This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, September 29

dirac

Northern Ballet appoints a new executive director.

[David] Collins will join Northern Ballet from Opera North, where he is currently Executive Director and Deputy CEO at Opera North. He first started working with the opera company in 2016 as Director of External Affairs, leading the marketing, box office, communications, digital and development teams and more recently oversaw the Music Works £18m redevelopment programme.

Philadelphia Ballet breaks ground on its new headquarters.

Once finished, it will be the first time all of the company’s operations will be under one roof. Over its 59-year history, the Philadelphia Ballet has been bouncing from Center City to South Broad to East Falls to North Broad, without ever having its administrative offices and rehearsal spaces in the same place.

A review of New York City Ballet by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

It was a lesson I’ve never forgotten: When it comes to dance and fashion, fashion — with its resources, its stars, its seasonal newness — has the upper hand. For the past 10 years, City Ballet has continued its annual fashion gala, relegating choreographers and dancers to second-tier collaborators. Beyond fundraising, how do these events serve ballet? And how do they hope to make smart viewers out of people new to the art form?

A list of favorite ballet-themed fiction and non-fiction by Martha Anne Toll for Literary Hub.

Ballet is present tense, a fleeting partnership between dancer and audience; once performed, lost forever. Ballet’s transience distinguishes it from writing and presents challenges for getting it on the page. As I breathed life into my protagonist, Katya, in Three Muses, I would have predicted I’d scout the dance literature to learn how other writers do it. I did, but with this caveat: I read lots of ballet novels along the way but avoided memoir, to keep my mental real estate clear as I was creating my own prima ballerina. Once my book was slated for publication, I dove into ballet memoirs. I felt unleashed, free to discover the many hidden gems in the literature. In some cases, I loved the way the writer embedded ballet into their story; in others, I admired the dancer’s story for its own sake; in still others, I was in awe of the writer’s ability to capture this evanescent artform on the not-so-evanescent page.  Here are a list of the best fiction and memoirs about ballet.