This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

United in Dance: Segerstrom - November 11, 2022

California

A very unusual program for Saturday, November 11 was just announced by Segerstrom. Note that it is in the Concert Hall instead of Segerstrom Hall where the ballet usually performs. I don't recognize most of the dancer names and wonder how many are refugees from Russia and Ukraine. https://www.scfta.org/events/2022/reunited-in-dance

Featuring dancers -

Xander Parish (UK, former principal dancer at the Mariinsky)
Jacopo Tissi (Italy, formerly with the Bolshoi)
Svetlana Bednenko (Ukraine, formerly with the Mikhailovsky)
Christine Shevchenko (Ukraine, currently with ABT)
Andrea Laššáková (Slovak Republic, formerly with the Mikhailovsky)
Adrian Blake Mitchell (U.S., formerly with the Mikhailovsky)
Boris Zhurilov (Russia, formerly with Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Theatre)
Ilya Jivoyi (Russia, formerly with the Mariinsky)
Lizi Avsajanishvili (Georgia, formerly with the Mariinsky)
David Motta Soares (Brazil, formerly with the Bolshoi)
Jasmine Sophie Henry (Australia, formerly with the Mariinsky)
Vsevolod Maevsky (Ukraine, formerly with the Mariinsky)
Anastasia Demidova (Russia, formerly with the Mariinsky)
Katia Raj (U.S., formerly with the Saint Petersburg State Academic Leonid Yacobson Ballet Theatre)
Veronika Selivanova (U.S., formerly with the Mariinsky)
Alexis Tutunnique (Ukraine, formerly with National Opera of Ukraine and currently with The United Ukrainian Ballet)
Joy Womack (U.S., formerly with Astrakhan Opera and Ballet Theatre)
Maxim Zenin (Russia, formerly with the Mariinsky)
Laura Fernandez (Switzerland and Ukraine, formerly with Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Theatre).

Christine Shevchenko is not a refugee, obviously, but Alexis Tutunnique certainly is. The others were until recently employed by Russian ballet companies. Adrian Blake Mitchell's account of how he and Andrea Laššáková left Russia was quite frightening, and what Laura Fernandez's family endured in Mariupol was harrowing. Others, like Parish, Tissi, Soares and Womack explained publicly why they couldn't stay in Russia. I'm guessing their statements are still available on Instagram. Parish is now working in Oslo, Tissi in Milan, Soares in Berlin.

Edited by volcanohunter

Maevsky (Ukraine, formerly with the Mariinsky), was a Mariinsky Princeling prominently featured in WB Day 2021 rising star panel and Feb 2022 Tereshkina class.  Now at Semperop MAIEVSKYI VSEVOLOD (@vsevolod_maievskyi) • Instagram photos and videos   Nagahisi (Japan} returned Мариинский театр / Mariinsky (@mariinsky) • Instagram photos and videos

I wish the Kennedy Center would have Parish put together programs.  

I hope to be there, so I’ll try to relate how it went. Since I doubt that I’ll be going to Saint Petersburg as usual this year, this sort of thing might be the closest that some of us will get. I join Maps in wishing that other places get to experience it as well.

Xander, as an organiser, did a bit of this while he was still at the Mariinsky. Where he got the time and energy certainly seems impressive. The event should be high quality. It certainly will take on a new significance. How this sort of thing plays out could be very interesting and hopefully rewarding. Adding someone like Olga Smirnova would certainly have an impact.

Here’s a bit more information from the announcement that California posted.

"....dancers from around the world who left Russia following the invasion of Ukraine.... [with the exception of ABT's Christine Shevchenko ( and Alexis Tutunniqueas? no others?) as Volcanohunter pointed out] 

“Led by British-born Artistic Director Xander Parish….

“….the world premiere of a new ballet choreographed by Parish to Tchaikovsky’s Children’s Album

“….a performance of Christopher Wheeldon’s After the Rain; selections from Le Corsaire, Raymond, and Paquita; and more.”

Added: The performance is actually Nov.12, not the 11th. The “11/12” posted in the announcement can be confusing.

Edited by Buddy

This might become an ongoing project and an ongoing company as suggested in this Instagram. This would seem very good. And once again I wonder if Olga Smirova has ever been contacted. She appeared at the Fall for Dance in New York City, Oct. 1& 2.

Apparently the group performed here once before at the beginning of the month in some sort of trial event. I’ve seen no other mention of it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjRHTdbtuAi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

(Thanks to FionaE at BalletcoForum)

“….the first public performance of our newly created company of dancers who left Russia & Ukraine is now on sale!!!

