This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Promotions 2023

Hi all! 

It seems like there have been a few promotions this year! Evgeny Konovalov and one of my favorite male dancers, Alexander Sergeev, have been promoted to First Soloists. There are two other male dancers that were promoted with them, but I can't read Russian and I unfortunately do not know their names! However you can find it in the link below. 

Aaron Oh, who graduated from Vaganova alongside Misha Bark and Markus Juusela (both have left the Mariinsky), has been promoted to coryphee. I bet it won't be long til he becomes a Second Soloist, since he is dancing so much.

The Mariinsky website seems to have been updated with the new promotions!

Unfortunately, Masha Bulanova remains a Second Soloist, and is still stuck dancing the same roles over and over again. (She danced The Fountain a few days ago, I believe.)

Instagram announcement: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqlQtkUI1vZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by Danielle

In the photo, the top row of men are Konstantin Zverev and Evan Kapiten (google translate off the Russian page) / Even Capitaine (English page).  The bottom row of men are (Y)evgeni Konovalov, whose account it is and who is being congratulated in the comments, and Alexander Sergeyev.

5 hours ago, Helene said:

In the photo, the top row of men are Konstantin Zverev and Evan Kapiten (google translate off the Russian page) / Even Capitaine (English page).  The bottom row of men are (Y)evgeni Konovalov, whose account it is and who is being congratulated in the comments, and Alexander Sergeyev.

Thank you so much! 💓 Fingers crossed for Masha B. to be promoted soon!

Congratulations to all of the newly promoted dancers! I'm especially pleased for Alexander Sergeev who has long been deserbving of this promotion.  I would love to see Philipp Stepin promoted to principal.

2 hours ago, Xiaoyi said:

Alexander Sergeev has been first soloist for around 10 years and NOT promoted this time.

I was going to write the same thing. Sergeev has been a first soloist for a looong time. For example, this interview, posted in 2017, describes him as a first soloist of the Mariinsky Theater.

Whoops! For some reason I was thinking of Alexei Timofeyev when Sergeyev was mentioned as being promoted. But I do still believe that Stepin deserves principal status and Timofeyev deserves First Soloist status.

3 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I was going to write the same thing. Sergeev has been a first soloist for a looong time. For example, this interview, posted in 2017, describes him as a first soloist of the Mariinsky Theater.

Oh my bad, thought he was recently promoted based on the Instagram post. He's a wonderful dancer! 

Hello fellow Ballet Lovers! The Mariinsky ballet website has a new dancer listed as a first soloist. https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/soloists/

Elena Svinko has joined and previously danced with the Mikhailovsky Ballet as a soloist and the Krasnoyarsk Ballet. https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/soloists/first_soloists/dancers1/svinko_elena1/ After watching a few Youtube videos of Elena, I see that she is a very talented dancer who has won numerous awards. While I do not want to detract from her excellent abilities, I wonder why management chose to hire her rather than promote from within. I have no doubt she will make an excellent addition, but there are several second soloists deserving of a promotion.  Perhaps more promotions will be made soon. 

On 8/6/2023 at 2:00 PM, ECat said:

Hello fellow Ballet Lovers! The Mariinsky ballet website has a new dancer listed as a first soloist. https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/soloists/

Elena Svinko has joined and previously danced with the Mikhailovsky Ballet as a soloist and the Krasnoyarsk Ballet. https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/soloists/first_soloists/dancers1/svinko_elena1/ After watching a few Youtube videos of Elena, I see that she is a very talented dancer who has won numerous awards. While I do not want to detract from her excellent abilities, I wonder why management chose to hire her rather than promote from within. I have no doubt she will make an excellent addition, but there are several second soloists deserving of a promotion.  Perhaps more promotions will be made soon. 

I'm still amazed Maria Bulanova has not been promoted or even given new principal roles to dance.

14 hours ago, Danielle said:

I'm still amazed Maria Bulanova has not been promoted or even given new principal roles to dance.

Agreed Danielle! They have a wealth of talent at the second soloist level, many of whom are ripe for promotion. Not sure why they hired from outside.

On 10/23/2023 at 12:14 PM, ECat said:

Agreed Danielle! They have a wealth of talent at the second soloist level, many of whom are ripe for promotion. Not sure why they hired from outside.

I don't understand it either. Meanwhile, the Bolshoi is promoting young talents like Elya Sevenard to principal dancer. Maybe that's why more and more Vaganova grads are choosing Bolshoi. 

On 10/24/2023 at 5:38 PM, Danielle said:

I don't understand it either. Meanwhile, the Bolshoi is promoting young talents like Elya Sevenard to principal dancer. Maybe that's why more and more Vaganova grads are choosing Bolshoi. 

Indeed! Also several recent Vaganova grads have gone to Bolshoi and are already getting important debuts. For example, Maria Koshkaryova just joined Bolshoi as a soloist and debuted Gamzatti.