This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Documentary — “Anne of Green Gables – The Ballet”

“Anne of Green Gables – The Ballet”

The making of the ballet — A Small Company with A Big Heart

This is a very nice and interesting documentary about  the creation of a ballet of the classic “Anne of Green Gables” by a small ballet company in Canada that tours throughout the country. The Artistic Director has been awarded the Order of Canada for his work over the years.

It’s very interesting to see the work involved and feel the warmth and talent of those who put it together and those who perform it. A highlight for me is the constant presence of the vibrant young dancer, perfectly cast as Anne. You don’t get to see much of the actual production, but what you do see is quite fine. The entire production might be delightful. If I were ever near where it was being performed I would certainly like to take a look.

https://canadasballetjorgen.ca/repertoire/anne-of-green-gables-the-ballet/

Here's a typical trailer.

I think that in the “Anne of Green Gables” ballet one of the biggest challenges is to take some of the most charming spoken wordings that I’ve ever read and translate them into a wordless presentation. Here’s one of Anne’s remarks.

"That's Barry's pond," said Matthew.

Anne — “Oh, I don't like that name, either. I shall call it--let me see--

the Lake of Shining Waters.”

The book is loaded with such lovely comments. In the documentary you can see how they quite successfully create imagery that conveys the feelings of such ideas rather than trying somehow to literally recreate them.