The show will be on the 12th November….”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjnp4OktiDZ/

The Segerstrom family has always been very supportive of the ballet from Russia. This may be the beginning of a road back to what was something to really look forward to.

Xander Parish

"Both Ukraine and Russia have been a huge part of the lives of the people in our group, many of whom have faced great difficulty with the escalating tension between countries, people and families. We would like to do our part in creating peace and promoting it in our own language of dance.

"We as a group want nothing except for peace and healing between Russia and Ukraine and our performance now is simply born of our desire to be reunited with each other in the love of dance and to share the stage together again, something which looked impossible after we dispersed around the globe. Every dancer in our company has come a long way to be here and we hope you also will join us too."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjnp4OktiDZ/

As someone whose attended the Mariinsky International Ballet Festival in Saint Petersburg 17 years in a row I totally support this sentiment.

Edited by Buddy

Our naomikage flagged this from AFP, featuring soundbites from Joy Womack and Xander Parish.

If Parish is hoping to establish a Way-After-Petipa company in greater Los Angeles, well, good luck with that, especially since ABT has an arrangement with the Segerstrom Center and may have something to say about it.

Another name has caught my attention on the list of artists that suggests the high quality of performances that might be seen. She’s Lizi Avsajanishvili who left the Mariinsky after about two years, probably last June. Although she’s from Georgia, I haven’t seen any reason to think that it was political. I liked her very much as the lead in a Vaganova production that I saw several years before her graduation. I was sure that she’d have a fine career at the Mariinsky but she left and joined the Corps de Ballet at the Staatsballett in Berlin. I greatly look forward to seeing her.

Added: Laura Fernandez, who’s half Ukrainian and half Spanish, on the other hand, has stated to at least one major newspaper that her reason for leaving was definitely because of the political climate that she was noticing all around her.

Edited by Buddy
dates corrected and "Added"

Some important ticket information.

There are only about 40 seats left and they’re almost all in the second to top balcony.

It seems very unusual because I checked the first day of the announcement and all the regular Ground Floor (Orchestra) seats were “Unavailable.” I assumed that they weren’t on sale yet. Today I finally called and indeed most of the seats (1,400 est.) are taken according to two operators. One suggested that some large groups might have purchased them. Your guess is as good as mine.

I guess that the unusual sales situation, the entire ground floor at least (except for handicap seating) was sold out before seats were even available to the general public, does imply that there’s a definite interest in this event. The sales operator thought that any chance to see a group of prominent ballet dancers from Russia might produce such a response at this time. There are still about 130 seats available  (not an estimate of 40 as I was told) in the second to top balcony.

Xander Parish has expressed the feeling (his and the other dancers) that the performance will be presented in the spirit of hope, peace and goodwill.

On 10/17/2022 at 1:22 PM, Buddy said:

Another name has caught my attention on the list of artists that suggests the high quality of performances that might be seen. She’s Lizi Avsajanishvili who left the Mariinsky after about two years, probably last June. Although she’s from Georgia, I haven’t seen any reason to think that it was political.

I could not say that "I haven't seen any reason" to think that Avsajanishvili's decisions have been impacted by the war.  I don't know what her reasons are...sure.

Speaking generally, to me it does not seem to be a compliment to a dancer to say she or he is giving no thought to the war.  As far as Avsajanishvili goes, whatever her reasons, it may well have been wrenching to leave the Mariinsky. I hope she has a great ballet career wherever she goes.

I do believe Parish's way of talking about his project in terms of "healing" etc. suggests that he does seek to find as "apolitical" a language as possible to frame what he is doing even though what he is doing is necessitated by the war. He is not, for example, presenting this event as a performance in solidarity with Ukraine.  I have thoughts about this but there is no way to express them without indeed being very political.

An interesting short piece on what is happening in Russia that, in its final paragraphs, addresses Russian literary and cultural responses to the war outside of official institutions (such as the Bolshoi or Mariinsky) appeared in the New Yorker this past week.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/10/17/the-war-in-ukraine-launches-a-new-battle-for-the-russian-soul

Edited by Drew
grammar

Thanks, Drew, for your thoughts and interest.

Just from an artistic point of view there are some interesting possibilities.

I’m not sure to what extent the group/company will wish to stay together and if it did whether it could find some sort of home at the Segerstrom or would want to. A lot might depend on how well the performance goes. There was a trial one in early October, not announced for public attendance that I know of. Apparently it went well enough that this one has been scheduled.

Demand for tickets has been so great that the ground floor at least was sold out (except for some handicap seats) before being available to the general public (still a curious situation, who got those tickets?). Now the upper balcony, originally closed, is being made available with another 240 seats.

