This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

26 minutes ago, mille-feuille said:

SCREAMING CRYING THROWING UP

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!

Great way to put it, mille-feuille! 

I think our excitement may have been muted a little bit by the programming coming out in dribs and drabs over the weekend. I could see it was a delightful amount of Balanchine, but never imagined an ENTIRE fall season of nothing but!! 

An embarrassment of riches this season! So glad they're keeping things classic and stuffing in as much top-shelf Balanchine as possible.  

So, no fashion gala? I wonder why they're doing excerpts from "Who Cares" that evening and not doing the entire ballet at any point during the season. In addition to the Tiler Peck ballet the Garner piece seems to be the only commission from a lesser-known choreographer. (I see this as a positive.)

Seems like everything has been intelligently thought out. I won't see every program, but there's not a single one that gives me an "AVOID!" reaction. 

Edited by matilda

I"m a subscriber. I clicked on "Renew" in order to see what was in my subscription (It's like 12 performances). Then there's a countdown clock saying that if I don't purchase in 18 minutes my seats will be released. Is this correct? I've had those seats for YEARS! It's a huge outlay of money and I usually have months to figure out exactly which subscriptions I'm going to purchase.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is the time clock just some weird left over feature that doesn't apply to subscriptions? (I'm hoping)

34 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I"m a subscriber. I clicked on "Renew" in order to see what was in my subscription (It's like 12 performances). Then there's a countdown clock saying that if I don't purchase in 18 minutes my seats will be released. Is this correct? I've had those seats for YEARS! It's a huge outlay of money and I usually have months to figure out exactly which subscriptions I'm going to purchase.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is the time clock just some weird left over feature that doesn't apply to subscriptions? (I'm hoping)

I think the countdown clock only applies to single tickets in your cart.  I think if you check back and log back into your account in a few hours  your subscriptions should appear again in your account.  I clicked on mine numerous times over the weekend and all of my series are back in my account awaiting renewal.  Any issue, call them tomorrow.

Edited by abatt
5 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think the countdown clock only applies to single tickets in your cart.  I think if you check back and log back into your account in a few hours  your subscriptions should appear again in your account.  I clicked on mine numerous times over the weekend and all of my series are back in my account awaiting renewal.  Any issue, call them tomorrow.

Thank you. I"m glad to hear how it worked for you. Fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, cobweb said:

Great way to put it, mille-feuille! 

I think our excitement may have been muted a little bit by the programming coming out in dribs and drabs over the weekend. I could see it was a delightful amount of Balanchine, but never imagined an ENTIRE fall season of nothing but!! 

Truly amazing programing. Let's hope they have an  aggressive advertising campaign to sell tickets. Nothing could be greater IMO that bringing new audiences in to see NYCB doing Balanchine.

I used to be a subscriber, but haven't been since pandemic. I'm considering it again driven by how great the coming season looks, but am not totally convinced of the advantages. I've never had a problem getting a ticket for a performance I want to see. I also find good prices when they finally open the third ring often getting front row seats. Is there a great reason to subscribe? 

1 hour ago, vipa said:

I used to be a subscriber, but haven't been since pandemic. I'm considering it again driven by how great the coming season looks, but am not totally convinced of the advantages. I've never had a problem getting a ticket for a performance I want to see. I also find good prices when they finally open the third ring often getting front row seats. Is there a great reason to subscribe? 

Not this year with these price increases. I've had multiple flex subscriptions for years. My sub prices are doubled this year. Breaking my heart especially with that glorious fall season but I just won't commit to such an expense. I'll see what happens with the sections that aren't opened yet and hope Society NYCB doesn't disappear on top of this. 

We were given the gift of a beautiful season and with the other hand reasonable prices were taken away. 

I am heartsick,  Now that I've finally reached retirement age I was planning to come to all three seasons and see my favourite company in the world - NYCB - really the ONLY thing I truly miss about NYC from the 19.5 years that I lived there.  I came to ALL of the 2023 winter season performances - each and every single one of the them.  I also contributed as a Member in order to go to multitudinous rehearsals.  When I saw the 2023/24 season I was overjoyed and started to plan my life around attending.  The only catch is I live in London.  (That's London, UK not London, Ontario.)  I've just seen the price increases and I'm sorry but I just can't justify the virtually 100% increase over the $38 seats for which I was so keenly appreciative.  I'm someone who for years spent their life in Standing Room on the 4th Ring.  That's where my appreciation was built - and where I fear now that it may well remain as a cherished memory.  Sorry NYCB but I've been priced out of your game.  You have been an important part of my life; a VERY important part of it.  I also volunteered.  Indeed, I'm in NYC next week to see all of the performances.  I realise those may well be my last - short of tours they might do to foreign climbs.  I remember going to all the performances for the three week NYCB season at the Chatelet in 2016 and to Copenhagen the year following.  I will again assuming I can get to them - and should they be what I deem remotely affordable.  Sorry, NYCB, but I can't fly over and pay for ever more expensive accommodation in NYC on a whim that the '3rd or 4th Ring MIGHT be open'.  You've got to be joking.  Do you care?  Of course not.  Why should you?  That too I understand.  I did have a membership in the Fourth Ring Society - but what's the point if it no longer truly exists.  

