This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jared Angle to retire from NYCB

7 hours ago, carllovesballet said:

lol what's the story there

Basically, I said something that was incorrect. He was rude. I called him out on it. He blocked me. 

I had watched his City Center program about SPF and Dewdrop. (It's excellent!) He was comparing the Ivanov and Balanchine versions. Because of the way he described them ("Balanchine has the dancer articulate each note. Ivanov doesn't" was the gist) I got confused. Since the Ivanov is piqué-plié, piqué-plie (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &) I thought that articulated each note. In the Balanchine version the ballerina steps on piqué-piqué, piqué-piqué (1 & 2 &) then she chassés and straightens her front leg (3&4&) all legato. Since three and four and aren't articulated I got the versions reversed. I tried to "correct" him online and he took offense. Then he was rude and I took offense.

It's kind of weird. I saw him at NYCB this weekend and nearly went up to him to talk about it. I haven't decided if that would be a good idea or not. Any thoughts?

Edited by BalanchineFan
12 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Since the Ivanov is piqué-plié, piqué-plie (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &) I thought that articulated each note. In the Balanchine version the ballerina steps on piqué-piqué, piqué-piqué (1 & 2 &) then she chassés and straightens her front leg (3&4&) all legato.

It's kind of weird. I saw him at NYCB this weekend and nearly went up to him to talk about it. I haven't decided if that would be a good idea or not. Any thoughts?

Just wanted to say: I would have interpreted that the same way, and for the same reason: the chassé to tendu on beats 3 and 4. 

And as for speaking to him personally, I have found that to be a much better way of resolving differences than anything electronic (text, email, and definitely social media comments).  If it's something that's bothering you, you should speak to him.  If he's still rude in person, then at least you can clear your conscience!