This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Live Stream of Cornejo and Boylston in R&J - Sunday, Nov 6

31 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Cornejo posted this on an IG story. He and Boylston are performing in R&J at the Teatro Colon and they're live streaming the performance on the theater's YouTube channel, tomorrow Sunday, Nov 6 at 5pm Argentina time (that's 3pm EST, after tonight's daylight savings).

I think the live stream is free, but cannot confirm.

https://www.youtube.com/c/teatrocolontv/featured

Wow, thank you!

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Reminder: This is starting now!

Thanks for the reminder! Very enjoyable. If Cornejo is contemplating a retirement performance next June, any of those noted so far work (SL, Giselle, R&J), although he is in such good shape, I wonder if he'll hang on a little longer. (And I assume Gillian will retire in a Swan Lake, although she's done the other roles.)

I'm so glad I saw this mentioned on Cornejo's IG! He is a complete and rare artist. Fantastic performance by Cornejo, and such a treat to catch this especially since he had to bow out of his R&J at the Met this year. California, yes, I wonder too if he'll hang on a bit longer. Whenever he does choose to retire, come h*ll or high-water I'll be there.

The last time I saw Boylston as Juliet was several years ago, and unfortunately I don't see any progress. Her dancing is gorgeous, she's a magnificent technician, but her dramatic abilities have rarely impressed me (although she was perfect as Jane Eyre). 

The rest of the cast was fairly mediocre. I kept thinking of Klein and Cirio as Mercutio, Royal and Ribagorda as Benvolio, and Zhurbin, Forster, Ahn as Tibalt.

Regardless, seeing Cornejo was more than worth it.

I am absolutely kicking myself.  I completely forgot about the time, and missed all but the end of the ballet.  Next time I'll have to tape a reminder to my head!   Yes, Cornejo is not dancing like a forty something.  He was really amazing as Puck last week.  

At first it looked like I could replay the ballet as I was able to start from beginning, but it has now frozen me out.     Maybe they just need time to post it?  I'll keep trying......

Glad you both enjoyed it.

28 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

I am absolutely kicking myself.  I completely forgot about the time, and missed all but the end of the ballet.  Next time I'll have to tape a reminder to my head!   Yes, Cornejo is not dancing like a forty something.  He was really amazing as Puck last week.  

At first it looked like I could replay the ballet as I was able to start from beginning, but it has now frozen me out.     Maybe they just need time to post it?  I'll keep trying......

Glad you both enjoyed it.

I would keep checking. They might post it on their YouTube channel, maybe give it 24 hours or something. Yeah, it's hard to believe he's in his 40's.

9 hours ago, NinaFan said:

Oh well, at least I saw the ending. 

ABT Fan - Thanks again for alerting us to the performance.  Wish I'd been on my phone or online as I would have seen your reminder!

eduardo - does Teatro Colon offer many live ballet performances? 

Nina, not sure whether your question is about the live performances or the live broadcasts, since the latter is the topic in this thread.

Live performances: about eight to ten performances of each program. During the current season we've had Giselle (IIRC, the live broadcast with Osipova and Camargo was mentioned here in BA); a mixed bill that included Sinfonietta; Cranko's Onegin; the current R&J and the last title of the season will be Nureyev's The Nutcracker next month (remember that, being in the southern hemisphere, we have inverted seasons, so our ballet and opera seasons are usually from mid or late March to mid or late December).

During the current season the live broadcasts have become regular for opera and ballet. They broadcast just one performance of each title, usually a Sunday afternoon performance (5 pm local time). Unfortunately, the announcements are released on very short notice. IMHO, for anyone that might be interested, the most reliable source to keep track of the broadcasts is their instagram.

On 11/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, ABT Fan said:

I'm so glad I saw this mentioned on Cornejo's IG! He is a complete and rare artist. Fantastic performance by Cornejo, and such a treat to catch this especially since he had to bow out of his R&J at the Met this year. California, yes, I wonder too if he'll hang on a bit longer. Whenever he does choose to retire, come h*ll or high-water I'll be there.

