This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Don Quixote ABT 2022

8 hours ago, abatt said:

CASTING ALERT

I was just browsing the ABT online calendar and it lists Bell  as tonight's Basilio with Shevchenko.  Wasn't that supposed to be Stearns' slot?  Please report if you are attending

I wasn't planning to go to this performance (I couldn't stomach Stearns after his hugely disappointing KenCen performance a couple of months ago). I decided to go when Bell was announced and I'm glad I did. Thanks for the heads-up, everybody.

I'm a huge Aran Bell fan and he didn't disappoint. He's only 23 and already has so much to offer -- technique, charm, presence, acting, the real deal. I did sense that he held off from super-pyrotechnics tonight (no revoltade 540s, e.g.) -- perhaps just being safe because of the big premiere Monday in Ratmansky's Of Love and Rage.  I don't think these two have performed this ballet together, so the partnering must have been a special challenge. The one-armed lifts in Act I were brief and seemed strangely crooked to me - she was more at an angle than overhead -  but they did two more in Act III which were a little better. Still, overall the partnering seemed solid and attentive. Shevchenko was excellent. Solid fouettes, turns, hops. No complaints.

Edited by California

I think he used two arms in Act I and it didn't seem very steady. Act III lifts were much more solid.

His being pulled in to perform yesterday has me all the more curious about him not performing on Wednesday as originally scheduled.

I agree that he seemed to be holding back and also assumed it was about staying well for Monday. Even so, it was a great night.

I don’t think Bell and Shevchenko have danced together before and they probably had little rehearsal time. So a little unsteadiness or apprehension seems expected under the circumstances. Wish I had seen it as it sounds like it was a great show regardless.

1 hour ago, FayBallet said:

His being pulled in to perform yesterday has me all the more curious about him not performing on Wednesday as originally scheduled.

They don't have a lot of options for Basilio this season, with both Whitehead and Stearns out. Ahn was scheduled for Friday and putting him on as a sub Thursday would be too much for anybody. As a Wednesday sub, he has a little time to rest/recuperate. Cornejo is pushing the envelope already with two performances at his age, and Simkin is a guest. So moving Ahn to Wednesday and Bell to Thursday makes sense. If Stearn was able to return for Thursday, Bell would have a little more rest time for Monday. At least, that's how it appears to this outsider!

Let me add: I guess it couldn't be avoided, but it's too bad Bell couldn't do Wednesday, for Hurlin's NYC debut. They did this at KenCen and his partnership would have really pushed her performance to even greater heights. Too bad!

Edited by California

I'm guessing that this weekend might be the last time we see Simkin at ABT, since he is no longer a company member and only acquired these guest appearances because Whiteside was injured.  Simkin was a wonderful addition to the company. I hope he and Susan Jaffe can come to an agreement where he continues to appear with ABT.

I also wonder whether this will be the last run of Don Q for Cornejo, who is now 40 or 41.

5 minutes ago, abatt said:

I'm guessing that this weekend might be the last time we see Simkin at ABT, since he is no longer a company member and only acquired these guest appearances because Whiteside was injured.  Simkin was a wonderful addition to the company. I hope he and Susan Jaffe can come to an agreement where he continues to appear with ABT.

I also wonder whether this will be the last run of Don Q for Cornejo, who is now 40 or 41.

I think you’re probably right. I also hope that Jaffe brings him back as a guest (I also hope she trims the roster a bit). Cornejo is 41; I’m shocked he’s even doing T&V especially since he didn’t do it at their last Fall run in 2019.

Cornejo might have been contemplated for T&V as partner for Lane during that last run, but that was the time period when Cornejo and Lane never danced together anymore.  Gorak got the role in T&V instead.  Gorak did poorly in the role.

Cornejo would have been an obvious choice for T&V; Gorak not at all an obvious choice for that killer role.

Oh yeah, how could I forget about Gorak. Speaking of, he’s not cast in anything. Assuming he’ll do peasant pas de trois in SL like usual, but for a soloist it’s sad that that’s the best he can do. I’m wondering if he’ll leave soon.

I was surprised to read that Cornejo would even be doing  DQ  at age 41.  I'm shocked  he'll be dancing T&V.   It's not only a leg killing role, but as someone said there's no "character" to lean on.  I'm having second thoughts about buying tickets for that perf.  I would though really like to see Brandt, whom I've never seen in a principal role.

There have been a couple of recent comments about the stalled career of Joseph Gorak. I don’t attend ABT nearly as much as I did, say, 5-10 years ago, so I haven’t followed his career closely. For those of you who attend ABT all the time, any thoughts about his failure to live up to his early promise? Was it injury, lack of opportunity, lack of suitable partners, or other (official news only of course!)?

14 minutes ago, cobweb said:

There have been a couple of recent comments about the stalled career of Joseph Gorak. I don’t attend ABT nearly as much as I did, say, 5-10 years ago, so I haven’t followed his career closely. For those of you who attend ABT all the time, any thoughts about his failure to live up to his early promise? Was it injury, lack of opportunity, lack of suitable partners, or other (official news only of course!)?

Positively not lack of opportunity nor partners. He was given Romeo, Nutcracker Prince, Prince Desire, the poet in Les Sylphides, T&V, and other high profile solo roles. He danced with Boylston, Copeland, Lane, others. His partnering never improved, in fact it was scary at times or just plain weak. Dramatic and technical abilities never developed beyond peasant pas or the Bronze Idol, his two most frequent roles. For whatever reason he just didn’t progress in ability. As far as I know and remember, he was never injured, at least nothing long term or serious. He was an absolute favorite of mine for years, in basic soloist roles. I will say that his Bronze Idol is one of the best I’ve seen.

