This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Winter 2023

50 minutes ago, bellawood said:

Happy new year!

I was just reviewing the offerings coming up -- between 5 performances of the full-length Peck and 14 Sleeping Beautys, there's less variety in the programs and chances for new casting than I would hope. How many casts of Sleeping Beauty? 5?

If anyone has any recommendations for great Auroras (past experience or speculation about new debuts is fine!) to look out for on casting sheets I'd love to hear as I only have the budget for one SL show. 

On SB casting, I think Megan Fairchild is dancing at the height of her powers right now, so I think she could probably still present a very wonderful Aurora.  I'm less sure about Tiler Peck, but I think she will dance at a high level.  Possibly the most authentic performance will be Woodward, because she is younger and has such great technique.  

I'm guessing that additional Auroras will be Phelan  and Emma Von Enck.  

A lot will also depend on Desire.  I think we will definitely see Huxley, Chan and Furlan as Desiree.  I'm not sure Janzen will be case because he is just working his way back from injury.  Ball seems be on a modified work schedule, with limited casting (due to lingering injury?). I can't imagine that Tyler Angle can get through this role at this point in his career, but it's possible.

Interestingly, years ago Harrison Coll was cast in major roles, but his star seems to have fallen at the company.  

I'm rooting for a Mejia Desire.

3 hours ago, bellawood said:

I was just reviewing the offerings coming up -- between 5 performances of the full-length Peck and 14 Sleeping Beautys, there's less variety in the programs and chances for new casting than I would hope.

Agree. I just took a look at the Winter programming and sad to say there's not a whole lot that I want to see. Disappointing. Hoping they will shake things up with some exciting new casting. 

26 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Agree. I just took a look at the Winter programming and sad to say there's not a whole lot that I want to see. Disappointing. Hoping they will shake things up with some exciting new casting. 

Looking at winter I definitely want to see the All Balanchine (Stravinky Violin, Haieff, Valse Fantaisie, Donizetti) and Classic NYCB I ( Allegro Brillante,Liturgy, Walpurgisnacht, Firebird). I'll check out the new Peck. Interestingly, I got a NYCB flyer in the mail that was devoted entirely to promoting that ballet. A full length with so many shows is a big risk. 

On Sleeping Beauty, I've seen both Fairchild and Peck as Aurora. Both were very, very good but I wouldn't say transcendent. I'd love to see Woodward or Emma Von Enck. I've said before, Laracey is one of my all time favorites as Lilac Fairy. I believe Mearns has retired that role. Nadon could get Lilac or Aurora. Sara Adams is another possible Aurora. I'm assuming Bouder won't be back in the role.

Like Cobweb,  I am looking forward to casting. A real changing of the guard is taking place. On a related note, I like Unity Phelan very much, but IMO she's over- used. 

I'm not sure I can make it to New York for SB,  butI would love to see Megan Fairchild and Indiana Woodward as Aurora, as well as any debuts, especially Emma von Enck (but I'm wondering if they'll cast her as Bluebird also or instead?)   During the last Sleeping Beauty run, my daughter and I converged from California and Texas and packed in three performances in one weekend -- Lovette/Gordon, Hyltin/Janzen and Peck/Angle. Lovette and Hyltin charmed me and Gordon was by far the best Desire.  Agree that it would be great to see Chan and Furlan as Desire as well.

Edited by Jacqueline
typos
43 minutes ago, FayBallet said:

I see that there's a 7:00 p.m. Sleeping Beauty performance on Sunday, 02/19. Does anyone know what the occasion is?

It's to make up for the fact that there is no performance on Tues Feb 14.  It must take an entire day to load the scenery for SB.  In fact, for as long as I can recall for SB and for the Martins SL they have to skip the Tuesday show and they add  a 7PM Sunday show. 

Edited by abatt

A little surprised that Veyette is still doing Donizetti. Does he have the energy for that at this point? Not so sure about Tyler Angle in Walpurgisnacht either, but excited to see Mearns. Interesting that LaFreniere gets all three Firebirds the first week. I assume we'll see Mearns cast in other Firebird shows. 

Edited by matilda
5 minutes ago, cobweb said:

A little surprised to see a big opportunity for Christina Clark (in Haieff Divertimento). She is so tall I can’t imagine she has a future beyond the corps, and even then, I’ve been surprised they took such a tall girl into the corps. 

Wasn't Christina Clark  rehearsing the Siren in Prodigal Son during the digital season? I took that to mean that she really has a future.

LaFreniere is spectacular in Firebird.  I saw her last spring. She deserves all three performances in that first week. And anyone who hasn't seen her do it should GO!

Edited by BalanchineFan
55 minutes ago, cobweb said:

A little surprised to see a big opportunity for Christina Clark (in Haieff Divertimento). She is so tall I can’t imagine she has a future beyond the corps, and even then, I’ve been surprised they took such a tall girl into the corps. 

I'm surprised too at the Clark casting in Haieff, also that Unity Phelan isn't doing it. I believe last time it went, Phelan did every performance of it. I hope Mearns will indeed be back, after missing Nutcrackers. It's only the first week so it's hard to judge the season, however Erica Pereira has some nice roles, and no sign of Emma Von Enck yet. 

I admit, I'm getting excited!

3 hours ago, matilda said:

Aurora casting clue alert: Unity rehearsing the Rose Adagio in Chun Wai Chan's Instagram stories

Gilbert Bolden's voice in the background 🤣. Love it.

Ashley Bouder updated that she's still dealing with her foot injury.  I think this is good timing to avoid any and all drama surrounding her as Aurora.  I don't mean I'm happy she's injured, but if it was going to happen, now's a good time to avoid a lot of stress for all parties involved.