This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Giselle -- Feb 3-4 and Feb 9-12 Plus Streaming Option

PACIFIC NORTHWEST BALLET PRESENTS

image.png

Ballet’s preeminent ghost story returns to the PNB stage February 3 – 12, 2023.

Eight Performances Only!

February 3 at 7:30 pm

February 4 at 2:00 and 7:30 pm

February 9 & 10 at 7:30 pm

February 11 at 2:00 and 7:30 pm

February 12 at 1:00 pm

Marion Oliver McCaw Hall

321 Mercer Street at Seattle Center

Seattle, WA 98109

Streaming Digitally February 16 – 20

“Pacific Northwest Ballet’s renovated Giselle…sparkled with details that re-contextualized this story in surprising and satisfying ways.”  -- DANCE Magazine

“Marvelous. The most striking thing about Pacific Northwest Ballet’s new Giselle is how it teems with life. The world of Giselle and her tragic story comes newly and vividly alive.”  -- Dancing Times (UK)

SEATTLE, WA – Pacific Northwest Ballet Artistic Director Peter Boal’s radiant, historically informed production of Giselle drew international accolades when it premiered in 2011. (“A Giselle of exceptional interest. The production is rich in detail, both intelligent and eloquent.  Pacific Northwest Ballet has made Giselle live anew.” --New York Theatre Wire PNB’s production marked the first time an American ballet company had based a production on Stepanov notation as well as the first use in modern times of the rare French sources for Giselle. PNB brought Giselle back in 2014, newly adorned in luxurious 19th century costumes and scenery, conceived and designed by Jérôme Kaplan (Don Quixote, Roméo et Juliette). It was scheduled to be presented again in the spring of 2020, but, well, you know what happened. PNB is thrilled to finally bring Giselle back to the stage for eight performances, February 3 – 12 at Seattle Center’s Marion Oliver McCaw Hall. Tickets start at just $37. The program will also stream digitally from February 16 through 20. Tickets for the digital access are $35. For tickets and additional information, contact the PNB Box Office at 206.441.2424, in person at 301 Mercer Street, or online 24/7 at PNB.org.

ABOUT THE PRODUCTION

Libretto: Jules-Henri Vernoy de Saint-Georges and Théophile GautierMusic: Adolphe Adam (1841), with additional music by Friedrich Burgmüller, Riccardo Drigo, and Ludwig MinkusChoreography: Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, and Marius Petipa, with additional choreography by Peter BoalStaging: Peter BoalHistorical Advisers: Doug Fullington and Marian SmithScenic and Costume Design: Jérôme KaplanLighting Design: Randall G. ChiarelliOriginal Production Premiere: June 28, 1841; Ballet du Théâtre de l'Académie Royale de Musique (Paris), choreography by Jean Coralli and Jules PerrotPetipa Production Premiere: February 5, 1884; Imperial Ballet (St. Petersburg), choreography by Marius Petipa (after Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot)PNB Premiere (Peter Boal Production): June 3, 2011; new production May 30, 2014

Running Time: Two hours and 20 minutes (including one intermission)

Widely acknowledged as the greatest ballet of the Romantic era, Giselle tells the story of a peasant girl who dies of a broken heart after her fiancé is revealed to be a nobleman in disguise. In death, she joins the ranks of the Wilis, supernatural maidens who died before their wedding days and are doomed to take their revenge on men for eternity. In a miraculous display of love beyond the grave, Giselle saves her betrothed from certain death at the hands of her ghostly sisters.

Pacific Northwest Ballet’s production of Giselle has been staged by PNB Artistic Director Peter Boal, utilizing primary sources from Paris and St. Petersburg, with the assistance of dance historians Marian Smith and Doug Fullington, and drawing on the rich tradition of Giselle performances throughout the twentieth century and to the present day.

