This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, September 2

dirac

Q&A with Oleg Ivenko.

Do you feel it’s important to be out in the world representing Ukraine at the moment?

It’s very important. I know dancers, painters and actors all over the world who were born in Ukraine, and right now we have to do what we can to bring joy, and to show how important art is. We’re trying to do that and we’ll keep doing it.

The pianist Pavel Kolesnikov talks about collaborating with Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker.

Kolesnikov lights up when he remembers the first rehearsal where De Keersmaeker revealed her choreography. “I was fascinated and touched. It was very exciting to see those ideas, which I had planned to music, applied to dance. I had created my musical landscape, and she had created her choreographic landscape. And we did it at a distance because of Covid. But they really came together. You could finally see the puzzle, but in a very unexpected way. So it was all a complete surprise – her movements, her costume, just everything. It was very exciting and heart-warming to be involved in this intense creative process, and work with Anne Teresa because I respect her so much. I’m always saying it is possibly one of the most satisfying collaborations of my life.”