This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, July 29

dirac

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet celebrates its fiftieth anniversary of presenting "Ballet in the Park."

The Company will perform Agnes de Mille's ballet Rodeo, a theatrical tale of love triangles and empowerment. The Professional Division of the RWB School will perform the classical Spanish-flavoured Paquita pas de Trois. The Recreational Division will perform Burgeon, which is choreographed by former Company artist Yosuke Mino for the Advanced Intensive Training Program Contemporary class and Sparkling Diamonds, choreographed by Nicole Kepp, the Recreational Division Principle for the Jazz Junior Dance Ensemble. 

Dancer and choreographer Darius Barnes has died at age 34.

A devoted dancer, Mr. Barnes attended the Baltimore School for the Arts prior to his acceptance to the School of American Ballet, where he received the Rudolf Nureyev & the Estelle Dennis scholarships. Additionally, Mr. Barnes studied at the Kirov Ballet Academy, Chautauqua Institute, Pacific Northwest Ballet and the American Ballet Theatre. Beginning as an apprentice and corps de ballet member of the New York City Ballet, Mr. Barnes also danced with the Suzanne Farrell Ballet, and worked with the Dance Theatre of Harlem.

Q&A with Jodie Gates, the new artistic director of Cincinnati Ballet.

Will you make immediate changes?

No, I’m sticking to my three-year plan, which is to spend the first year observing and listening. I’m already finding ways that we can bridge the gaps, through community engagement, with the curriculum in the academy and by building repertory for the company. I will be teaching company class weekly. I will be in the studio rehearsing with the dancers. For me, it’s to get to know the artists in the room and relay my vision and my hope to be a good coach and mentor for them.

Daniel Ulbricht's Stars of American Ballet celebrate a decade of performing in Santa Fe.

The troupe travels to cities that rarely host ballet performances, offering principals and soloists from major American companies, including the New York City Ballet and the American Ballet Theatre. The dancers perform during their time off.