This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Segerstrom Dance Series 2022-23

Segerstrom Center for the Arts has announced their Dance Series for 2022-23. No separate ballet series that I can find. The days when we could see the Bolshoi or Mariinsky in this theater are long gone. 

462d9cc3-b2b3-dbd9-8e67-6607bfcc0826.jpg
bab5a7a6-1bda-2abd-119e-a9e2dbe3a7af.jpg

Our 2022/23 Dance Series has officially arrived with 9 extraordinary dance companies showcasing the best the world has to offer!

This incredibly diverse season includes classical ballet, flamenco, tap, modern dance and more. Additionally, the Center is hosting the U.S. Premiere of ABT’s Like Water for Chocolate from choreographer Christopher Wheeldon!

With so many astounding shows to enjoy, we’re also giving you the freedom and flexibility to Choreograph Your Own Series. Save 25% when you select 4-5 shows, and if you purchase 6 or more, save 35%! Customize and create your dream season today.

bc056135-f177-6dd3-a9a8-88926c11b09d.jpg
MOMIX: 
VIVA MOMIX
Sept 17, 2022
Known internationally for presenting works of astounding inventiveness and physical beauty, MOMIX is a company of unbelievable dancer-illusionists.
cdaf9ca3-f3b5-8671-6b7a-d291c08861fa.jpg
Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan: 
13 Tongues
October 26, 2022
Cloud Gate combines martial arts, Qi Gong, modern dance, and classical ballet with astonishing ensemble dancing that hypnotized audiences when Cloud Gate made their Center debut in 2018.
385f09fe-0eab-fbf0-345a-0afc2dc2f46e.jpg
BODYTRAFFIC
November 3, 2022
BODYTRAFFIC’s stunning performers, technical mastery, and commitment to the most challenging repertoire make this group a world-renowned contemporary dance company.
48ac89bd-13e7-8245-4cb8-7e91f6c528a0.jpg
Farruquito
November 9, 2022
The New York Times called Farruquito “The greatest flamenco dancer of this century” and he’s bringing prodigious artistry and profound poetry to our audiences through dance.
03d0ba84-4958-3c40-0a85-31bd22e83b65.jpg
American Ballet Theatre
The Nutcracker
December 9–18, 2022
SoCal’s favorite holiday tradition returns with American Ballet Theatre’s critically acclaimed production of The Nutcracker.
155f3def-545f-b568-cf22-ce3aeae50c56.jpg
American Ballet Theatre
Like Water for Chocolate
March 29–April 2, 2023
This ballet’s U.S. premiere by the brilliant choreographer Christopher Wheeldon brings the famous novel by Laura Esquivel to mouth-watering life.
41cc9e75-1de0-61e2-a150-55b433e7f544.jpg
Dorrance Dance
SOUNDspace
April 8, 2023
This award-winning tap dance company explores the thrill, brilliance, and beauty of tap dancing through movement and music.
38be60bf-74a4-8e18-d7a0-0c9ad007d7ab.jpg
L.A. Dance Project
Romeo & Juliet Suite
May 12–14, 2023
For their stunning Segerstrom Center debut, Benjamin Millepied and the L.A. Dance Project offer a contemporary vision of Prokofiev’s masterpiece Romeo & Juliet.
79fc916b-914e-720f-10ba-818a932c6162.jpg
Alonzo King LINES Ballet
LINES 40th
May 27, 2023
Stunning dancers, impeccable technique and powerfully visual works are what make Alonzo King LINES Ballet a must-see performance experience!
dbc8cee3-0fb5-6bcf-d8b8-d7c549e0e430.jpg
Ballet BC
June 3, 2023
Their bold, distinctive style and collaborative approach have made the internationally acclaimed contemporary ballet company a hotbed for the creation and performance of new works.

The Bolshoi last visited Los Angeles 10 years ago, at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, as part of a North American tour. I imagine the pandemic has made the planning of any large tours difficult, and as much as I'd love to see the Royal Ballet cross the Atlantic, the cost of jet fuel makes that unlikely. Under the circumstances, it's not unreasonable to focus on West Coast companies. But if it's full-lengths that are lacking, and American productions won't do, perhaps the Segerstrom Center should consider importing the National Ballet of Japan. Yui Yonezawa is a wonderful ballerina, who deserves to be seen widely.

