This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2022 Rep Season - Swan Lake

Throughout the last 14 years since I've been attending, SFB has regularly left a gap and added a performance for ballets such as Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet. I am attending the final four performances and went online yesterday to see how tickets were selling - extremely well, so this is terrific for those who want to go and will be able to get good tickets or take children/family and sit together. 

I just noticed emails from Stanford Live and SFB announcing Starry Nights with SFB for two evening performances on Aug. 5 and 6, 2022.  I went to SFB's first live performance last summer at Stanford's Frost Amphitheater and had a wonderful time.  They are performing Tomasson's 7 for Eight, Robbins's In the Night, and Forsythe's Blake Works I.  

11 minutes ago, Josette said:

Throughout the last 14 years since I've been attending, SFB has regularly left a gap and added a performance for ballets such as Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet. I am attending the final four performances and went online yesterday to see how tickets were selling - extremely well, so this is terrific for those who want to go and will be able to get good tickets or take children/family and sit together. 

I just noticed emails from Stanford Live and SFB announcing Starry Nights with SFB for two evening performances on Aug. 5 and 6, 2022.  I went to SFB's first live performance last summer at Stanford's Frost Amphitheater and had a wonderful time.  They are performing Tomasson's 7 for Eight, Robbins's In the Night, and Forsythe's Blake Works I.  

Thanks for plugging Starry Nights, Josette - I just added that topic. As I recall, it was a success last time, and it makes sense for SFB to do these short "tour" performances in the greater Bay Area.

1 hour ago, pherank said:

Thanks for plugging Starry Nights, Josette - I just added that topic. As I recall, it was a success last time, and it makes sense for SFB to do these short "tour" performances in the greater Bay Area.

Pherank, I saw your post after I had already posted above. I plan on returning to see SFB at Frost Amphitheatre in August.  

Principal Casting for the first 3 performances has been posted - https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/

SWAN LAKE

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Black Swan Pas de Deux and Act II Choreography: after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov
Scenery and Costume Design: Jonathan Fensom
Lighting Design: Jennifer Tipton
Projection Design: Sven Ortel
Hair, Wig and Make-up Design: Michael Ward
Assistant to the Choreographer: Lola de Avila

Friday, April 29, 8:00 PM

• Odette-Odile: Frances Chung
  • Prince Siegfried: Joseph Walsh
  • Von Rothbart: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira
  • Pas de Trois: Isabella DeVivo, Julia Rowe, Esteban Hernandez

Saturday, April 30, :00 PM

• Odette-Odile: Sasha De Sola
  • Prince Siegfried: Max Cauthorn
  • Von Rothbart: Tiit Helimets
  • Pas de Trois: Madison Keesler, Norka Matsuyama, Lucas Erni

Saturday, April 30, 8:00 PM

• Odette-Odile: Misa Kuranaga
  • Prince Siegfried: Angelo Greco
  • Von Rothbart: Alexander Reneff-Olson
  • Pas de Trois: Isabella DeVivo, Julia Rowe, Esteban Hernandez

Casting is subject to change without notice.

Music: Swan Lake, Op. 20. Costume Design Associate, Yvonne Milnes. Design Assistant to Mr. Ward, Carole Hancock. Tutus constructed by Yoshi Terashima, London, England. Costumes constructed by Phil Reynolds, Sasha Keir, Jane Johnson, Charles Hanrahan, Robert Gordon, Sue Kay, Karen Shannon, Mark Wheeler, London, England. Additional costumes constructed by the San Francisco Opera Costume Shop, Danielle McCartan, Costume Director. Wigs and Feather Headdresses constructed and dressed by Christine Sterritt at the Wig Workshop of London. Further wig dressing by Melanie Birch and the Wig Boys, San Francisco, CA. Boots by Pluma, Portland, OR. Specialty shoes by John Hiatt, Salt Lake City, UT. Scenic Design Associate, Chad Owens, San Francisco, CA. Scenic Design Assistants, Alasdair Oliver, Alistair Turner, Jason Southgate, London, England. Video Design Associate, S. Katy Tucker, New York, NY. Video Design Assistant, Peter Vincent Acken, New York, NY. Scenic construction and painting by San Francisco Ballet Carpentry and Scenic Departments.

