This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SAB Workshop 2023

The School of American Ballet has just announced the program for the 2023 Workshop (apologies for the sloppy copy-paste from their e-mail): 

https://sab.org/workshop-performances/

La Source

Music By Léo Delibes

Choreography by George Balanchine

Coppélia

(Excerpts from Act III)

Music by Léo Delibes

Choreography by George Balanchine & Alexandra Danilova

Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet

(3rd Movement Only)

Music by Johannes Brahms

Choreography by George Balanchine

Napoli

(Pas de Six and Tarantella)

Music by Holger Simon Paulli

Choreography by August Bournonville

Workshop Performances will take place on:

Saturday, June 3rd, at 2 PM & 8 PM and

Monday, June 5th, at 7 PM (Benefit Performance)

at the Peter Jay Sharp Theater at Lincoln Center

Thanks for posting this! I started going to the SAB workshop about 5 years ago and really enjoy it (very fun happy atmosphere, and my first introductions to Mira Nadon, Davide Riccardo, KJ Takahashi... and more!). I followed the link but I don't see if it says when tickets go on sale, do you know?

4 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I followed the link but I don't see if it says when tickets go on sale, do you know?

Sorry -- I should have included that from the email:

Donors Circle members enjoy Advanced Ticketing starting at the end of March.

Tickets will go on sale to the general public in mid-April.

If you would like early ticketing access, please make an additional gift to upgrade your membership to Donors Circle level today online or contact Michelle Palmour, Director of Individual Giving (212-769-6611 or mpalmour@sab.org).

I was there.  It was very pink!  La Source,  the little girls in Coppelia, and the third movement of Brahams/Schoenberg, then finally the pas de six and tarantella of Napoli.  I really was impressed by the Napoli.  It was coached by Petrusjka Broholm, who I remember from an earlier Bournonville festival, I forget which one. She was a very stylish dancer, with a great stage presence, and she appears to be a wonderful coach.  They got a lot of the details, like the head positions and the low arms and springy jumps and really looked like they were having fun.  She also brought the traditional Danish men's shoes, black with a white inset  which really makes the feet pop.  Unfortunately, one boy had trouble with the fit, and it fell off during the pas de six, but he kept dancing without any hesitation--very professional.  I was very impressed by Veronica Hanson as the La Source soloist, very elegant, and Natalie Glassie as the Spinner in Coppelia and one of the soloists in Napoli, but everyone looked good.

I went to both the afternoon and evening performances.

Some standouts:

Renee Spaltenstein and Victor Philp in La Source (evening). This was a very abridged version that skipped the second pas de deux altogether, but I loved their soft port de bras and Philp's elegant cabrioles. Kylie Williams was also wonderful in the soloist role. Very petite, doll-like dancer. 

Dakota Skye Blake was lovely in the Prayer variation of Coppelia. Long lines, beautiful bourrees.

Agree that the Napoli pas de six + Tarantella was the highlight of the Workshop. Large cast, all of them great. I think the afternoon cast had slightly more pep. 

Wonderful day of ballet. I wonder who got taken into NYCB as apprentices.

I saw both shows on Saturday. Saturday night's show was electric, maybe because the audience was full of NYCB dancers. La Source was amazing, Brahms was great but Napoli was the most fun. I agree that the Saturday afternoon performance of Napoli was better.  

Not much time to write.  I went to the Workshop last night. The winners of the Mae L. Wein awards were Oscar Estop (he is 6 ft 5 in), Natalie Glassie and Mia Williams.  Mia Williams did not perform due to injury. The booklet says that Mia and Oscar will begin apprenticeships w. NYCB starting in August.   A very impressive group of dancers.

Napoli was my favorite because there are so many featured parts, and NYCB has not performed it in quite some time. 

Edited by abatt

Thanks all for these reports, I wish I could have been there! I wonder, are Mia and Oscar the only two apprentices? Usually they take more. I guess we'll find out in due time. I've said this before, but I wish they would post PICTURES of the new dancers on the NYCB website. I'm still trying to get to know the apprentice/ corps dancers from the past few years, and it's hard without pictures to go by. 

I was at the Saturday night performance and was particularly struck by Taela Graff. She had so much polish, presence, and charisma that she would've looked right at home on the NYCB stage. At times during Napoli I found myself watching her in the background instead of the dancers doing solos.