This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2022 season

A release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE ANNOUNCES 2022 FALL SEASON AT THE DAVID H. KOCH THEATER,
OCTOBER 20–30, 2022

WORLD PREMIERE OF CHRISTOPHER RUDD’S LIFTED AND FIVE PERFORMANCES OF ALEXEI RATMANSKY’S WHIPPED CREAM TO HIGHLIGHT THE SEASON

BOX OFFICE TO OPEN TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6

NEW YORK, NY (July 18, 2022) – Programming for American Ballet Theatre’s 2022 Fall season, October 20–30 at the David H. Koch Theater, was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. The season will be highlighted by the World Premiere of Christopher Rudd’s new work Lifted, as well as five performances of ABT Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky’s full-length ballet Whipped Cream. Repertory works by Ratmansky, Frederick Ashton, Jiří Kylián, and Jessica Lang will round out the season, which marks McKenzie’s final NY season as Artistic Director.

Principal Dancers for the 2022 Fall season include Joo Won Ahn, Aran Bell, Isabella Boylston, Skylar Brandt, Daniel Camargo, Herman Cornejo, Thomas Forster, Catherine Hurlin, Gillian Murphy, Calvin Royal III, Hee Seo, Christine Shevchenko, Cory Stearns, Devon Teuscher, Cassandra Trenary, James Whiteside, and Roman Zhurbin.

Fall Gala and World Premiere

The Fall Gala will take place on Thursday evening, October 27 at 6:30 P.M. at the Koch Theater. The evening’s performance will feature the World Premiere of Christopher Rudd’s Lifted and the return of Jiří Kylián’s Sinfonietta. The 2022 Fall Gala will honor ABT Trustee Patricia R. Morton with The Melville Straus Leadership Achievement Award.

Receiving three performances through Saturday, October 29, the World Premiere work by Christopher Rudd aims to highlight, amplify, and celebrate Black creative voices. Lifted will be set to music by Kennedy Center Composer-in-Residence Carlos Simon, with Roderick Cox making his debut as Guest Conductor with ABT. The work will feature costumes by New York- based creative director and fashion designer Carly Cushnie, sets by Carlos Soto, lighting by Alan Edwards, and dramaturgy by Phaedra Scott. Sarah Lozoff will serve as Intimacy Director. Lifted is Rudd’s second work for ABT.

“I am honored to be returning to ABT to create Lifted, which fulfills a long-held vision and ambition to bring together an all-Black cast and creative team to celebrate Black excellence within America’s National Ballet Company®,” states Rudd. “I am thrilled to again have the opportunity to collaborate with ABT’s exceptional artists and to create ballet that is socially and culturally relevant and reflects the communities in which we live.”

Whipped Cream

American Ballet Theatre’s 2022 Fall season will open on Thursday, October 20 with the full- length ballet Whipped Cream. Choreographed by ABT Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky, the ballet features scenery and costumes by artist Mark Ryden and lighting by Brad Fields. Whipped Cream, with a libretto and score by Richard Strauss, is based on the two-act ballet originally created as Schlagobers, which premiered at the Vienna State Opera in 1924. Ratmansky’s production received its World Premiere by ABT on March 15, 2017 at Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, California danced by Daniil Simkin (The Boy), Stella Abrera (Princess Tea Flower), David Hallberg (Prince Coffee), and Sarah Lane (Princess Praline). Whipped Cream will be given five performances through Sunday, October 23.

Repertoire Honoring Kevin McKenzie

The season will also highlight works that honor Kevin McKenzie’s career with ABT by showcasing ballets with special significance to him as both an artist and as Artistic Director. Returning for the first time since 2015, Jiří Kylián’s Sinfonietta will be given three performances through Saturday, October 29. Set to music by Leoš Janáček, Sinfonietta features scenery and costumes by Walter Nobbe and lighting by Kees Tjebbes. The ballet was given its World Premiere in Charleston, South Carolina by the Nederlands Dans Theater on June 9, 1978 and received its ABT Company Premiere at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. on January 25, 1991. Sinfonietta will be staged for ABT by Roslyn Anderson

and Glenn Edgerton.

Frederick Ashton’s The Dream will be given its first of three performances during ABT’s 2022 Fall season on Wednesday evening, October 26. Staged for ABT by Susan Jones, The Dream is set to music by Felix Mendelssohn and features sets and costumes by David Walker and lighting by John B. Read. The Dream received its World Premiere by The Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London on April 2, 1964, danced by Antoinette Sibley as Titania, Anthony Dowell as Oberon, Keith Martin as Puck, and Alexander Grant as Bottom. The Dream was given its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York on May 24, 2002, danced by Alessandra Ferri as Titania, Ethan Stiefel as Oberon, and Herman Cornejo as Puck. ABT last performed The Dream in 2014.