As I mentioned, the telephone salesperson that I talked to thought that folks might really just want to see some high quality ‘Russian’ ballet. This seems reasonable. Remember the crowds in London that came to see the Bolshoi when it started touring in the fifties. Also folks might be curious as to how the current ‘world situation’ is being reflected in this part of the arts.

I have a ticket, second to the top balcony, and would like to see how it goes before I get too interested. Xander Parish might be the senior member and the impetus behind it all. He’s taken on the position of its Artistic Director and is perhaps also capable of being a very competent coach. If the group/company holds together, it could certainly be a focus for the ‘Russian classical style’ outside of Russia. To let my imagination run even further, it could become some sort of hybrid such as the Diaghilev and Balanchine companies. California is certainly a place where something like this could happen. Or it could stay firmly classical. Most of the Mariinsky/Bolshoi ballet that’s been seen at the Segerstrom and all of California has been pure classical and very well received. Still the hybrid idea somewhat ‘intrigues’ me.

I have to add my personal feelings that hopefully the ‘world situation’ will allow the arts to flow freely again as soon as possible and that would have a large effect on this sort of thing. I think that this is the current philosophy of the ‘Reunited’ group as well.

Edited by Buddy

One entry on the list has caught my attention, “Ilya Jivoyi (Russia, formerly with the Mariinsky).”  He’s now a choreographer who’s been very active with the Mariinsky since 2013. He also works internationally having done most of his new works outside Russia in 2021-2. I would think that he could have a very active career right now at the Mariinsky. Does anyone know more about him ?  Here’s what looks to be his official description of himself.

https://jivoydance.com

My only guess, unless he’s taken a political stand, is that he wants to participate internationally and this grouping of artists sharing his own cultural background is one that he would be very comfortable with.

Here’s a recent instagram that he’s posted.

“Thank you Chris for your trust, thank you Xander for your huge talent and friendship, thank you Elizabeth for your attention and support, Elina, Masha, dear Gavriel, dear dancers and team members! Thank you!!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjpMclvoVD1/?hl=en

How things seem to come around —- My favorite work by him was presented at the 2017 Mariinsky Festival as part of a work, “The Dreamers,” commissioned by Sergei Danilian (Ardani Artists) in memory of  Henry Segerstrom, who had just passed away.

It might seem that his association here is a totally artistic one. I also toyed with the idea in my previous post of the “Reunited” group charting some new artistic directions. Again from his Biography :

“Educated in one of the best ballet schools in the world – Vaganova Ballet Academy and having extensive experience performing both classical and modern ballets at the Mariinsky Theater, Ilya Jivoy connects his work with the aesthetics and beauty of the Russian Ballet School. Although he rethinks it, tries to find and discover new facets, experiments with the form and content, as well as uses modern theatrical techniques, combined with the fundamental foundations of classical ballet, neoclassicism, contemporary style and modern choreography.”

Added:  Just found this which will answer part of my question:

"But even without a call-up, the drumbeat of conflict was crowding out the cultural spaces, says Ilya Jivoy. A native of St. Petersburg with a 26-year career, Jivoy left Russia with his Ukrainian wife as war broke out."

https://www.kuwaittimes.com/ballet-stars-who-fled-russias-ukraine-war-reunite-in-us/

Edited by Buddy

As with Ratmansky, the Mariinsky has erased Ilya Jivoy's name from his ballets.

The Four Seasons
Jeu de cartes
Pulcinella
Sous la coupole

Last week Tutunnique posted an interview from the Ukrainian edition of L'Officiel Hommes. He mentioned in passing that Parish was trying to establish a ballet company in California, though Tutunnique was under the impression that Parish was trying to distance himself from his Mariinsky past, which is not how the event is being marketed. After so many incidents kidnapping, deportation, torture, murder, rape--including of young children and the elderly--castration, mutilation, dismemberment, pillage and destruction, the bombing of museums, apartment blocks, seed banks and power stations, the burning of books and grain fields, the desecration of churches and theft of art, I have a feeling that Ukrainians are in no mood for a kumbaya moment of "peace and healing." It will be interesting to see whether Tutunnique ultimately participates.

As for what sort of ballets Parish wants to present "here as they were there," and what "essence" he wants to preserve from Russia, that is unclear. If it's a question of giving Jivoy's canceled ballets a venue, that's one thing. If it's a question of presenting Konstantin Sergeyev-lite, I wonder whether that's even needed. Ballet professionals who fled the Bolsheviks had legitimate doubts about the future of ballet in post-revolutionary Russia. These dancers have left an extremely reactionary society. Ballets by Ratmansky and Jivoy will disappear, and licensing agreements for the works of foreign choreographers will expire. What is in absolutely no danger of being lost is the choreography of K. Sergeyev and Grigorovich. And there is no shortage of émigré teachers trained in the Russo-Soviet school, outstanding artists among them, working throughout the world.