The last time I saw Boylston as Juliet was several years ago, and unfortunately I don't see any progress. Her dancing is gorgeous, she's a magnificent technician, but her dramatic abilities have rarely impressed me (although she was perfect as Jane Eyre). 

The rest of the cast was fairly mediocre. I kept thinking of Klein and Cirio as Mercutio, Royal and Ribagorda as Benvolio, and Zhurbin, Forster, Ahn as Tibalt.

Regardless, seeing Cornejo was more than worth it.

Seeing this performance I am reminded that Stella Abrera never had the opportunity for a farewell performance. Her Lady Capulet is exquisite, and should be remembered. How about a final Lady Capulet for her next Spring? 

8 hours ago, MoMo said:

Seeing this performance I am reminded that Stella Abrera never had the opportunity for a farewell performance. Her Lady Capulet is exquisite, and should be remembered. How about a final Lady Capulet for her next Spring? 

I would love that. I had hoped that would have happened this past summer. 

I imagine that if she'd wanted to do that, they would have let her. But I'm not surprised if she didn't. Having made her peace with the way her performance career ended, I would guess that she wouldn't want to revisit it three years later.

From a June 2020 article in the Times:

But she’s gratified that what turned out to be her final performance was a memorable one: a “Giselle” with James Whiteside, who would have partnered her at the Met. It took place at the Kennedy Center in February, on a stage that she loves. “Before the curtain went up,” she said, “I also had told myself, ‘This might be your last show,’ and you know what? It was.”

Ms. Abrera sees it almost as a blessing. Thinking about her final show, she said, “I imagined it was going to be fraught with emotion and nerves — just a very intense experience. So I was preparing myself for that. And now that I don’t have to sit through to that or I don’t get to do that — I guess it depends on how you look at it — I can feel really, really grateful that I had that ‘Giselle’ in D.C. with a lot of my family who came to that show. And with James.”

14 hours ago, eduardo said:

Nina, not sure whether your question is about the live performances or the live broadcasts, since the latter is the topic in this thread.

Live performances: about eight to ten performances of each program. During the current season we've had Giselle (IIRC, the live broadcast with Osipova and Camargo was mentioned here in BA); a mixed bill that included Sinfonietta; Cranko's Onegin; the current R&J and the last title of the season will be Nureyev's The Nutcracker next month (remember that, being in the southern hemisphere, we have inverted seasons, so our ballet and opera seasons are usually from mid or late March to mid or late December).

During the current season the live broadcasts have become regular for opera and ballet. They broadcast just one performance of each title, usually a Sunday afternoon performance (5 pm local time). Unfortunately, the announcements are released on very short notice. IMHO, for anyone that might be interested, the most reliable source to keep track of the broadcasts is their instagram.

Yes, I did mean broadcasts, but I welcome all of the information you provided.  I did see some snippets of the Giselle with Osipova/ Camargo and the mixed bill with Sinfonietta when I was searching for R&J, but quickly realized that they were not the complete programs.  

The opera house looks absolutely gorgeous!     

Thanks again for all  of the information.  Hopefully I'll catch a performance soon.

Edited by NinaFan
typo
On 11/8/2022 at 9:05 AM, NinaFan said:

The opera house looks absolutely gorgeous!     

Indeed! But I'm a local, so I might be biased.

On 11/8/2022 at 9:05 AM, NinaFan said:

Thanks again for all  of the information.  Hopefully I'll catch a performance soon.

My pleasure. About the chance of catching a future performance, I'd suggest you to look for announcements one or two days before December 18th. So far, that's the only performance of Nutcracker scheduled for a Sunday, so I bet that's the one that will be streamed. Guest dancers will be Maria Yakovleva and Davide Dato, from Wiener Staatsballett.

5 hours ago, eduardo said:

My pleasure. About the chance of catching a future performance, I'd suggest you to look for announcements one or two days before December 18th. So far, that's the only performance of Nutcracker scheduled for a Sunday, so I bet that's the one that will be streamed. Guest dancers will be Maria Yakovleva and Davide Dato, from Wiener Staatsballett.

Thank you!  I'll be sure to start checking around December 16.