This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ashley Killar's biography of John Cranko

This Cranko biography came out late last year, I think, and I've just finished it. Killar danced in the Stuttgart company under Cranko's directorship and his affection and admiration for John Cranko is evident.  It's not a hagiography though:  he's quite clear sighted about how some works didn't really succeed or didn't last.  It's very readable and engaging.  It also has quite extensive appendices including a detailed list of all his premieres and restagings including details of casts, designers, music etc.  I think these may be available on an associated web site  https://crankobiography.com/  which should be a useful resource for researchers.  Recommended. 

Thanks for posting, Lynette H. I don't know if this is the first Cranko biography but a new book is welcome either way.

It also has quite extensive appendices including a detailed list of all his premieres and restagings including details of casts, designers, music etc. 

That's great. It's a pet peeve of mine when biographies of dancers and choreographers don't provide those details.