This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Ballet Day 2022

The Australian Ballet sent out an e-mail announcing that World Ballet Day will take place on November 2 this year. With only two of the original five companies remaining, and a nine-hour time difference between eastern Australia and the UK, it will probably be difficult to produce a continuous stream of programs, but I expect there will be a glut of company classes taking place simultaneously in the Central European zone.

World Ballet Day returns on Wednesday 2 November 2022 to unite the dance community across the globe.

Over the course of the day, rehearsals, classes and behind-the-scenes exclusives will be streamed for free across 6 continents, offering glimpses of ballet’s biggest stars and up-and-coming performers.

Following on from the success of last year – which saw over 50 companies take part – it will showcase the very best of the art form, both in terms of its long history and its vibrant future.

The Australian Ballet will open the day at 11am. Join us on YouTube to watch for free.

Visit australianballet.com.au/world-ballet-day or follow us on social media for updates.

https://worldballetday.com/

Many more company logos have been added to the World Ballet Day site:

Royal New Zealand Ballet; Australian Ballet; National Ballet of Japan, Korean National Ballet, Universal Ballet; Cloud Gate Dance Theater, Hong Kong Ballet, West Australian Ballet, Singapore Ballet; Bangkok City Ballet
(Nice!  :thumbsup:)

Estonian National Ballet, Sofia Opera Ballet; Polish National Ballet, Royal Danish Ballet (:yahoo:), Staatsballett Berlin, Bavarian State Ballet, Vienna State Ballet;
Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Scottish Ballet, Royal Academy of Dance

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ballet Concierto de Puerto Rico, Ballet Nacional de Cuba, Acosta Danza; San Francisco Ballet

Edited by volcanohunter
companies listed by time zone order

Looks like there are 24 logos, so there will be 24 one hour segments - presumably pre-recorded. SFB said that they would be showing some company class and some rehearsal time. That's a lot to pack into 1 hour. Hopefully WBD will publish an hour by hour schedule before the date.

There will be at least 26 companies, including "core" presenters Royal Ballet and Australian Ballet. In years past, the main feeds included half-hour guest segments. More recently it was a decentralized affair, with multiple companies going live simultaneously on their own YouTube channels.

I can't imagine the Royal Ballet limiting itself to an hour, given that its hour-plus company class is always the most viewed component of World Ballet Day--some years have accumulated 4 million views--and the ROH video/streaming department is top-notch.

There is a lot of potential for online logjams, because Taipei, Hong Kong, Perth and Singapore are in the same time zone, so are Copenhagen, Berlin, Munich, Vienna and Warsaw, and the same goes for New York, San Juan and Havana (x2). On the other hand, there's a substantial gap between Bangkok and Sofia/Tallinn. I fully expect the Royal Ballet to keep going until the Eastern time zone is ready to take over.

Edited by volcanohunter
On 9/16/2022 at 9:54 PM, volcanohunter said:

There will be at least 26 companies, including "core" presenters Royal Ballet and Australian Ballet. In years past, the main feeds included half-hour guest segments. More recently it was a decentralized affair, with multiple companies going live simultaneously on their own YouTube channels.

Which begs the question: how exactly does one watch this thing? Or is really about taking a number of days to troll through assorted YouTube offerings?

3 minutes ago, pherank said:

Which begs the question: how exactly does one watch this thing? Or is really about taking a number of days to troll through assorted YouTube offerings?

Yes, for the past few years that's exactly how it's been, and while I watched a few streams, I definitely didn't watch them all.

But I hope that each of those logos will lead to the relevant feed. In that regard the central site could be very useful.

I certainly can't watch everything on offer in 24 hours, but I'm still so pleased that everyone is bringing themselves to this joint project -- especially during the limitations of the pandemic, many of us relied on streaming programming to see what we could see.  As people continue the shift back into the theater, I'm glad to see many companies continue to offer online access -- World Ballet Day is another way to get this window in front of audiences.