This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

National Ballet of Canada 2022-2023 season

Evan McKie has not appeared on stage since August 2019. While with the company, he suffered a number of injury spells, missing Manon in November 2014, Sleeping Beauty in June 2015 and March 2018, Giselle in June 2016 and November 2019, Onegin in Ottawa in January 2017.

Guillaume Côté and Piotr Stanczyk are inching toward retirement. Harrison James is the company's iron horse. Naoya Ebe is an excellent dancer, but he has been injured not infrequently. Spencer Hack is more (very fine) artist than leading man. Siphesihle November is an sparkling dancer and audience favorite, but he requires very short partners, which the company works diligently to provide.

Edited by volcanohunter
13 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Siphesihle November is an sparkling dancer and audience favorite, but he requires very short partners, which the company works diligently to provide.

The way Siphesihle November dances is more contemporary than classical. He did not look right to me in Concerto or Symphony in C.

Ben Rudisin looked great in contemporary pieces. I have not seen him as a leading man in classical repertoire yet.

I saw Ben Rudisin partner Heather Ogden in Swan Lake last year and he did a credible job - he is an excellent partner in the classical pas de deux and his technique was up to the job in the solos.   He's certainly not a virtuoso but I had nothing to complain about in his performance.     

According the Tornto Star story a week ago, Muir does not seem well pleased with the decision as well and the impression is the dancers feel the same way.  Interesting to see how this will play out a few seasons from now.    A lot of money spent that has to be justified somehow.   I'm looking forward to reviews of this refurbished Cinderella when it opens at the Royal Ballet the end of the March.  It's being live screened but I can't find any theatre locations in our area scheduled.  Too bad as we could have got a preview of what may be coming our way.

15 minutes ago, Rosie2 said:

According the Tornto Star story a week ago, Muir does not seem well pleased with the decision as well and the impression is the dancers feel the same way.  Interesting to see how this will play out a few seasons from now.    A lot of money spent that has to be justified somehow.

I read Michael Crabb's review of Cinderella, and he didn't actually state that Muir was unhappy about the decision. But he did dedicate six paragraphs of his review to why he wasn't happy about the decision to co-produce a new Ashton production.

(He can be a maddening critic. Presumably he likes to stay on the good side of the company, and it was unmissable that he didn't write a review of the new Swan Lake, even though audiences spent two years waiting for the production. I also remember that in 1999 he heaped praise on Kudelka's Swan Lake, but by the time of its final run he was clearly sick of it.)

It's true that dancers aren't consulted on matters of repertoire. At best, principals have input on their final production, but not otherwise.

I last saw Ashton's Cinderella in 2019, performed by the National Ballet of Japan, so I will be very glad not to have to cross an ocean to see it.

Before the Kudelka version the National Ballet of Canada performed the Stevenson production, so the audience is not unfamiliar with panto-style stepsisters and a fairy godmother on pointe.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:39 PM, volcanohunter said:

Before the Kudelka version the National Ballet of Canada performed the Stevenson production, so the audience is not unfamiliar with panto-style stepsisters and a fairy godmother on pointe.

I don't recall ever seeing a Stevenson production and I've followed the company almost from the beginning.   The only other Cinderella I can recall is Celia Franca's production - one that was hastily thrown together and almost a complete disaster.   I remember it was filmed for TV at the time with Veronica Tennant and (I think) Jeremy Blanton in the lead roles.   When was the Stevenson production - I admit my memory is getting wonky.

Further comments on the Ashton Cinderella:   The question I ask is why - why spend the money on this.  I've seen this production and it has many fine moments but it is firmly in the historical cannon of the Royal Ballet.   It's like New York City Ballet deciding to do a new production of Balanchine's Nutcracker  and NBoC decides to co-produce it and bring it to Canada.   Makes no sense at all.  We have a great Cinderella so, if the company wants to co-produce with the Royal, why not spend the money  on something completely new and exciting.   Well, like the dancers in the company, no one is asking my opinion on decisions like this.   So I will just wait and see what happens ....just as I've been doing for 60 years.   

Edited by Rosie2
spelling
16 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

My all-time favorite NBoC danseur gave his final performance in the Stevenson Cinderella in 1995, as one of the stepsisters. (The nicer one. :))

I do not remember this at all - I just looked up the 1995 Repertoire list and there it is, along with other productions I remember from that season.   Obviously I never saw a performance or I'd certainly remember it.   Live and learn as they say.   

The last few days I've reading fan reviews of the Royal Ballet's Cinderella on the recently discovered balletcoforum.   An astonishing number of casts scheduled to dance the lead roles that make me green with envy!   Opinions are varied as one would expect but the discussion is passionate and informed.   These people know and love their ballet and their dancers.  

9 hours ago, Blackcurrant said:

I remember seeing the Stevenson Cinderella. It had clunky music and somehow I remember dragonflies or unicorns pulling Cinderella in a coach. Can that be?

The Stevenson Cinderella uses the same Prokofiev score everybody else uses. It's been performed by many companies, including Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Oregon, Norway, Colorado, San Jose, Ballet West.

I saw it again in March in Colorado. The choreography is serviceable, workmanlike, acceptable. It sells well for families with kids. 

https://philadelphiaballet.org/past-performances/cinderella-2022-23/

The unicorns (if that's what they are): cinderella_dress_16-1683-by_iziliaev.jpg

On 4/7/2023 at 8:00 AM, California said:

The Stevenson Cinderella uses the same Prokofiev score everybody else uses. It's been performed by many companies, including Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Oregon, Norway, Colorado, San Jose, Ballet West.

e cinderella_dress_16-1683-by_iziliaev.jpg

Stevenson's version was even danced by Margot Fonteyn back in the day. From an article by Anna Kisselgoff when ABT had the Stevenson version, briefly, in their repertory (link follows):

"George Balanchine was especially taken with this version and had it restaged in the mid-1970's at the Geneva Ballet, where he was artistic adviser..."

