This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake ABT 2022

Per the ABT website, Ahn replaces Stearns in Swan Lake. 

Added  - So now we wait to find out who will replace Stearns in R&J with Hee Seo.  My guess is Camargo.  If that turns out to be the case I might buy a ticket. 

Edited by abatt

Yikes. And, not surprisingly that means Ahn has been replaced as Purple von Rothbart, by Sebastian and Curley.

It's not looking good that Stearns will be able to dance this season. Are they giving Ahn a crash course in Romeo so he can cover that too? They have no other choice really.

I think they will just use one of the other Romeo's to fill in for Stearns.  The likely candidates are Camargo and Royal. Each has only one Romeo assignment right now.  However, since Camargo is a more experienced dancer, I'm guessing Camargo will get the assignment.

As for Curley as Rothbart, based on his excellent performance in Love and Rage, I think he has the potential to be a fine Rothbart.

I agree about having Patrick Frenette and Jonathan Klein being ready to perform Romeo just in case. Both are scheduled for R and J already. Patrick as Benvolio and Jonathan as Mercutio. It would give the Company more depth. 

Unfortunately I don't think that's how ABT tends to do things, at least under McKenzie. (Maybe next year?) I remember too many Met seasons in which certain dancers have been worn ragged filling in for sick or injured colleagues.

I'd love to see Frenette, Klein and others given more opportunities to step into lead roles.

Edited by nanushka

Really, there are a lot of new guys who are on the cusp. When I saw him in Giselle last fall, Andrei Ishchuk looked like he'd been doing Hilarion for years:  I hope he's in the mix for a Siegfried backup. Frenette had less firepower and projection, but was really dramatically engaged:  I'd totally be curious to see what he could do with Romeo. And I've heard such good reports on Klein and Camargo that I'm curious to see them in anything.  (I'd also be game for Gorak:  he's solid when he has an experienced partner.)

43 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Interesting casting update on the Met Opera's site: it says that Jose Sebastian is doing Siegfried June 27 and July 1 (ABT's site says that is Ahn). 

I think the Met Opera just mixed the two up, but their casting sheet is usually the one that's correct, not ABT's.

https://www.metopera.org/season/2022-abt/swan-lake/

It's obviously an error.   Once in a while ABT or the MET transposes the roles on the casting sheets. 

9 hours ago, Buddy said:

Devon Teuscher's White Swan Duet tonight (with Joo Won Ahn) was one of the most beautiful and possibly The Most Heartfeltly Committed that I've ever seen !

Absolutely Wonderful !

How was Ahn? I have a ticket to see him and Cate Hurlin next week. 

1 hour ago, DPell said:

How was Ahn? I have a ticket to see him and Cate Hurlin next week. 

To be honest, DPell, my eyes were glued to Devon Teuscher during all their time together and....and way, way beyond !  I tried to keep her Remarkable Odette Duet(!) alive in my mind as much as possible for the entire evening and forever  if possible. 

Joo Won Ahn seemed just fine, DPell. From what I can recall he was a very good partner and did some more fine work on his own, including gracefully impressive, airy jumps.

Overall, I thought it was a very fine evening, especially considering that this was the first night performance and that this work, or much else!, probably hasn't been performed for about three years.

The ABT Corps de Ballet of White Swans and its choreography are always a treat for me.

I won't get into names right now because I've got a lot to do, but Rothbart the handsome, Act II Great Hall scene,  Jose Sebastian, was very charismatic and exciting, recalling the heydays of Marcelo Gomes. 

There were many, very good performances with bits of of luminosity and personality everywhere. It's personality, infectious energy and impressive talent that make this production and much more that ABT does greatly pleasing to me and on the highest world class level.

The Kevin McKenzie "Swan Lake" is A Keeper(!) as far as I'm concerned. It should remain a tribute to him and all that he and the company have accomplished in their thirty years together.

Edited by Buddy

I have always liked Devon in SL.  She keeps getting better in the role.  Her long limbs are put to full use here in creating a gorgeous Odette, fully stretched lines and beautiful use of her arms, neck and back.   She handled the ballroom scene allegro work with attack, knocking out multiple doubles in the fouette portion with very little traveling.  Ahn's work was  respectable, but never electrifying.  He had no trouble with the partnering.  His big solo in Act I was beautifully done.  He has gorgeous lines and his legs are extremely long.  However, his work in the ballroom scene tended to be a bit conservative. Hopefully he will gain confidence as the run continues.  As might be anticipated, I felt there was no chemistry between the lead couple.

I thought J. Sebastian did a great job as Purple Rothbart.  He had a commanding presence, and he executed the choreography without difficulty.  

Benno was Hoven, who danced with Hurlin and Williams.

Edited by abatt
30 minutes ago, abatt said:

I have always liked Devon in SL.  She keeps getting better in the role.  Her long limbs are put to full use here in creating a gorgeous Odette, fully stretched lines and beautiful use of her arms, neck and back.  

Yes, absolutely, Abatt, and so much more !

21 minutes ago, abatt said:

I guess the best word I can use to describe Devon in this is grandeur.   She brings majesty to Odette. 

"Grandeur," "majesty," poetry, heart-and-soul emotion, love, magnificent imagery, remarkable sculpture and coordination of her limbs and entire body....All Embracing.   

Edited by Buddy
50 minutes ago, Buddy said:

The Kevin McKenzie "Swan Lake" is A Keeper(!) as far as I'm concerned.

I share your sentiment — I know the McKenzie Swan Lake is not everyone’s favorite, but I just adore it, swamp Rothbart and all. 

The McKenzie version would be better if they restored Act IV.  Right now it's mostly an opportunity to change the scenery while a few swans run around aimlessly in front of the curtain while the scenery is being changed. 

By the way, the stage hands need to be told to be quiet while they are doing the set change between Act III and Act IV.  Last night, event though I was up in the balcony, I could hear them talking while they changed the scenery at this juncture.

Edited by abatt