This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

National Ballet of Canada 2022-2023 season

I'm not thrilled, but I guess this reflects Hope Muir's tastes.

I am curious about the game plan for for Symphony in C, because it’s a bit of a stretch for the company to put 40 women on stage. When the National Ballet first performed the ballet in the 1980s, there were joint performances with Les Grands Ballets Canadiens and the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. 

5 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I'm not thrilled, but I guess this reflects Hope Muir's tastes.

I am curious about the game plan for for Symphony in C, because it’s a bit of a stretch for the company to put 40 women on stage. When the National Ballet first performed the ballet in the 1980s, there were joint performances with Les Grands Ballets Canadiens and the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. 

I take the two mixed-bill as reflection of Hope Muir's tastes.

The other four programmes are all planned by Karen Kain, for cancelled 2020-21 Season ( (MADDADDAM, Cincerella, Frame by Frame) or cut short 2019-20 Season (R&J).

And I realize that if the company has already paid for licensing agreements, it doesn't want that money to go to waste, especially in the wake of a year and a half without box-office revenue. But given that I don't care for Kudelka's work, have no use for Côté's and detest Ratmansky's Romeo and Juliet, I can't get very excited about the season.

There are a number of regular contributors to this board who seem to confidently object to Muir’s programming yet have also previously objected to Kain’s programming. In fact, these same contributors also object to the presence of Kudelka (or Coté) in any programming.

It does cause one to ponder who they believe programmed well, if ever, at the NBOC. 

As someone admittedly new to the art of ballet going I must admit I find the next season a step forward. There is less of the pandering (Pinocchio) and less of the political obligation (Binet) and I think that is good thing. I do share the curiosity of how they would get Symphony in C onstage. 

I logged into my account today to learn that the price has gone up fairly significantly (just over 20%).  On the one hand I'm not surprised, but I do wish NBOC gave subscribers a bit of a heads up about these things.  They did something similar a number of years ago when they changed the "zone" (and hence the price point) of my seat.

I've been a subscriber for a long time and I really like the location of my seat, but I don't know if I want to pay $200 per performance...

I know from experience that letting a subscription lapse can be a point of no return. :) I suppose it would depend on how invested you are in the season. Perhaps a reduced subscription? Seats in all areas tend to be available almost until the last minute, so I have little doubt that you could move your subscription to a less expensive part of the hall.

Posted (edited)

I was anticipating a price increase (after all everything else is) so built in the extra in my budget just i case.     As for the season - very happy to see MacMillan's Concerto back,  a brilliant work, and same with Balanchine's Symphony  in C.   Where the extra dancers will com from could be an interesting guessing game over the summer.   I prefer Cranko's R & J but Ratmansky still has some gorgeous choreography, unhappily  hidden by some unfortunate costumes in the corps.    Kudelka"s Cinderella  is one my favorites so no problem there but I'll miss Rodriguez in the role.   As for the rest, all unknown.    I've yet to be impressed by Cote but since I've not seen Frame By Frame I'll give it a chance.   I've watched some of Dawson's Anima Animus on YouTube and liked what I saw - looking forward to this one.    Never been a fan of McGregor but still intrigued  by collaboration with Atwood on  MaddAddam.      The rest is all unknown but who knows there may be some hidden gems there.    Wait and see.       I'm hoping by next year the company will have had the time required to get fully back in top conditioning after the two year break.  There was some mighty sloppy dancing in the last run of Sleeping Beauty, totally forgiven considering what they've been through.   A little nervous about how they will manage the upcoming Swan Lake.   Fingers crossed.    There should be an announcement soon about promotions and I'm betting there maybe some outside hires in the male principal rank.

Edited by Rosie2
spelling