Sasha De Sola (shown with Max Cauthorn) has posted this bit of rehearsal footage - looks like Helgi Tomasson and wife Marlene sitting with their backs to the camera:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cctin3GFFQG/

Misa Kuranaga says that her schedule for Swan Lake will be:
Saturday 4/30 at 8 PM
Thursday 5/5 at 7:30 PM
Sunday 5/8 at 2 PM
"I’m dancing the role of Odette/Odile with @_angelogreco_ as my prince. Photo by @sashaarro and he is my Rothbart."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CctrSIZvTyW/

Edited by pherank
4 hours ago, PeggyR said:

I am SO glad Chung is finally dancing O/O, and opening night, too!  Based on her exquisite Giselle a few years ago, and her technical strength, she should be wonderful.

Agreed. All the couples would be great to see. I believe there's one more couple to be listed, too.

I saw Chung dance a refined, exquisite Kingdom of the Shades from La Bayadere, and am hoping that I will see her in one of the last four Swan Lakes that I have tickets to. 

I keep checking casting to see who the fourth cast of principals will be.  

Wona Park and Wei Wang are scheduled for May 1st mat and May 4th.

Sunday, May 1, 2:00 PM

Odette-Odile: Wona Park

Prince Siegfried: Wei Wang

Von Rothbart: Nathaniel Remez

Pas de Trois: Olivia Brothers, Leili Rackow, Joshua Jack Price

Tuesday, May 3, 7:30 PM

Odette-Odile: Sasha De Sola

Prince Siegfried: Max Cauthorn

Von Rothbart: Tiit Helimets

Pas de Trois: Isabella DeVivo, Julia Rowe, Esteban Hernandez

Wednesday, May 4, 7:30 PM

Odette-Odile: Wona Park

Prince Siegfried: Wei Wang

Von Rothbart: Nathaniel Remez

Pas de Trois: Megan Amanda Ehrlich, Madison Keesler, Lucas Erni

Believe it or not, I happened to wake up about 1 am this morning, and decided to take a chance and check if the casting had been updated.  Very excited about the Park/Wang/Remez cast, and I think I managed to get the last available ticket for May 1.  I’ve seen Park and Wang together before, and they seem to be a good pairing; Remez was very impressive as the Poet in The Little Mermaid, so I’m looking forward to an interesting Rothbart.  (I’ve always thought we American ballet lovers don’t really appreciate good character dancers the way the Russians do; Daniel Deivison-Oliveira is another one I’ll go out of my way to see in character roles.)

Wish I could see all casts; my season ticket is for May 7, so looking forward to catching at least one other pairing (and to comments here about the rest).

It’s good to see completely sold-out performances, even the upper side balcony.  So far as I know, standing room still isn’t being sold (it wasn’t for Nutcracker).

8 hours ago, PeggyR said:

Believe it or not, I happened to wake up about 1 am this morning, and decided to take a chance and check if the casting had been updated.  Very excited about the Park/Wang/Remez cast, and I think I managed to get the last available ticket for May 1.  I’ve seen Park and Wang together before, and they seem to be a good pairing; Remez was very impressive as the Poet in The Little Mermaid, so I’m looking forward to an interesting Rothbart.  (I’ve always thought we American ballet lovers don’t really appreciate good character dancers the way the Russians do; Daniel Deivison-Oliveira is another one I’ll go out of my way to see in character roles.)

Wish I could see all casts; my season ticket is for May 7, so looking forward to catching at least one other pairing (and to comments here about the rest).

It’s good to see completely sold-out performances, even the upper side balcony.  So far as I know, standing room still isn’t being sold (it wasn’t for Nutcracker).

Remez has oodles of talent for character roles. He could go straight to Principal Character dancer at SFB.

On 4/27/2022 at 3:54 PM, Phrenchphry11 said:

So I was just at the public dress rehearsal this afternoon, and I noticed the swans weren't wearing the feathered caps, but instead were wearing the more traditional-looking headpieces.  Does anyone know if SFB is doing away with the feathered caps?  I kind of liked those!!

I like the caps, too! They're were dune cap fitting posts a few weeks ago, but this week, dancers have been posting on IG with the more traditional headpieces. Seems like the caps are retired along with Tomasson.

https://instagram.com/stories/sashadesola/2826739289036295672?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

https://instagram.com/stories/sashadesola/2826739635561218354?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

https://instagram.com/stories/ellen.rose.hummel/2826705081028782314?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

The traditional headpieces were back on opening night!

I now realize the caps are an "either you love 'em or hate 'em" thing. I've always hated them. 

Beautiful performance, unsurprisingly. (Have to save a longer analysis for the review I'm penning for Bachtrack, as we speak.)

