This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Kennedy Center - Ballet

The Kennedy Center is out with its schedule for next season. IMHO, it's a huge step down from the current season. ABT will be presenting Swan Lake(!) and NYCB will perform Jewels(!), and there will be a 6-day festival of Asian choreography. Ballet West will be the guest company for The Nutcracker. But there are no companies comparable to the Joffrey Ballet or Scottish Ballet filling out the schedule. There's no indication of whether the Washington Ballet will be performing at the KC.

The modern dance season also seems uninspiring, with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre being the only recognizable name.

Edited by YouOverThere
16 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

The Kennedy Center is out with its schedule for next season. IMHO, it's a huge step down from the current season. ABT will be presenting Swan Lake(!) and NYCB will perform Jewels(!), and there will be a 6-day festival of Asian choreography. Ballet West will be the guest company for The Nutcracker. But there are no companies comparable to the Joffrey Ballet or Scottish Ballet filling out the schedule. There's no indication of whether the Washington Ballet will be performing at the KC.

The modern dance season also seems uninspiring, with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre being the only recognizable name.

Huge disappointment! Nothing worth travelling to see. I understand why the Russians won't be coming back for a long time (if ever). But I was hoping for a return visit from the United Ukrainians, as we know they are working on a mixed bill to show in Europe. Perhaps if they find an underwriter it will be added!

On 3/9/2023 at 8:31 PM, YouOverThere said:

Agreed, and frankly I have no desire to see KM's Swan Lake again.  I am however looking forward to Jewels and will take my kids to see it.

The modern programming is awful lately.  They bring Alvin Ailey every year.  I would love them to bring English National Ballet and have them do Akram Kahn's Giselle.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:12 AM, Mothrafairy0912 said:

The modern programming is awful lately.  They bring Alvin Ailey every year.

Alvin Ailey is a huge draw in DC, often selling out all their performances, so it makes sense for the Kennedy Center to book them every year.