Alexei Ratmansky’s The Seasons returns for three performances beginning Wednesday, October 26. Set to a score of the same name by Alexander Glazunov, the ballet features costumes by Robert Perdziola and lighting by Mark Stanley. The Seasons, created to commemorate Ratmansky’s 10th anniversary as ABT Artist in Residence, received its World Premiere on May 20, 2019 at the Metropolitan Opera House.

A work for seven dancers, Children’s Songs Dance by Jessica Lang will be given two performances during the Fall season. Set to selections from Children’s Songs by the late American jazz composer Chick Corea, the ballet was created on ABT Studio Company in January 2020 during a residency at The Pocantico Center in Tarrytown, New York. The work was first seen on screen as part of ABT Studio Company Spring Festival, a program of filmed performances that aired online in June 2021. The ballet is scheduled to receive its ABT Company Premiere on August 9, 2022 as part of Lincoln Center’s BAAND Together Dance Festival. This production of Children’s Songs Dance for the 2022 Fall season will feature new costumes by Jillian Lewis and lighting by Nicole Pearce.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2022 Fall season, starting at $30, are available beginning Tuesday, September 6 at 10:00 A.M. in person at the Koch Theater box office, by phone by calling 212-496-0600, and online. During the 2022 Fall season, ABT will offer audience members the opportunity to exchange their tickets or receive refunds free of charge up until Noon on the day of performance. Based on CDC and New York State guidelines at the time of performance, entry requirements for both adults and children may include valid proof of vaccination with a CDC approved COVID vaccine, mask usage, and more.

ABOUT AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

American Ballet Theatre is one of the greatest dance companies in the world. Revered as a national treasure since its founding season in 1940, its mission is to create, present, preserve, and extend the great repertoire of classical dancing for the widest possible audience. Headquartered in New York City, ABT is the only cultural institution of its size and stature to extensively tour, enchanting audiences for eight decades in 50 U.S. states, 45 countries, and over 480 cities worldwide. ABT’s repertoire includes full-length classics from the nineteenth century, the finest works from the early twentieth century, and acclaimed contemporary masterpieces. In 2006, by an act of Congress, ABT was designated America's National Ballet Company®.

Leadership support for Whipped Cream and The Seasons, part of The Ratmansky Project, has been generously provided by Avery and Andrew F. Barth, the Blavatnik Family Foundation, Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton E. James, the Lloyd E. Rigler – Lawrence E. Deutsch Foundation, The Ted and Mary Jo Shen Charitable Gift Fund, and through an endowed gift from the Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

This production of The Dream is generously supported through an endowed gift from Anka Palitz, in memory of Clarence J. Palitz, Jr.

Children’s Songs Dance was commissioned by ABT Studio Company with leadership support from The Rockefeller Brothers Fund. It was created in a residency at The Pocantico Center in Tarrytown, NY.

Commissions and presentations of new works by women choreographers are supported by the ABT Women’s Movement. Champion support for the ABT Women’s Movement is provided by Jenna Segal. Additional leadership support is provided by the Virginia B. Toulmin Foundation.

ABT’s Choreographic Innovation and Inspiration and Inclusion programs are generously supported by the Blavatnik Family Foundation. Additional major support is provided by Mark Casey and Carrie Gaiser Casey, the Ford Foundation, The Ted and Mary Jo Shen Charitable Gift Fund and through an endowed gift from the Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

Special thanks to Denise Littlefield Sobel for her leadership gifts to: ABT’s Media Fund, advancing the Company’s digital endeavors; and ABT RISE, fueling the Company’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.

American Airlines is a proud sponsor of American Ballet Theatre.
LG Electronics is the Global Electronics Partner of American Ballet Theatre. Bank of America is the Lead Corporate Partner of ABT Studio Company.

ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of The Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

Misty isn't listed for the fall season, Kevin's final hurrah.

Very happy about the Dream, Sinfonietta and The Seasons. 

Not so excited about Whiped Cream, but I might go once.

Since McKenzie brought Twyla in for many collaborations during his tenure, I'm a bit surprised that they are not doing any Twyla ballets in the fall.

Edited by abatt

Wow, I’m thrilled with The Dream - Cornejo and Klein as Puck please. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen Sinfonietta. Surprised about Whipped Cream - will all of that scenery and the parade of characters fit in this smaller theater? Another great opp to showcase Klein as the boy.

I am excited about The Dream! I missed the last time ABT performed it, but loved seeing The Royal Ballet perform it at the Koch in 2015. While Whipped Cream isn't my favorite, I would be happy to see it again as it is visually pleasing, although I wish I could see Simkin and Hallberg in it again. I had hoped to see more T&V, but this programming looks pretty good to me.

43 minutes ago, miliosr said:

Nothing by Antony Tudor . . . 

True...but who needs a Tudor when one can be LIFTED! 😇 And I wouldn't be surprised if Misty makes a cameo appearance in Lifted - at least at the Gala premiere -  given that it promises to be an all-Black production...even a conductor of color! 

