This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jean-Louis Trintignant has died at age 91.

Jean-Louis Trintignant, a leading French actor of subtle power who appeared in some of the most celebrated European films of the last 50 years, among them Bernardo Bertolucci’s “The Conformist,” Eric Rohmer’s “My Night at Maud’s” and Claude Lelouch’s “A Man and a Woman,” died on Friday at his home in southern France. He was 91.

Photo gallery

Memorable performance list

The Conformist is perhaps director Bernardo Bertolucci's best film, having stunning visuals and a great central Jean-Louis Trintignant performance. It tells a challenging story about a man ordered by the fascist government of Italy in the late 1930s to assassinate an outspoken anti-fascist professor in Paris.

There was also "The Easy Life," in which the quiet character of Jean-Louis Trintignant was played against the brash Vittorio Gassman. It had a good run here in the United States. "My Night at Maud's," one of a set of early Eric Rohmer films, was very much watched and discussed here in the days in which films were taken so seriously. Trintignant was a unique presence on film, very detailed and natural, no equivalent really among American film actors – more like the choice a stage writer / director would have for rounding out her or his cast. You might say Chekhovian but unique to the directness and flatness of film medium in the 60s.

Edited by Quiggin

Trintignant was a unique presence on film, very detailed and natural, no equivalent really among American film actors – more like the choice a stage writer / director would have for rounding out her or his cast. You might say Chekhovian but unique to the directness and flatness of film medium in the 60s

Qualities very much in evidence in "Happy End," the most recent movie I saw him in, not sure if it was his last.

One of the last of a true Greatest Generation in the movies. Godard is still here, he's about Trintignant's age. Delon, too, although I think he's a few years younger.