The sources utilized for Pacific Northwest Ballet's Giselle include a rehearsal score (répétiteur) that may have been prepared in Paris, circa 1842, to assist in the staging of Giselle in St. Petersburg that year. The répétiteur includes detailed information relating to the action of the ballet and how it relates to the score by French composer Adolphe Adam. Another primary French source is a complete notation of Giselle likely made in the 1850s by Henri Justamant. This elaborate notation surfaced in the early 2000s in a private collection in Germany and has since been published. The other important source is a choreographic notation made in St. Petersburg, circa 1899–1903. This notation was made using the Stepanov notation system developed in St. Petersburg in the early 1890s. The production represents French choreographer Marius Petipa's version of Giselle that was based on the original Paris production, choreographed by Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot. The Stepanov notation of Giselle was used in the West for historic stagings by Paris Opéra Ballet and the Vic-Wells Ballet (now the Royal Ballet). 

For additional information about PNB’s unique production of Giselle, including extensive program notes and a full synopsis by Marian Smith and Doug Fullington, visit PNB.org/Giselle.

Two things to note:

1. There's a non-subscription matinee on Saturday, February 11 at 2pm.

2. There's a stream!  It will be released on Thursday, February 16 with access through Monday, February 20 until 11:59pm PST.

SPECIAL EVENTS:

PNB CONVERSATIONS & DRESS REHEARSAL

Thursday, February 2, 5:30 pm

Nesholm Family Lecture Hall at McCaw Hall

Dance historians Marian Smith and Doug Fullington are international experts on Giselle’s historical record. Hear about their work examining and restoring one of ballet’s most enduring tales, in conversation with PNB Artistic Director Peter Boal, moderated by arts and culture reporter Marcie Sillman. Attend the Conversations event only or stay for the dress rehearsal of Giselle. Tickets ($35) may be purchased through the PNB Box Office.

BALLET TALK

Join Giselle historian Doug Fullington for a 30-minute introduction to each performance, including discussions of choreography, music, history, design and the process of bringing ballet to the stage. One hour before performances. FREE for ticketholders.

MEET THE ARTIST

Skip the post-show traffic and enjoy a Q&A with Artistic Director Peter Boal and PNB dancers, immediately following each performance. FREE for ticketholders.

#   #   #

PNB’s 2023 performances of Giselle are made possible by Presenting Sponsor Patty Edwards, and Supporting Sponsor Perkins Coie.

PNB's 2011 world premiere staging of Giselle was made possible by major sponsor Patty Edwards, and an anonymous donor. PNB also thanks Dan & Pam Baty, Jeffrey & Susan Brotman, and Patty Edwards for their leadership support in underwriting new scenery and costumes for the 2014 production of Giselle. Pacific Northwest Ballet’s 2022-2023 season is proudly sponsored by ArtsFund and Microsoft. Special thanks also to 4Culture, National Endowment for the Arts, The Shubert Foundation, and City of Seattle Office of Arts & Culture. PNB’s digital season is made possible by Katherine Graubard and William Calvin. PNB media sponsorship provided by The Seattle Times.

It's a stream, but not a live one.  PNB has been taping the Opening Night performance since sometime last season -- in the beginning, it was the final open dress rehearsal -- but it's made available the Thursday after the last performance the prior Sunday.

But it will be wonderful, nonetheless, and once you purchase the stream/have a subscription that includes the stream, you can watch it as many times as you want during the 4+ day access period.

5 minutes ago, Helene said:

It's a stream, but not a live one.  PNB has been taping the Opening Night performance since sometime last season -- in the beginning, it was the final open dress rehearsal -- but it's made available the Thursday after the last performance the prior Sunday.

But it will be wonderful, nonetheless, and once you purchase the stream/have a subscription that includes the stream, you can watch it as many times as you want during the 4+ day access period.

Thanks for the correction, Helene. I'm still excited! I'm sure it will be wonderful.

2 minutes ago, Grace8 said:

Anyone with wish lists for casting yet? 😃 Hoping to see Lesley Rausch as Giselle with James Kirby Rogers as Albrecht, Cecilia Iliesiu as Myrtha. Wondering if Leta Biasucci, Dylan Wald or Kyle Davis will be back.

Ha, I just saw your post about Leta Biasucci's writings and wanting to see her dance again.  I miss her sooo much!  After seeing her in Act II of Swan Lake I think she has the makings of a great romantic ballerina, which is rare in America.  I would love to see her as Giselle, she has grown into a mature principal dancer.  I've always adored her dancing since she arrived at PNB, she's very unique.