I'm thrilled about most everything else - especially the two Ratmansky works, Seasons and Whipped Cream. Misseldine, Hurlin and Park for Princess Praline! Klein and Maloney reprising The Boy...and maybe Elwince Magtibang debut?!

The Dream! Sinfonietta! Have I died and gone to Heaven? 

I'll be parked at Lincoln Center for most of the Fall Koch season.

Also, I'm happy to see Lang's Children's Songs Dances again - this time live, as it was premiered during the June 2021 digital program...AND featured SunMi Park and six other then-Studio Co dancers...as I just mentioned a few hours ago in the ABT Promotions thread. Well, golly golly. That and Whipped Cream for our pralines. [Magnolia Bakery better repeat those pink cupcakes...and we better see that big ol'  Whipped Cream float chugging down Columbus Avenue once again!]

1 hour ago, Roberta said:

True...but who needs a Tudor when one can be LIFTED! 😇 And I wouldn't be surprised if Misty makes a cameo appearance in Lifted - at least at the Gala premiere -  given that it promises to be an all-Black production...even a conductor of color! 

I was a little surprised by that line in the press release.  Go ahead and pick all black dancers if that's what the choreographer wants.  But what happens if there is an injury or illness and the only available company dancer is Caucasian.  Is the production cancelled?  Even Ailey, which is predominantly a company of black performers, doesn't exclude white or Asian people from dancing in signature ballets about the black experience, like Revelations.  It just seems like the press release could have been worded in a more diplomatic way.

Edited by abatt
51 minutes ago, abatt said:

I was a little surprised by that line in the press release.  Go ahead and pick all black dancers if that's what the choreographer wants.  But what happens if there is an injury or illness and the only available company dancer is Caucasian.  Is the production cancelled?  Even Ailey, which is predominantly a company of black performers, doesn't exclude white or Asian people from dancing in signature ballets about the black experience, like Revelations.  It just seems like the press release could have been worded in a more diplomatic way.

Good point, abatt...and will Asians be excluded too? Non-Black Latinos/LatinX allowed?

AND - drumroll! - LIFTED will employ an "intimacy coach" too. Ooooo!!!! Another Woke-Box checked. 😜

I'm grateful for all of the rest so I'll stop my silly comments about Wokesters with that. 

Edited by Roberta
clarity

Would be interesting to go back through the archives and count the number of all-white casts and creative teams that have performed/created productions at ABT, even if the season announcement or program didn't explicitly state that it was an all-white affair. 

33 minutes ago, Wonders said:

Would be interesting to go back through the archives and count the number of all-white casts and creative teams that have performed/created productions at ABT, even if the season announcement or program didn't explicitly state that it was an all-white affair. 

Precisely. 

If it's a ballet about the Black experience, or in any way related to it (as this ballet seams to be), I feel it can be powerful and important to have an all-Black creative team and cast, if the creators so wish. In ballet and opera, for centuries, White people have been telling the stories of Black people and at times, unfortunately, impersonating them onstage. I'm glad the creator of this new work at ABT was given the agency to pick out the creative team and cast he wanted. Could this work be put on without a Black conductor? I'm sure it could be. But for this particular work, I can only imagine that having a Black conductor will influence the creative process in many ways that I can't begin to imagine as someone who isn't Black. 

I think it can be helpful to think of a work like this as not being exclusionary, but as creating space for voices that have been seldom heard at ABT. And that space is a scant three performances. 

The next Black choreographer to be engaged by ABT may not at all be interested in assembling an all-Black cast and creative team. But I think it's commendable that ABT is supporting Rudd's artistic vision. 

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

This is what an intimacy consultant does: 

https://national.ballet.ca/Ballet-News-Plus/Archive/Intimacy-Consultant

Most dancers don't have formal acting training and may never have learned the tricks for separating themselves psychologically from their characters when what is depicted on stage gets rough or very exposed.

Great link, thanks for sharing.

This is clearly very important work and it is really a shame for some to be dismissing it as mere "wokeness."

How about reframing that, and instead thinking of it as employers providing consideration and necessary emotional support for their employees who are being asked, as a condition of their job, to engage with at times very emotionally difficult material.

Excluding Copeland, looking over the ABT roster there are only maybe 6 black dancers in the company. So either 1) Rudd will have a very small cast, 2) he will bring in guest artists from other companies, or 3) all of the featured roles will go to black dancers but others will fill corps roles? And of course there's the possibility of injuries requiring substitutions. I will likely skip this program (not a huge fan of social messaging at the ballet) but I hope it turns out to be a success for all involved. 

2 hours ago, abatt said:

It just seems like the press release could have been worded in a more diplomatic way.

It's an all-Black cast/creative team and that's just what it is. What is undiplomatic about "all-Black?" What should they have said instead?

12 hours ago, Roberta said:

Good point, abatt...and will Asians be excluded too? Non-Black Latinos/LatinX allowed?

Would anyone have batted an eye or accused ABT of being "woke" if it was an all-female cast and creative team? Or do we only have issues with certain groups of minorities presenting ideas like this?