This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, May 10

dirac

Houston Ballet receives a $10 million legacy gift.

A well-heeled coterie of 150 (most Williams’ own guest list) gathered for the surprise reveal in the Dance Lab of the company’s six-story home, officially renamed as of this evening the Margaret Alkek Williams Center for Dance. A standing ovation ensued when Houston Ballet executive director Jim Nelson and creative director Stanton Welch made the announcement.

An interview with Sterling Hyltin.

Hyltin considers herself so blessed to have been able to do what she loves that she’s retiring in order to help her daughter find that special something for herself. “I love dancing so much,” Hyltin says. “It’s been a gift to be surrounded by passionate people. That gives you confidence. I want to inspire that in my daughter, let her teach me where she should be. And for that I need to be present for her, not off dancing all the time.”

An appreciation of the late ballet dancer and teacher Arnott Mader.

Many students and friends cite Mader’s wealth of stories as a highlight of their relationships with him. But they also know he was more than simply glamorous by association. His profound love and respect for the art form infused his work as a performer and a teacher. Even Margot Fonteyn knew this. While standing in the wings together before a performance of “Swan Lake” (he, Baron von Rothbart, she the Swan), Fonteyn turned to him and said, “Arnott, if everyone in this company had your discipline and dedication, this would be a much better company.”