This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, April 21

dirac

"A Day in the Life of James Whiteside" photo gallery in The New York Times Style magazine.

Before rehearsal for “Giselle” starts, Whiteside and some of his company members spend a few minutes “content gathering,” as they call it, for social media. “When I do a TikTok or Instagram dance trend, I like to ‘ballet-ify’ it,” he says.

Whiteside talks about doing drag.

My drag name is Ühu Betch. Ühu is an irreverent nonsense queen. She’s not overly polished. She’s fun and frankly kind of stupid — a drag queen with dad jokes. All the performances I do are dance-heavy because that’s what comes naturally to me, but they’re never too sexy, or maybe they’re sexy by accident. One of my favorites was at a club in Philadelphia in 2015. I sewed a silk pope costume, with a miter and everything, and added Velcro in the back so I could tear it off. Throughout the number, the audience would stick out their tongues and I’d place rice crackers on them. I was stripping, giving people the Eucharist, doing drop splits and just going mad.