This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2022 Promotions

According to the WB's Facebook page, 5 dancers have been promoted from the studio company to the main company: Andrea Allmon, Rafael Bejerano, Nicholas Cowden, Audrey Malek, Rench Soriano. Since they had 31 dancers in their main company this year, 5 openings would seem to be an atypically large number unless they are expanding their roster.

TWB website now has some info on the 2022-23 season.  2022/23 Season Subscription | The Washington Ballet  Some highlights: Kennedy Center Eisenhower - all Balanchine and the Kent-Barbee Sleeping Beauty, Capital One Hall in Tysons - Aurora's Wedding and Theme and Variations.  Capital One Hall is a new theatre - tech specs Capital One Hall Technical Specifications - ArtsFairfax 

Tomorrow is the final day to renew KC subscriptions.  TWB rents so is excluded and if I'm logged in their performances never show as What's On.  The CIG's now show renters- Ailey and ABT  Calendar · Lincoln Center  

Edited by maps
2 hours ago, maps said:

TWB website now has some info on the 2022-23 season.  2022/23 Season Subscription | The Washington Ballet  Some highlights: Kennedy Center Eisenhower - all Balanchine and the Kent-Barbee Sleeping Beauty, Capital One Hall in Tysons - Aurora's Wedding and Theme and Variations.  Capital One Hall is a new theatre - tech specs Capital One Hall Technical Specifications - ArtsFairfax 

Tomorrow is the final day to renew KC subscriptions.  TWB rents so is excluded and if I'm logged in their performances never show as What's On.  The CIG's now show renters- Ailey and ABT  Calendar · Lincoln Center  

thanks! I've been checking their web site from time to time and never would have found this. Season seems very slim: NEXTSteps, Nutcracker, Balanchine, Sleeping Beauty

The Balanchine program February 22-26 is pretty impressive: Concerto Barocco, Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux, Apollo, and Theme & Variations.

1 hour ago, California said:

thanks! I've been checking their web site from time to time and never would have found this. Season seems very slim: NEXTSteps, Nutcracker, Balanchine, Sleeping Beauty

The Balanchine program February 22-26 is pretty impressive: Concerto Barocco, Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux, Apollo, and Theme & Variations.

Thanks to both of you, maps and California. Well, it's slim pickin's indeed next season. The funny thing is that the 22/23 NEXTSteps is announced for October while key details about the next edition, happening a couple of weeks from now, remain a mystery -- such as the music for each of the three pieces or the titles/working titles. For ex, do we know anything at all about the piece by Brett Ishida??? I keep checking not only TWB social media but also those of the three choreographers.

22 hours ago, Roberta said:

For ex, do we know anything at all about the piece by Brett Ishida??? I keep checking not only TWB social media but also those of the three choreographers.

I second this, Roberta. I keep checking each of those socials feeds and have had no luck. 

On 6/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, Dégagé E. said:

I second this, Roberta. I keep checking each of those socials feeds and have had no luck. 

TWB must read Ballet Alert. This morning they posted a clue to Brett Ishida's piece with a photo of the women's corps in a pose very reminiscent of Nijinska's Les Noces! No clue as to the music but we got a title:  "home-coming" (no capitals).

So, it's less than two weeks to the premiere and we know:

Work 1. "home-coming" - Brett Ishida, choreographer. Music???

Work 2. title unknown  "Beethoven Sonata" - Jessica Lang, choreographer. Music by Beethoven (piece unknown)

Work 3. "Where Do We Go Now?" - Mthuthuzeli November, choreographer. Music appears to include Gloria Estefan's pop tune "All Night Long" as per a FB clip two months ago but...the rest???

Edited by Roberta
On 6/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, Roberta said:

TWB must read Ballet Alert. This morning they posted a clue to Brett Ishida's piece with a photo of the women's corps in a pose very reminiscent of Nijinska's Les Noces! No clue as to the music but we got a title:  "home-coming" (no capitals).

So, it's less than two weeks to the premiere and we know:

Work 1. "home-coming" - Brett Ishida, choreographer. Music???

Work 2. title unknown - Jessica Lang, choreographer. Music by Beethoven (piece unknown)

Work 3. "Where Do We Go Now?" - Mthuthuzeli November, choreographer. Music appears to include Gloria Estefan's pop tune "All Night Long" as per a FB clip two months ago but...the rest???

Thank you Roberta! It’s all slowly becoming clearer..

Eureka! Nine days out and we now have titles for all three ballets for NEXTSteps. According to Jessica Lang's Instagram, her piece is titled Beethoven Sonata.  In sum:

New Ballet 1 - Brett Ishida's home-coming (music still unknown)

New Ballet 2 - Jessica Lang's Beethoven Sonata 

New Ballet 3 - Mthuthuzeli November's Where Do We Go Now? (Music still not announced...but Gloria Estefan's All Night Long was in the background of a Facebook clip last March)

The company's website's page for NEXTSteps is still not updated...but Ballet Alert has it. That's why we are Ballet Alert.