This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

I don't know how I feel about a critic being so open about having favorites.  Of course they all have their preferences,  but it tends to cast doubt on her ability to assess performances fairly.

What is the lesson of the "Solange effect"?  You can attract new audiences if you provide an incentive for them to show up.  It's not just Ms. Knowles' music,  or her proximity to Beyoncé,  although that counts.  Young people,  especially young Black people in NYC,   tend to be heavily invested in fashion and art.  They like dressing up for an occasion.  It costs thousands of dollars to attend affairs like the Met gala.  The most expensive ticket to NYCB,  at Lincoln Center no less,  is a bargain.  (Not to get too heavy,  but at one time,  Black people were punished for being too well-dressed in public.  When Bert Williams was the undisputed star of the Ziegfeld Follies,  he was booed off the stage for wearing a tux.)

On 10/21/2022 at 7:15 PM, On Pointe said:

...What is the lesson of the "Solange effect"?  You can attract new audiences if you provide an incentive for them to show up.  It's not just Ms. Knowles' music,  or her proximity to Beyoncé,  although that counts.  Young people,  especially young Black people in NYC,   tend to be heavily invested in fashion and art.  They like dressing up for an occasion. ..

The program Visionary Voices NYCB-Kennedy Center 2023 has an open programming slot and the Reisen-Solange should be added to the mixed bill.  Plus I like the music and the few clips available online. NYT compared the ticket sales to box office generated for a Swan Lake.  

Can't see NYCB on the page - calender link  New York City Ballet | Kennedy Center (kennedy-center.org)

Edited by maps
other KC comment moved

I don't know how I feel about a critic being so open about having favorites.  Of course they all have their preferences,  but it tends to cast doubt on her ability to assess performances fairly.

My  reaction was negative.   I would be more comfortable not knowing her favorites.  But then I am not a fan of Kourlas in general.

Seven favorite dancers, though, out of the 12-20 some people who are dancing the most and garnering the most attention? It doesn't seem that biased to me. I read your comment before I read the article, and the article didn't make me question Kourlas' fairness. Other things she's written do, but that's a different story.