This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, September 3

dirac

Q&A with Ian Ocampo of Ballet Philippines.

What were the skills you acquired while training for two dance companies? Did it help with your present experience with Ballet Philippines?

I have worked with two ballet companies before I got into BP. The first one was the Quezon City Ballet (QCB) under the artistic direction of Shirley Halili-Cruz and PBT under Ronillo Jayanario. With the number of shows we have with QCB, it taught me to be not only a dancer, but a performer who gives his all every time he sets foot on the stage. Grit and virtuosity — these are the learnings I have acquired during my time in those companies which helped me become an effective dancer for BP. Ballet Philippines has the most rich repertoire in terms of choreographers and staged ballets and one of the challenges that I have faced was learning modern ballet. I had to work extra to keep up with the demands of the company. It was not the easiest but it made me a better dancer.

A look at the life and impact of Rudolf Nureyev by Debra Craine in The Times.

Yes, says Nehemiah Kish, the former Royal Ballet star who is curating Nureyev: Legend and Legacy, a tribute season of five gala performances at Theatre Royal Drury Lane in London this month. “For male dancers today, they live in a world where the status of the male dancer has been elevated and we need to acknowledge the reason for that,” Kish says. “Nureyev was so profound in his reach and global impact, and it’s important to highlight how much his legacy is still shaping the dance world today.”