This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023 Rep Season To Include 9 New Works

On 8/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, pherank said:

SFB sent out a 2023 subscription e-mail today:

On Sale Now
Principal and Story Ballet Trio Packages
https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/2023-season-tickets/

I don’t really follow the San Francisco Ballet that closely, but from what I’ve seen on my recent viewing of its World Ballet Day, I see a lot of things that I like. The company reminds me somewhat of what I saw in ABT this summer. Probably because of changes brought about because of the virus, both companies look more youthful and vibrant, but still of the highest quality. And lots of new names, for me at least. The SFB programming for this presentation is also very interesting and of the highest quality. One person mentioned the company’s versatility and another the value of diversity. Both seem to be well represented.

This presentation reminds me somewhat of the Miami City Ballet, in particular the Edward Villella company, which I really enjoyed. Helgi Tomasson is stepping out on a high note with this programming. I hope that Tamara Rojo continues in the same direction. I think that she has a lot of very good quality here to work with.

From the World Ballet Day program, one work that I like a lot is Dana Genshaft's Future Paper performed by The San Francisco Ballet School Trainees. It showcases their fineness and versatility  in a style that I like very much because it combines the lyrical grace of ballet with a sense of naturalness. It could also be called orchestral. I think that Dana Genshaft does a very nice job with her take and I hope that the company continues working in this area.

It’s a style used by some choreographers and here’s one example from Lar Lubovitch, which is a more lyrical example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gk-6cmpoMs

It’s the dreamlike quality that I can associate with Swan Lake, Giselle and even Far Eastern Classical. The rehearsal of Katherine Barkman in Giselle with Jasmine Jimison echoing her in the background (a beautiful if not intended composition) shows this.

A combining of these two lyrical forms, classical and natural, could produce some fine results and I hope that the company will pursue this.

Added:

And here’s a more high energy example that I like very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmGJh0LfGiQ

Edited by Buddy
4 hours ago, Buddy said:

From the World Ballet Day program, one work that I like a lot is Dana Genshaft's Future Paper performed by The San Francisco Ballet School Trainees.

As I remember, "Future Paper" was part of the SFB digital season (pandemic lock-down) presentations. I enjoyed that one too. I liked the space they were working in as well. I don't remember who was doing the cinematography, though. Sometimes ex-SFB people create videos for the company or individual company members. There have been dancers with varied talents passing through the SFB doors.

I was looking for a list of Genshaft's dance pieces, but I haven't found one yet. She did commissions for Washington Ballet, and Cincinnati Ballet. And something for the SF Dance Festival, SFDanceworks.

Edited by pherank
12 hours ago, pherank said:

As I remember, "Future Paper" was part of the SFB digital season (pandemic lock-down) presentations. I enjoyed that one too. I liked the space they were working in as well. I don't remember who was doing the cinematography, though. Sometimes ex-SFB people create videos for the company or individual company members. There have been dancers with varied talents passing through the SFB doors.

I was looking for a list of Genshaft's dance pieces, but I haven't found one yet. She did commissions for Washington Ballet, and Cincinnati Ballet. And something for the SF Dance Festival.

Here’s another like it for Atlanta Ballet from about a year ago. It also had the Mariinsky’s similarly oriented Maxim Petrov, whom I often like very much and have often mentioned, as a choreographer. As a matter of fact, this video has elements of Maxim Petrov.  This is  another company that I want to keep an eye on.

Pleiades Dances by Claudia Schreier

https://vimeo.com/545680558

(I hope that “Do Not Copy” doesn’t mean no Link)

Edited by Buddy
23 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Here’s another like it for Atlanta Ballet from about a year ago. It also had the Mariinsky’s similarly oriented Maxim Petrov, whom I often like very much and have often mentioned, as a choreographer. It’s another company that I want to keep an eye on.

Pleiades Dances by Claudia Schreier

https://vimeo.com/545680558

The A.D. at Atlanta Ballet is Gennadi Nedvigin, ex SFB principal. Claudia Schreier is the Choreographer in Residence at Atlanta Ballet. She's actually creating on SFB for the first time now. Should be interesting.