Edited by volcanohunter

The “Reunited” group represents a very noteworthy part of human activity and identity — art, human values and beauty. To whatever extent it can add to this, I wish it as much success as possible.

I’ll be very interested to see what Ilya Jivoy might offer and Xander Parish is also going to perform a work that he, himself, has created. The quality of all the performances could be quite fine. I’ve also found in a group as diverse in publicly recognised artists as this one that there are always some very pleasant surprise performances. As to what artistic direction and identity this group/company might take, there are some very promising possibilities.

Jivoy --whose wife as Buddy notes is Ukrainian--was one of the first to leave Russia/the Mariinsky after the invasion and issued a statement.  I continue to be baffled by the speculative suggestion that amidst an absolutely brutal invasion initiated by Russia, dancers who have had steady and even prominent work at the leading companies in Russia may have just coincidentally and merely for "artistic" reasons decided to spread their wings and depart. But we don't have to speculate with Jivoy--here is another article that quotes him: https://ph.news.yahoo.com/ballet-stars-fled-russias-ukraine-012750796.html

Ballet of a certain kind flourished under the Bolsheviks and it might have seemed for a while after the Soviet Union fell that Russian Ballet could give us an interesting blend of both worlds--their traditions more or less intact but inflected and extended by exposure to ballet in the rest of the world.  That project is at an end for the foreseeable future.  I still don't doubt that even as the country is being walked off a cliff, Russia will continue to train and produce ravishing dancers who, in the limited repertory they have, will accomplish great things.  But the institutions that enable them to do that are nothing that Parish or other emigres can reproduce in the West. That doesn't mean he can't do good things (though hardly unique ones--there are plenty of ex-Soviet/Russian teachers in the West in addition to non-Russian artists who studied in Russia and have absorbed those traditions. ABT has KOLPAKOVA no less). I hope Parish does good things--heck, if he successfully founds a classical company in Southern California, then he can legitimately claim to be something of a miracle worker.

I make no apology for caring about the future of ballet, including Russian traditions I love, even amidst war--but  none of this is comfort to Russians being sent to prison or to the front lines (whatever they think of the war) and even less to Ukrainians being bombed in their own homes etc.

Edited to add: I know very well that I, too, live in a country experiencing crises.

Edited by Drew

These are the opening few sentences to a brief newspaper article describing the event as has been described here already. Still, I thought that these several sentences, that sort of comes from out of nowhere, might be worth including here.

“Dance has the power to move audiences through movement. Dance can express emotions when words alone fail. Dance can provide hope in hopeless times.”

(I might edit it by saying  “ ’seemingly’ hopeless times.” )

https://www.newportbeachindy.com/reunited-in-dance-at-segerstrom-center-on-nov-12-features-dancers-impacted-by-the-war-in-ukraine/

Edited by Buddy

This is something about Xander Parish that I posted at another forum and would like to post here as well:

Xander Parish has to be commended, I believe, both for his outstanding artistic ability (former Mariinsky Principal) as well as for his organisational skills and determination. In addition, I believe that he’s trying to take the ‘high road’ in what he’s doing here, along with the other artists, working for a better world and for this I have to congratulate him and them.

Xander Parish (UK, former principal dancer at the Mariinsky)

These are some of the artists that catch my attention and that I’m the most familiar with.

Christine Shevchenko (Ukraine, currently with ABT) — I’ve seen her several times and think that at her best she’s a remarkable talent.

Jacopo Tissi (Italy, formerly with the Bolshoi) and David Motta Soares (Brazil, formerly with the Bolshoi) — Although I’ve not seen either of them on stage, they are highly accomplished artists.   

Lizi Avsajanishvili (Georgia, formerly with the Mariinsky) — I have seen her perform as an outstanding Vaganova student and think that she has very fine promise.

Joy Womack (U.S., formerly with Astrakhan Opera and Ballet Theatre) — Joy Womack, a center of attention over the years, she’s also capable of some very fine dancing.

Anastasia Demidova (Russia, formerly with the Mariinsky)  She’s Xander Parish’s wife and she’s from the Mariinsky.

Laura Fernandez (Switzerland and Ukraine, formerly with Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Theatre). I don’t know that much about her, but she’s obviously highly talented (also formerly Mariinsky) and her experiences this year have been very heart-touching ones.