Edited by Terez

Madison Keesler and Megan Amanda Ehrlich both posted on their IG stories this week about negative feedback in the pas de trois rehearsal (same trio), and Megan posted today that today's pdt is now her only one. Madison and Amanda are no longer scheduled for May 4th. I know casting is always subject to change, but for two dancers who are retiring/leaving, this has to be heartbreaking. 

https://instagram.com/stories/rairydoll/2827958738951138457?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Edited by PeggyTulle
Link

Natasha Sheehan likely won't be dancing in the pas de trois either:

"Though tonight is the opening of @sfballet’s Swan Lake, I will sadly be missing it due to a string of bad luck (a recovering ankle sprain injury, Strep Throat and now a secondary viral infection 😩). That being said, I’m on the mend and am hoping to be able to dance in the run for some of the last performances.🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Wishing the whole company a successful start to the last program of our 2022 season and I hope to join you all on stage soon! 🦢🤍"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc80I5_vz1e/

Edited by pherank

Joe Walsh's thoughts and photos posted to IG:

"From Friday April 29, 2022. Our final opening of the @sfballet season… Helgi’s Final opening, International Dance Day, my birthday, and Siegfried’s Birthday too. I don’t know how to explain all of the time and emotion spent leading up to this show with THE @franadian but I can try... Fran you made the process and the perfecting easy, and we found our story on Friday, every ounce of sweat was worth it. It felt easy to play your “idiot prince” (© maya plisetskaya)… Lola De Avila, we are your sponges ready to soak up all the wisdom. Thank you for being here with us to discuss any and all decisions we are needing to sort out, technical or within the story. To be given the freedom and trust to truly explore these characters means everything at this moment of our careers. Everyone looked incredible on Friday, and the debuts since have been astounding. All my love to this crew, and to @lcstrongin and my babe at home, when I started rehearsing swan lake Cy was just 1 month old. Now a tooth is here…Time. WTF. One more thought… it’s always impossible to thank our audience properly but this season especially. The return to stage was so much easier with y’all’s support, and next season come back for more once our new Director @rojotamara has taken the helm. Fresh new beginnings with all this history behind it. That is SFB."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdCp6Viu-fS/

Looks like Angelo Greco just had his birthday too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdD_Vj_J-PW/

Edited by pherank

I finally saw SFB's Swan Lake for the first time this past weekend.  In 2017 I had tickets to see it, even a ticket to see YY, but sadly I had to cancel last minute due to a family emergency.

Overall impressions on the production first:  It is the shortest production at just over two hours, which is kind of nice since I saw both shows on Saturday and flew in earlier in the day.  The prologue is nice for those unfamiliar with the story.  Act I ends with a slow solo for Siegfried with a lot of big jumps, and the music is very quiet, so I give the dancer a lot of kudos there.  Hard stuff.  Act II pretty traditional.  Act III is very short and arranged abruptly for me (national dances then right into black swan pdd, no anticipation).  I also think it is strange to have Siegfried choose a potential bride from the national dancers (usually there for entertainment).  I really like how involved Von Rothbart is throughout Act III and all his costumes throughout the show.  Act IV musically arranged and interpreted differently, I'm not sure I like how Helgi used the "Hollywood moment" music for Siegfied's entrance, as he searches for Odette.  I've seen maybe eight or so other productions and never one with and ending where you see the spirits come together in the end so that makes this production unique.

I love the set and the distinction between the palace grounds, lakeside (that huge rock looks so real), and the ballroom.   The crew is able to change it very quickly.  The digital of the princess turning into the swan in the prologue is very unique.  The end of Act I is so pretty with the sky changing and the palace grounds dusky and the oversized lights coming on.  That elevating trap door in the rock is fun for Von Rothbart's first entrance, Odette in Act III, and the couple in the end.

As for the costumes, I always thought the feathered caps were a bit not to my taste but I'm sorry I didn't see them.  I could see how they would go with the set and the simplified bodice on the tutus.  The colors in Act I for the aristocrats and peasants I felt were a little dark, I'm used to a brighter palette in PNB's production, which I see the most.  I saw the gold Odile tiara on social media before my trip and thought it looked bad, but it was fine in person.  Again, I really loved all of Von Rothbart's costumes throughout the show.  I think they elevate his importance as a character, plus his dancing - jumping, overhead lifting Odette, fighting with Siegfried.

All weekend there were a lot of people who don't regularly attend the ballet.  I could tell in the vaccination check line as well as those sitting around me.  This is a good production for those new to ballet, you know the first one after Nutcracker, maybe that's why Helgi kept it shorter.  I can also see that the coaching/dancing is very serious and this production of Swan Lake serves serious ballet lovers as well.  More on the dancing and specific casts in a separate post...