This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2022

Today I received an email regarding Nutcracker.  Tickets are now and sale - and casting (principal only) has been posted for ALL performances!!!  Here is the link (as always, casting is subject to change):

CASTING: NUTCRACKER - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

I was really surprised but also pleased to see the casting.  Curious to what others think about the casting.  Performances will be December 8 - December 27.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:27 PM, sf_herminator said:

Today I received an email regarding Nutcracker.  Tickets are now and sale - and casting (principal only) has been posted for ALL performances!!!  Here is the link (as always, casting is subject to change):

CASTING: NUTCRACKER - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

I was really surprised but also pleased to see the casting.  Curious to what others think about the casting.  Performances will be December 8 - December 27.

Wish I could be there, SF Herminator. Joe Walsh posted some photos on Instagram mentioning the different partners he's had. I wouldn't have thought of him as a partner with Kuranaga (but then, why not?):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmFgU6KPUUE/

Seeing Powell and Weeks listed together as Snow Queen and King made me smile. And Nikisha Fogo and Aaron Robison in the Grand Pas should be great. Julia Rowe and Esteban Hernández should be good, and Yuan Yuan with Henry Sidford is also an interesting choice. Sasha De Sola and Isaac Hernández will be a star turn. Norika Matsuyama and Jasmine Jimison as the Sugar Plum Fairy - yeah! But Jimison with Angelo Greco in the Grand Pas is a great idea. Toi toi toi.

One name that seems to be absent from the lists: Natasha Sheehan.

Edited by pherank
On 12/14/2022 at 10:56 PM, PeggyTulle said:

Natasha hasn't posted anything ballet-related in quite some time. Makes me wonder if she's injured. 

I have a feeling that she's been 'detoxifying' herself from social media exposure. But she may well have run into some kind of physical issue. I really hope that isn't the case with Mukhamedov as well. She was taking part in the new ballet rehearsals - that much I know.

Hello, this is my first time watching San Francisco’s ballet the nutcracker. I’ve been checking their website to see if casting is announced…but no luck so far. Now the casting page is no longer on their website…should I keep waiting until the announce casting (there are some wonderful dancers that I would love to see)!! Any suggestions?? Thank you!!!

2 hours ago, Marcela said:

Hello, this is my first time watching San Francisco’s ballet the nutcracker. I’ve been checking their website to see if casting is announced…but no luck so far. Now the casting page is no longer on their website…should I keep waiting until the announce casting (there are some wonderful dancers that I would love to see)!! Any suggestions?? Thank you!!!

Marcela, I just created a thread for Nutcracker 2023 here:
https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/47798-sfb-nutcracker-2023/

SFB tends to be late in posting castings. The evening shows often have the top performers, but with Nutcracker, there can be very good matinee shows too, so I don't think you can really go wrong. It's good that you will get to see Tomasson's Nutcracker, before the new A.D. makes big changes.

Tiit Helimets as Drosselmeyer is always good. This is a period of change at SFB, and a few of the veterans have left, but there are still plenty of great dancers in the company. The Grand Pas de Deux is normally given to the company's best. I wonder if Jasmine Jimison will be dancing it this year.

Edited by pherank
38 minutes ago, Marcela said:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! So…correct me if I’m wrong here…do people not wait for casting to come out at SFB? Should I just buy my tickets and that’s it? 

Do you live in the Bay area, or are you going to be visiting? If you're local, I would recommend going on a couple of different days to see alternate casts.
Have you seen performances in the War Memorial Opera House lately? If you've never been to this Nutcracker before, I would recommend getting a fairly decent seat location, though I know the prices for the general public are rather high. [I suspect the reduced number of 2023 Nutcracker shows is inspiring SFB to hike the ticket prices.] The 'Orchestra Ring' (seats around the outside) tend to be less expensive and the view not too bad. I'm an expert on that area of the opera house.  😉

Edited by pherank

I live in LA so we are driving up there for a show…unfortunately I can only go to one show at the moment…I’m thinking about giving up on casting and just buying tickets…I’m used to seeing ABT but they normally post their casting at one month before shows and I thought I could do the same with SFB! My first show with SFB was March this year - GISELLE with Misa and Angelo!! I didn’t wait for casting and just got my tickets…thinking about doing the same for nutcracker and the dream for next year!

1 minute ago, Marcela said:

I live in LA so we are driving up there for a show…unfortunately I can only go to one show at the moment…I’m thinking about giving up on casting and just buying tickets…I’m used to seeing ABT but they normally post their casting at one month before shows and I thought I could do the same with SFB! My first show with SFB was March this year - GISELLE with Misa and Angelo!! I didn’t wait for casting and just got my tickets…thinking about doing the same for nutcracker and the dream for next year!

Then it's all about buying tickets for the date you can go. I think the safest thing to do would be to go ahead and purchase the tickets for your chosen date and time, and when the casting gets posted you can decide if you need to make a change - it is often not difficult to sell tickets that you can't use on Craigslist:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/tia?purveyor=owner&query=san francisco ballet#search=1~gallery~0~0