I saw on social media Angelica Generosa and Jonathan Batista are rehearsing together.  I hope to catch one of their shows.  I suspect Lesley will reprise the role, the only returning Giselle, the rest will be debuts.  I would like to see her one last time as well, what a fabulous career she has had.

I also used to really love Leta and Jonathon Poretta in the Peasant Pas.  Angelica used to dance it too, not sure if she will again.  There will be a lot of new casts this run, that's for sure.

Casting is usually two Tuesdays before Opening Night and will be at the bottom of this page:

https://www.pnb.org/season/giselle/

We should know around January 31 for at least first weekend.

Lesley Rausch (2011), 2014 and Lucien Postlewaite (2011) are the only dancers who performed Giselle, Albrecht, or Myrtha in the previous runs; Rausch also dance Zulme in 2011.  In 2014, James Moore debuted as Hilarion and he danced Peasant Pas, as did Leta Biacucci and Anglica Generosa/Kyle Davis.  Elizabeth Murphy danced Moyna and performed Bathilde, and Elle Macy performed Berthe.   Ryan Cardea and Ezra Thomson performed the Old Man in both productions.

I may have missed them, but I don't see any posts about rehearsal clips/photos or dancers' rehearsal comments about casting from public media about the 2020 revival which was cancelled on March 23, 2020, and was scheduled to run April 10-19, along with the Giselle Symposium.  I would think that there would be overlap between 2020 and 2023 casting, since it was just a few years ago.

28 minutes ago, Helene said:

I may have missed them, but I don't see any posts about rehearsal clips/photos or dancers' rehearsal comments about casting from public media about the 2020 revival which was cancelled on March 23, 2020, and was scheduled to run April 10-19, along with the Giselle Symposium.  I would think that there would be overlap between 2020 and 2023 casting, since it was just a few years ago.

IIRC, Sarah Ricard Orza had debuted Giselle in 2014 (one show) and retired at the end of the 2020 season.  I saw here show and her mad scene was terrific, I was really happy I saw it and sad to never see it again.  Noelani Pantastico is another probable 2020 Giselle (wasn't here in 2014 still in France) who was a Principal dancer then who has since retired.  These movements have opened a lot of opportunities for others.

5 hours ago, seattle_dancer said:

I saw on social media Angelica Generosa and Jonathan Batista are rehearsing together.  I hope to catch one of their shows.

Agree! (I'd also like to see them in Don Quixote whenever it returns.)

Recall seeing this PNB YouTube Giselle short in 2020 with Noelani Pantastico and Dylan Wald, back when Zoom was novel 🙄

A reminder for  Thursday, February 2's events; tickets are $30:

Marcie Sillman interviews Peter Boal, Doug Fullington, and Marian Smith [followed by the Dress Rehearsal]

https://www.pnb.org/event/giselle-dress/

PNB Conversations begin at 5:30pm in the Nesholm Family Lecture Hall, with a Dress Rehearsal Performance to follow at 7:00pm in the Susan Brotman Auditorium. Seating for the dress rehearsal opens at 6:30pm and is general admission in First and Second Tiers, on a first-come, first-served basis. (No seating is permitted on the main floor level).

https://order.pnb.org/23-conversations/giselle

20 hours ago, Grace8 said:

I was wondering if there was going to be a 4th and 5th cast for the leads. I'd like to see Sarah-Gabrielle Ryan as Giselle and Amanda Morgan as Myrtha, but don't think I can get to 2 in-person performances this rep. 🙁

Sarah-Gabrielle Ryan and Kyle Davis make their debut second Saturday evening.  You mentioned wanting to see Angelica Generosa and Jonathan Batista earlier, they dance first Saturday matinee, along with Amanda Morgan as Myrtha.  Hopefully those fit your schedules.

I was also pleasantly surprise to see Lesley Rausch has a second show second Saturday matinee, for which I have a ticket, and it's probably her last Giselle ever.  

The 5th cast is Madison Ryan Abeo and Dylan Wald on Sunday, the closing show of the run.

Of course if there are any illnesses or injuries, there could be changes in casting.