How times change.  I'm just going to have to find other dedications short of this Company.  I have been ridiculously - well, unreasonably it now  appears - loyal.  Sitting here I feel bereft.  Their loss as far as I'm concerned.  I had left NYCB a hefty amount (well, hefty for me) in my will.  Gotta feeling that's gonna change.  

Sorry, folks.  Whinge is NOW over.  Gonna spend my time moving on in as positive a light as I can. 

Edited by meunier fan
7 hours ago, Novice123 said:

Those are gone.  Huge jump in price  

They went from $35 for years....to $38...to $73!?  I thought they were trying to attract younger audiences.  I was going to buy a 7 performance package and now I'm questioning whether I'll go at all.  Do they only want the wealthy to attend?  I'm seriously asking because they're pricing out us Millennials on a budget.  

Edited by Balletwannabe
22 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

Which Balanchine ballets in fall would people recommend as must-see's for those who have seen very little of Balanchine?  "Asking for a friend"

In addition to what's been recommended already, I'd also put in a good word for Balanchine V--Serenade; Orpheus; Theme and Variations. Serenade and Theme and Variations are two of Balanchine's greatest ballets --both set to Tchaikovsky who was one of the composers most important to him and yet very different from each other. Serenade was also, in a slightly different version, Balanchine's first ballet in the United States so it has a special place in ballet history. in my experience Serenade is also cast-proof. So if you haven't seen those ballets, then it's a great program. Orpheus is, in some ways, an unusual work in Balanchine's oeuvre and hard to pull off, but it is always super striking visually because of the Noguchi designs and at least gives an example of one of Balanchine's collaborations with Stravinsky. It's also a narrative work so that breaks up the program a bit ...

I also like @volcanohunter's suggestions especially Program IV because both Concerto Barocco and Symphony in C are also "must see" ballets.   And Prodigal Son is another work with designs by a major artist (Rouault) and also a narrative ballet sitting between two non-narrative ballets. 

The company seems to have designed the programs to feature variety across Balanchine's oeuvre--in some cases that makes certain programs a little too split personality for my taste, but I think both of these programs look great as programs.

The $38 tickets will still be available... they are just going up to $40, which is not a big increase. On the website's "Subscribe" page under the "best pricing" tab:

"The preferred subscriber rate does not apply for Nutcracker or specially priced performances. 2022-23 Season $38 tickets and 2023-24 Season $40 tickets are not discounted and are only available for subscription renewals, not available for new subscription sales or location changes."

What I would do as a price-saving hack, if I were in the shoes of some of you, is get the minimum number of flex subscription tickets (only 3, but 6 if you want free exchanges) for the lowest price of $73. Then, as a subscriber, you have early access to add-on tickets and can buy a bunch of $40 tickets for other shows. Or, you can just wait until single tickets go on sale. 

7 hours ago, rkoretzky said:

Not this year with these price increases. I've had multiple flex subscriptions for years. My sub prices are doubled this year. Breaking my heart especially with that glorious fall season but I just won't commit to such an expense. I'll see what happens with the sections that aren't opened yet and hope Society NYCB doesn't disappear on top of this. 

We were given the gift of a beautiful season and with the other hand reasonable prices were taken away. 

8 minutes ago, matilda said:

The $38 tickets will still be available... they are just going up to $40, which is not a big increase. On the website's "Subscribe" page under the "best pricing" tab:

"The preferred subscriber rate does not apply for Nutcracker or specially priced performances. 2022-23 Season $38 tickets and 2023-24 Season $40 tickets are not discounted and are only available for subscription renewals, not available for new subscription sales or location changes."

What I would do as a price-saving hack, if I were in the shoes of some of you, is get the minimum number of flex subscription tickets (only 3, but 6 if you want free exchanges) for the lowest price of $73. Then, as a subscriber, you have early access to add-on tickets and can buy a bunch of $40 tickets for other shows. Or, you can just wait until single tickets go on sale. 

Thank you so much for pointing this out. But--I'm confused. Are $40 (a very fair price) tickets  available to renewing subscribers? Because I certainly don't see that option. I'd be grabbing those right now! 

12 minutes ago, rkoretzky said:

Thank you so much for pointing this out. But--I'm confused. Are $40 (a very fair price) tickets  available to renewing subscribers? Because I certainly don't see that option. I'd be grabbing those right now! 

I interpret that as "standard package" subscribers can renew their previous $38 subscriptions at that rate, but not flex subscribers (since those require starting a new subscription each year.)

Edited by matilda