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/19/arts/dance-the-man-behind-the-much-in-demand-cinderella.html

Edited by Drew

Casting for Ratmansky's Romeo and Juliet:

Casting

Juliet
Heather Ogden (June 15, 21 at 7:30 pm/ June 25 at 2:00 pm)
Sara Mearns† (June 16 at 7:30 pm/ June 18 at 2:00 pm)
Tirion Law* (June 17 at 2:00 pm/ June 22 at 7:30 pm)
Chelsy Meiss (June 17, 23 at 7:30 pm)
Genevieve Penn Nabity* (June 22 at 2:00 pm/ June 24 at 7:30 pm)

Romeo
Harrison James (June 15, 21 at 7:30 pm/ June 25 at 2:00 pm)
Guillaume Côté (June 16 at 7:30 pm/ June 18 at 2:00 pm)
Naoya Ebe (June 17 at 2:00 pm/ June 22 at 7:30 pm)
Ben Rudisin (June 17, 23 at 7:30 pm)
Christopher Gerty* (June 22 at 2:00 pm/ June 24 at 7:30 pm)

Very disappointed that Svetlana Lunkina is not dancing Juliet or any performance since March, although Sara Mearns stepped in as Cote's partner.

Casting for Frame by Frame:

Norman McLaren
Jack Bertinshaw (June 2, 3, 7, 8, 10 at 7:30 pm/ June 11 at 2:00 pm)
Spencer Hack* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)

Guy Glover
Kota Sato* (June 2, 3, 7, 8, 10 at 7:30 pm/ June 11 at 2:00 pm)
Alexander Skinner* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)

Grant Munroe
Albjon Gjorllaku* (June 2, 3, 7, 8, 10 at 7:30 pm/ June 11 at 2:00 pm)
Jason Ferro* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)

John Grierson
Trygve Cumpston* (June 2, 3, 7, 8, 10 at 7:30 pm/ June 11 at 2:00 pm)
Teagan Richman-Taylor* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)

Oscar Peterson
Wellesley Robertson†

Evelyn Lambart
Hannah Galway* (June 2, 3, 7, 10 at 7:30 pm)
Jeannine Haller* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)
Tirion Law* (June 8 at 7:30 pm/ 11 at 2:00 pm)

Maurice Blackburn
Harrison James (June 2, 3, 7, 10 at 7:30 pm)
Ben Rudisin* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)
Larkin Miller* (June 8 at 7:30 pm/ 11 at 2:00 pm)

Rene Jodoin
Noah Parets* (June 2, 3, 7, 10 at 7:30 pm)
Josh Hall* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)
Isaac Wright* (June 8 at 7:30 pm/ 11 at 2:00 pm)

Ludmilla Chiriaeff
Chelsy Meiss* (June 2, 3, 7, 8, 10 at 7:30 pm/ June 11 at 2:00 pm)
Selene Guerrero-Trujillo* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)

Margaret Mercier
Alexandra MacDonald* (June 2, 3, 7, 10 at 7:30 pm)
Tanya Howard* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)
Genevieve Penn Nabity* (June 8 at 7:30 pm/ 11 at 2:00 pm)

Vincent Warren
Harrison James (June 2, 3, 7, 10 at 7:30 pm)
Ben Rudisin* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)
Larkin Miller* (June 8 at 7:30 pm/ 11 at 2:00 pm)

Anna-Marie Holmes
Calley Skalnik* (June 2, 3, 7, 8, 10 at 7:30 pm/ June 11 at 2:00 pm)
Brenna Flaherty* (June 3, 4 at 2:00 pm/ June 9 at 7:30 pm)

*Debut
†Guest Artist

I was looking forward to their partnering in R & J so disappointed right now.  On the other hand I read good comments about Mearns and Cote's Swan Lake so interested to see them here.   I've got three R & J's booked and would like to squeeze in Penn Nabity if I can manage it.  I don't think we'll have her very long so would like to see what she can do while she's here.

3 hours ago, Rosie2 said:

I wonder if Svetlana Lunkina is injured and that's why Sara Mearns came in to guest

That seems unlikely given that Mearns has never danced the ballet and cannot be present in Toronto right now to learn it. In the event of an injury, it would make sense to teach the role to another member of the company, as rehearsals are taking place.

Emma Hawes did return from London to dance Cinderella when the roster of available dancers grew thin, but she had danced the role in the past, and that was the point of inviting her. Or when a couple of ABT dancers came to the rescue of a run of Manon when the male ranks were awash in injuries: they stepped in because they danced those roles at ABT.

Today's vlog from Tirion Law shows Svetlana Lunkina at a rehearsal of Symphony in C on the left side of the screen in full rehearsal gear: pink tights and rehearsal tutu. If she can dance the fourth movement of Symphony in C, she's not injured. A few minutes later there is footage of Lunkina rehearsing Law for Romeo and Juliet. If she has been shut out of casting in favor of Sara Mearns, this is a very gracious thing of Lunkina to do.

Edited by volcanohunter

Just back from the Mad Hot Gala - great food and lots of wine.The dancing...well, let's be charitable and just say 'Symphony in C' was sloppy. Very sloppy. Nice to see Lunkina back on stage though, even if was only in the finale.' Tonight's cast had several changes.Let's hope the dancing wounded can get through the rest of this final season.