Edited by ABT Fan
34 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

He was an absolute favorite of mine for years, in basic soloist roles. I will say that his Bronze Idol is one of the best I’ve seen.

I was just writing the exact same thing! His Bronze Idol, an incredibly difficult solo, was always a highlight. Second only to Corella (if I'm narrowing it down to my own ABT viewings). Gorgeous feet, control, and technique. It just never translated to leading or emotive roles, which happens to many long-time soloists. His partnering could feel unsafe at times, even while rotating his partner in basic turns. 

We'll probably see him as Benvolio and in SL Peasant Pas. I imagine his technique is still good, which can make the leap to retirement a difficult one. Like Paris and Fang, he seems to have a selection of soloist roles he rotates (although Fang and Paris have several roles listed this year). 

Edited by Papagena
4 hours ago, Marta said:

I was surprised to read that Cornejo would even be doing  DQ  at age 41.  I'm shocked  he'll be dancing T&V.   It's not only a leg killing role, but as someone said there's no "character" to lean on.  I'm having second thoughts about buying tickets for that perf.  I would though really like to see Brandt, whom I've never seen in a principal role.

curious to see how T&V for him goes. Rehearsal footage looks SOLID (based on what has been shared on social media -- which I recognize is carefully chosen to be shared. But I have always been a firm believer that you need to be doing it better in practice than you hope to perform in order to bring quality performance to the stage). He is currently the healthiest he has been from an injury perspective in a long time, and the way he is currently dancing Don Q at his age (after all the injuries he has had and come back from), I still think having the opportunity to catch Brandt/Cornejo in this classic should be a treat. (Got a chance to see this pairing when they danced in NOLA in June). With the shortened Met season, T&V won't be presented at the end of a marathon season and rather what is "early" on in the run. Hopefully what we've seen from rehearsal translates to performance. I firmly believe the only reason there would be a "let down" is if you were to compare the technical flash of the Cornejo of today to that of the standards his early career self brought to the stage (and that's really not a fair comparison as I can't think of many male dancers who could even measure up to that even at the prime/height of their careers).

Curious to hear more reports on the remaining Don Q performances this week! (Also, is anyone aware of the nature/severity of Stearns' injury?)

Just bought my ticket for the Brandt/Cornejo T&V. The ballet is a tricky beast, DuLuz pulled it off in fine fashion in his retirement show, but I've seen it defeat some younger dancers over the years, I'm not naming names. I have confidence that Cornejo can pull it off. I'm not much of a full-length, story ballet person, so I won't be seeing ABT much. I greatly appreciate everyone's reports on individual dancers! I hope, under Susan Jaffe, there will be fewer war horses and (IMO) bad productions. If so I'll attend more performances.

9 hours ago, abatt said:

According to Simkin's Instagram stories, he's headed next week to Australia for their production of Harlequinade!

His home company in Berlin might look more attractive to KenCen if the Russian companies are out for the foreseeable future due to boycotts and loss of oligarch subsidies. Berlin has T&V, a Sleeping Beauty by Marcia Haydee, Onegin, Ratmansky's reconstruction of Bayadere, plenty that would be welcome to American audiences (although Bayadere does have some controversy emerging).

15 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Positively not lack of opportunity nor partners. He was given Romeo, Nutcracker Prince, Prince Desire, the poet in Les Sylphides, T&V, and other high profile solo roles. He danced with Boylston, Copeland, Lane, others. His partnering never improved, in fact it was scary at times or just plain weak. Dramatic and technical abilities never developed beyond peasant pas or the Bronze Idol, his two most frequent roles. For whatever reason he just didn’t progress in ability. As far as I know and remember, he was never injured, at least nothing long term or serious. He was an absolute favorite of mine for years, in basic soloist roles. I will say that his Bronze Idol is one of the best I’ve seen.

I remember an incident at Nutcracker in 2015 at Segerstrom. I had never seen it in Brooklyn and went to see several casts over the first weekend, including Gorak as Nutcracker Prince. On opening day, they had a Friends dress rehearsal with printed programs listing Gorak as the Prince. During the intermission, they announced that Whitehead would be substituting for Gorak. Whitehead came out in practice clothes and people wondered if Gorak had been injured or freaked out at the complicated choreography, including that super-difficult torch lift. We were never told anything officially, but Gorak performed several other roles that weekend -- but not the Prince. That lift was a problem for most of the men, but they figured something out to get through and when I saw it again in 2021 at Segerstrom, most had mastered it.

I attended the Brandt/Cornejo DQ performance on Tuesday night.  The Times had it spot on that Skaylar Brandt has become an exceptional actress as well as having full command of her technique and great polish. I hope to see this pair in T&V; and not sure how much longer Cornejo will be dancing so if you want to see him before his great career ends, no time like the present.  

Most sincerely, I want to congratulate all the dancers of ABT who still are forced to practice in masks and who have had far less performance and practice opportunities than they probably need to be sharp.  And, most companies have had no significant revenue for a couple of years!  Then consider so many other challenges at ABT; significant injuries, covid illnesses/positive tests disrupting casts and rehearsal time, retirements and the search for a new AD.  And, some company members and staff are still greatly affected, directly or indirectly by the war in Ukraine.  In this context IT IS WONDERFUL that the season has begun well and  that the quality of ABT and, in particular, the performances of the relatively young principals, Brandt, ShevshenkoHurlin & Bell, are mostly praised on this site.