I think some of the problem in programming is that the larger companies are programmed three to five years out. At the reception for Pacific Northwest Ballet two weeks ago at the Music Center, Peter Boal said that he had received a call about a year ago asking about PNB's availability when another company had cancelled.  At an online reception for the 2022  season at the Music Center, it came up that the Joffrey Ballet was booked at least three years in advance. When Aurelie Dupont's resignation from the Paris Opera Ballet was announced, I read an interview with her where she stated that the next five seasons were programmed (though I suspect much of this programming is for new productions). I also suspect that L.A.'s having the superb  Hamburg Ballet this past season was something planned  several years ago, because it involved L.A. Opera. The Los Angeles Music Center will not announce its program for next season until this  fall.  

Having said all this, we know that ABT has a relationship with Segerstom due in no small part to the Gillespie Ballet Academy (or whatever the exact name is), so it's a no-brainer that O.C. gets ABT for Nutcracker and another engagement involving some type of premiere that seems to occur in March (since this arrangement, L.A. has not seen ABT).   Though we would not expect the Bolshoi or Maryinsky any time soon, we hopefully will get, in a year or two,  another major ballet company in O.C. again. 

I am not complaining about seeing Wheeldon's Like Water for Chocolate danced by ABT in March, as it's a terrific ballet that the Royal Ballet dancers obviously relished performing, and it the type of ballet that will be loved by Los Angeles audiences.  I created my own subscription for the O.C. series and am looking forward to seeing smaller companies, especially Alonzo King's company again.  And, of course, there is the brilliant San Francisco Ballet, which is always worth a weekend trip. 

And I thought that the Kennedy Center's 22/23 Ballet-Dance season was skimpy. At least the Kenn Cen has three true classical offerings: ABT, NYCB and Kansas City's Nutcracker. The Monte Carlo, China and Scottish companies are bringing modern pieces. All three are holdovers from previous seasons that were cancelled due to COVID. We did not renew our family's subscription but will try to get single-performance tickets for the two NYCB triple bill programs...as we're not big Romeo & Juliet fans (the only ABT offering). We almost always pass on Nutcracker. So two performances of NYCB -- and all-Balanchine and a modern mix -- is it for us next season + a couple of Washington Ballet shows.

Very slim pickings for pure-classical-ballet lovers in Wash, DC, in 2022/23! We feel your pain, Segerstrom/OC area fans.

Thanks for posting this info.  The thing that caught my attention immediately was the appearance of flamenco dancer Farruquito.  I've seen him three times in the past and I immediately started to look for any potential appearances in my area.  I have not found any information on a visit to New York or New Jersey, unfortunately.

17 hours ago, Josette said:

I think some of the problem in programming is that the larger companies are programmed three to five years out.

Yes, I think this is why it may take several years for international touring to return to some sort of normal rhythm. And hopefully by then the international shipping situation will normalize as well. In November a performance by Amran Khan in Chicago had to be canceled because the set didn't cross the Atlantic in time. Or shipping may become even less reliable and this will have to be factored into touring plans. (All blue cycs all the time.)

Possibly, the landscape may have changed permanently. In my childhood and youth, the Met was filled with touring ballet companies in the summer--from Britain and Denmark, France and Germany, Canada and Australia--and it was wonderful. Sadly, economic pressures put an end to this, and since they're unlikely to become cheaper, international tours may become even rarer going forward.

9 hours ago, abatt said:

Thanks for posting this info.  The thing that caught my attention immediately was the appearance of flamenco dancer Farruquito.  I've seen him three times in the past and I immediately started to look for any potential appearances in my area.  I have not found any information on a visit to New York or New Jersey, unfortunately.

Abatt, you are recommending Farruquito?  

20 minutes ago, Josette said:

Abatt, you are recommending Farruquito?  

Yes, he is one of the greatest flamenco dancers of his generation.  You can find many reviews of his performances online.  I first saw him in 2003 or 2004 in New York and thought he was incredible.  Age has diminished his abilities  to an extent.  I think I last saw him in 2019.  If you enjoy flamenco, I would say he is worth seeing.