? Getting the season announcement shortly after the survey seemed that my requests were answered immediately! I'd have some different comments now. 

Remember the death of 4RS? Backfired in a big way and had to be resurrected. 

NYCB, don't punish loyalty. 

In late summer, before single tickets go on sale, all subscribers get early access to single tickets of all prices. From website (under "advance ticket sales"):

"Renew your package by the subscriber deadline or become a new subscriber when package sales begin, and you’ll skip the line for George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®. Qualifying subscribers access prime locations at the best prices during an exclusive priority period so you can select your preferred locations in real time, even for high-demand weekend matinees, before sales open to the general public.

At the same time, you’ll be able to purchase additional repertory tickets for individual performances. Many subscribers use this period to purchase seats for friends who will only be attending specific dates within their subscription or to secure tickets for performances the rest of their subscription party will not be attending."

Edited by matilda

I don't have a problem  with a significant price increase for the cheapest seats, although the jump from 38 to 73 seems too much.  Those seats are priced too low. 40 dollars seems very fair if that is the price increase.   However I wish they would  automatically open up the third ring.  I can't stand this game of checking the website repeatedly to see if the ring is now open.

Sadly, last night the third ring was open for an All Balanchine program, but is was only about  one-third or less sold. 

Edited by abatt

Too late for me.  I do flex and "renew" from last year and because I chose this option I can only select tickets from $73 or higher.  This is "punishing" those of us who wants the flexibility of choosing different seating options, different days.  What is the point of providing flex subscriber the "option" to renew when in actuality it is nothing but to "steer" subscriber into a higher tier"?  

Live and learn for next year but something tells me the rules will be change yet again without notification.  

Novice123 I would call them and explain. You have nothing to lose. If there is any sense of customer service and rewarding loyalty there might be a possibility of making a change. 

I am calling when I get a chance for some clarification before I proceed. 

It is not a "punishment" of loyal customers.  It is a recognition that people who are rejecting the Standard Packages, which frequently contain less popular  programs,  and are instead  cherry picking the most sought after ballets through Flex must pay a higher price for that approach. 

46 minutes ago, abatt said:

It is not a "punishment" of loyal customers.  It is a recognition that people who are rejecting the Standard Packages, which frequently contain less popular  programs,  and are instead  cherry picking the most sought after ballets through Flex must pay a higher price for that approach. 

It sure feels like a punishment to me.  Last season I had the option to select $38 seats via Flex, this upcoming season I do not.  I don't mind paying more for added flexibility.  I do mind that to keep this flexibility I have to pay a markup of 73/38 = 192% from this season to next season.  

1 hour ago, abatt said:

This makes it sound like we're applying to college and have to make sure we do the required Gen Ed courses if we want to have the fun electives.  Lol.  I should be able to "cherry pick" ballets, this is purely for my entertainment.  Again, they are pricing out younger generations with $73 tickets when I thought they were making a conscious effort to include them.  I'm assuming "30 for 30" is also obsolete?

Its not just Flex sub ticket prices that have been raised. Yes, I can renew my standard sub at the same or nominally higher rate. But I just looked at adding another standard sub and the lowest price was $551 - which comes out to almost $69 per ticket. Not gonna do it.

You are free to cherry pick, but you have to pay a higher price  to do that.  If you select a standard subscription, you can exchange out of the items that you don't want. 

Nobody said anything about getting rid of $30 for 30.  

Just saw what NY Susan wrote, so this is an across the board price hike for the cheapest level tickets for all new subscriptions, not merely a Flex issue. 

I think next season, particularly the Fall offerings, will sell well. But they will have trouble selling some of the weaker programs going forward.  

Added:  Does anyone know if the tickets for the other price categories have been increased and, if so, by what percentage?

Edited by abatt
5 hours ago, matilda said:

I interpret that as "standard package" subscribers can renew their previous $38 subscriptions at that rate, but not flex subscribers (since those require starting a new subscription each year.)

Also, new standard packages for next season will start at $73.  