Ilya Jivoyi (Russia, formerly with the Mariinsky) — I’m very curious to see what he might create for this event as a choreographer.

As I’ve said before, it’s always been the case for me that exceptional performances can come from any of the artists, being a very pleasant surprise. Also you have to add their recent, often compelling, life stories.

This is a brief email interview with Xander Parish in Point Magazine.

https://pointemagazine.com/reunited-in-dance-xander-parish/

What do you want the artists and the audience to get out of this performance?

"I want the artists to be encouraged and know that even though we’ve all left a lot behind, there is a future and hope, and my hope is that this will grow into bigger things which we can all be part of. I’m grateful to all who’ve bought tickets—I’m told we’ve pretty much sold out—so I simply want our audience to enjoy themselves and partake of the atmosphere of positivity and joy, which we dancers will certainly be feeling as we dance together again!""

It seems to me that over the years the Segerstrom family has been very supportive of the ballet from Russia. This article for the first time that I’ve read mentions,  “Elizabeth Segerstrom….whose family fled the Soviet regime during World War II.”

The community came together in a big way, from philanthropist Elizabeth Segerstrom to the dancers, to make this happen.

"Elizabeth Segerstrom has been incredible in her kindness and empathy for our collective situations. Our desire to dance together again despite being dispersed across the globe (the dancers are flying in from all over the place) touched her heart, and she has made it possible for this idea to become a reality."

Xander Parish also comments on his motivation to do this and on the new piece that he choreographed.

Added:

From the photos we can assume that Xander Parish will appear in his new creation, “Ballet 101,” Joy Womack in “Don Quixote,” Veronika Selivanova  in “The Dying Swan” and Andrea Lassakova and Adrian Blake Mitchell in “After The Rain.’

Edited by Buddy

This is what I just wrote at another forum, which I hope will be interesting here as well.

The evening had a very nice feel to it. I thought that it was very personal. Each performer had a story to tell in his or her presence alone and it was a sympathetic one.

The evening, which lasted over three hours with one intermission, was pure performing except for about five minutes at the beginning when a large image was projected on the stage of each artist, who would offer a few comments about what they had experience and how they felt. The comments, as I perceived them, were reflective, understanding and hopeful.

The works presented seemed sensitive to what is going on in the part of the world that they just left. There wasn’t any uproarious  comedy, for instance, and there wasn’t acrimony either.

I also felt that each artist was trying his or her best. Some, according to Xander’s interview hadn’t danced since they left Russia, and you could almost feel how grateful they were to have the chance to be artists and poets again.

There was a fine unity to their exceptional artistry. They had all thoroughly trained in the artistic culture that they had just left (except for Christine Shevchenko, I believe) and it was so evident in just the way that they moved or how they carried themselves. Xander, himself, in his video segment, expressed his still warm feelings for the rich artistic heritage that he had just left and for all that is still good there, even though his remarkable career, and those of the others, could no longer be continued because of the actions of some there. His overall sentiment, I believe is one of hope and looking towards the future. It seems to be shared by the others who now may well have a new artistic home and voice if the company is able to continue and grow, and this seems quite possible.

I’ll try to get to the actual performances next.

13 hours ago, Drew said:

Thanks for reporting ...would be happy to hear about the performances...

Again, as posted at another forum.

The works performed were:

The Ballet Class

choreographed by Xander Parish

seven female and five male dancers

The Nineth Wave

danced by Jacopo Tissi

White Swan Adagio, Swan Lake

danced by Chistine Shevchenco and Xander Parish

BA//CH Solo

choreographed and danced by Ilya Jivoy

Pas de Deux, Don Quixote

danced by Lizi Avsajanishvili and David Motta Soares

Intermission

After The Rain

danced by Andrea Lassakova and Adrian Blake Mitchell

Ballet 101

danced by Xander Parish

Pas de Deux, The Nutcracker

danced by Laura Fernandez and Boris Zhurilov

The Dying Swan

danced by Svetlana Bednenko

Pas de Deux, The Flames of Paris

danced by Joy Womack and Vsevolod Maevsky

Selections from Paquita

danced by Lizi Avsajanishvili, Jasmine Sophie Henry, Katia Raj, Veronika Selivanova and David Motta Soares

Pas de Deux, Le Corsaire

danced by Chistine Shevchenco and Jacopo Tissi

The ones that I really enjoyed are no surprise. The White Swan Adagio, The Dying Swan and After The Rain. I liked Xander’s The Ballet Class.

And, as I sometimes say, there will always be a very pleasant surprise. This time it was Selections from Paquita because of the uniformly elegant performances of the four females, three of which I’d never heard of before. I’ll try to get into some detail at another time.