This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, July 27

dirac

Q&A with Ballet Mississippi's artistic director David Keary on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

What would you say the main effects of Covid have been on Ballet Mississippi?

When you disrupt children’s lives and their schedules and their way of working, they’re very resilient but it wasn’t until January of this year that I was able to get some of my younger kid groups back together and start training them again. We had gaping holes all the way through. The disruption is hard on the children, but I think we are okay now because they had a very successful spring. A lot of them came to the workshops this summer. I have a lot of dancers off at other summer programs. I’ve got a dancer in Cincinnati Ballet right now and they have pulled out the red carpet of scholarships for her on the professional training track program, and I’m encouraging her to do it because she’s phenomenally gifted.

Davit Karapetyan is appointed the new director of the School of Philadelphia Ballet.

Karapetyan, 41, who was a principal dancer with San Francisco Ballet for more than a decade, was most recently co-director the Pennsylvania Ballet Academy in Camp Hill, Cumberland County, with his wife, Vanessa Zahorian, also a former principal dancer with San Francisco Ballet.