Edited by Novice123
42 minutes ago, nysusan said:

Its not just Flex sub ticket prices that have been raised. Yes, I can renew my standard sub at the same or nominally higher rate. But I just looked at adding another standard sub and the lowest price was $551 - which comes out to almost $69 per ticket. Not gonna do it.

NYC Ballet must have conducted a study and decided that the demographic they target going will view $73 ticket to be a bargain.

$73 (or $69 for standard package) is not a bargain, but they are correct that $38 or $40 is too much of a bargain and is not sustainable.  These are performances by one of the greatest companies in the world, and every performance has live music.  

Edited by abatt

I just took a look at my renewal. My $38 standard sub seats are in Second Ring D and it looks like they are still $38 plus a service fee. I tried to add another sub and 2nd ring D was not an option. The least expensive was 2nd ring C at $551 or 68.88 each for a 8 performance standard sub (this may include the service fee).

So it may be that they haven't raised prices on those 2nd ring D seats, but are not making those locations available for new subs. Not happy about that, but its less upsetting than to think that they're doubling the price of the cheap seats. Theoretically they may still be available for something like $38 as single ticket purchases.

12 hours ago, meunier fan said:

I am heartsick,  Now that I've finally reached retirement age I was planning to come to all three seasons and see my favourite company in the world - NYCB - really the ONLY thing I truly miss about NYC from the 19.5 years that I lived there.  I came to ALL of the 2023 winter season performances - each and every single one of the them.  I also contributed as a Member in order to go to multitudinous rehearsals.  When I saw the 2023/24 season I was overjoyed and started to plan my life around attending.  The only catch is I live in London.  

Sorry, folks.  Whinge is NOW over.  Gonna spend my time moving on in as positive a light as I can. 

meunier fan, I saw announced on the British forum that NYCB will be performing at Sadler's Wells Theatre next season as part of celebrating NYCB's 75th season.  The dates have not yet been made known. 

From   https://www.balletnews.co.uk/new-york-city-ballet-announces-2023-24-season/?fbclid=IwAR2PbqP2-iCtuuW_LocoMOA9YbvosbOTWk1OfrT4Xrqkiv51UhwAHX1tmaM :

"Touring Engagements at the Harris Theater in Chicago, Illinois, The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Upstate New York, and Sadler’s Wells in London."  (Emphasis added.)

The Harris Theater engagement is March 21-23, 2024, according to the Harris Theater website.

Edited by Josette
extra info

I just tried to renew on a Flex package, which is what I've had for the past few years. I tried to add Sept 19, opening night, of Jewels and only see dates available starting on the 20th. Does this mean it's already sold out? Or is just not available to me as Flex subscriber? 

2 hours ago, nycvillager said:

I just tried to renew on a Flex package, which is what I've had for the past few years. I tried to add Sept 19, opening night, of Jewels and only see dates available starting on the 20th. Does this mean it's already sold out? Or is just not available to me as Flex subscriber? 

Sept 19 is not available for Flex  subscribers. Ditto the gala and the special performance on Oct 11..  

On 4/18/2023 at 6:57 AM, Balletwannabe said:

Which Balanchine ballets in fall would people recommend as must-see's for those who have seen very little of Balanchine?  "Asking for a friend"

I would advise new ballet goers to choose programs based on the music they enjoy.

Still, you can hardly beat the following programs

Balanchine IV: Concerto Barocco, Prodigal Son, Symphony in C

Balanchine V: Serenade, Orpheus, Theme & Variation

Balanchine III: Apollo, La Sonambula, Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto #2

On 4/18/2023 at 10:15 PM, vipa said:

Is there a great reason to subscribe? 

I subscribe largely because of the priority in buying tickets when there is a big retirement. Also as a subscriber you get a discount when you buy additional tickets, and some of those add-on fees are waived. And remember, it's easy to exchange tickets, so you are not bound to the dates that happen to be on your series. 

4 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I would advise new ballet goers to choose programs based on the music they enjoy.

Still, you can hardly beat the following programs

Balanchine IV: Concerto Barocco, Prodigal Son, Symphony in C

Balanchine V: Serenade, Orpheus, Theme & Variation

Balanchine III: Apollo, La Sonambula, Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto #2

Everyone loves Serenade.  It is sublime.