This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Roster Changes 2022

Madison Keesler posted over the weekend that she danced her final show with SF Ballet. Her other performances were unexpectedly recast. I've greatly enjoyed her dancing over the years, and while I'm bummed about her shortened Swan Lake run (which seems odd since I had friends at her one show who said she and Megan Amanda were quite lovely), I truly hope that she finds wonderful opportunities in New York. She lights up a stage and always shares her passion with the audience. Cheers to you, Madison, if you're reading this! Thank you for sharing your gifts with us SF folx.

6 hours ago, PeggyTulle said:

Madison Keesler posted over the weekend that she danced her final show with SF Ballet. Her other performances were unexpectedly recast. I've greatly enjoyed her dancing over the years, and while I'm bummed about her shortened Swan Lake run (which seems odd since I had friends at her one show who said she and Megan Amanda were quite lovely), I truly hope that she finds wonderful opportunities in New York. She lights up a stage and always shares her passion with the audience. Cheers to you, Madison, if you're reading this! Thank you for sharing your gifts with us SF folx.

Amen to that.

Madison Keesler's farewell message to SF:

Well… it’s happening.
Today is my last day at the @sfwarmemorial.
I’ve been so lucky to perform in some of the world’s most incredible theaters, but for me nothing will ever be able to compare to the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House.

The first time I stepped onstage to perform here I was 16 years old. It was the 75th anniversary year, and to celebrate the school was performing in the company’s January opening gala — something that doesn’t normally happen. John Neumeier had come to set his ballet “Yondering” on @sfballetschool for the first time, and I was lucky enough to be chosen to perform the principal role.

I remember being so excited and nervous before that performance. As the time came for my first entrance the butterflies in my stomach continued to fly around. Then, I stepped onstage. Suddenly it was as though I was the most calm and happy I’ve ever felt. The loving energy of the audience radiated from the house, the lights felt warm and comforting, and everything felt still and peaceful. It was just me out there in that moment, on that big beautiful stage, and to this day it remains one of my favorite moments of my performing career.

I’ve had good shows on this stage. I’ve had bad shows in this stage. I’ve been running late more than a few times for some corps de ballet roles that I didn’t love having to do but were simply part of my job. I’ve prepared for and performed some incredible soloist and principal roles. On this stage I’ve been told I’m not good enough, I’ve been told I’m fantastic, I’ve been told I’m too big, I’ve been told I’m too skinny. I’ve felt so many emotions both onstage and backstage that it is hard to keep track. I’ve laughed and cried in these dressing rooms more times than I could count. I’ve had incredible dressing room moments — from singing pop songs with @sashadesola in dressing room 30 when we were teens, to planning and talking about a new nyc future in dressing room 20 with @isabelladevivo and @juliarowekim

Honestly, I could go on and on, so I’ll end with this…

Thank you. Thank you to everyone and everything that made this theater, this home, so incredible over the past 15 years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdUIaIoP3k8/

Whelp. Madison's experience highlights the emotional rollercoaster of professional ballet. I don't want to dwell on the downs too much (at least not within this specific post) except to say that I am grateful for her performances whether they have been contractually required corps or more prominent lead roles. She shines brightly wherever she is, and her dancing has always moved me in ways that I cannot quite put into words. May her transition from SF to NYC be exciting and prosperous! 

From the 2022 SF Ballet School Spring Festival notice:

"In celebration of the festival's return to stage, SF Ballet announces that 13 SF Ballet School students and alumni will join the Company for the 2023 Season. Effective July 1, these seven students from SF Ballet School will join the Company: João Da Silva (Brazil) will join SF Ballet’s Corps de Ballet, and Jihyun Choi (South Korea), Seojeong Yun (South Korea), Benjamin Davidoff (Belgium), Parker Garrison (North Carolina), and Bay Area natives Angela Watson and Jasper True Stanford will join as Apprentices. And these six SF Ballet School alumni are promoted to the corps de ballet after having served as Apprentices: Juliana Bellisimo, Andris Kundzins, Nicole Moyer, Pemberley Ann Olson, Jamie Adele Stephens, and Alexis Valdes."

From today's SFB e-mail:

Katherine Barkman joins as Soloist, effective July 1, 2022

A native of Philadelphia, Katherine Barkman is currently a Principal Dancer at The Washington Ballet. Her roles at The Washington Ballet include Odette/Odile in Swan Lake, Kitri in Don Quixote, Giselle in Giselle, and Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty (“a jewel of a ballerina, with her pure, effortless technique and easy charm,” wrote The Washington Post). Barkman’s full biography can be found here.

Appointments/Level
Isaac Hernández/Principal (previously announced)
Katherine Barkman/Soloist

Promotions/Level (previously announced)
Juliana Bellissimo/Corps de Ballet
Andris Kundzins/Corps de Ballet
Nicole Moyer/Corps de Ballet
Pemberley Ann Olson/Corps de Ballet
João Da Silva/Corps de Ballet
Jamie Adele Stephens/Corps de Ballet
Alexis Valdes/Corps de Ballet

New Apprentices/Training (previously announced)
Jihyun Choi/San Francisco Ballet School
Seojeong Yun/San Francisco Ballet School
Benjamin Davidoff/San Francisco Ballet School
Parker Garrison/San Francisco Ballet School
Angela Watson/San Francisco Ballet School
Jasper True Stanford/San Francisco Ballet School

I'm kind of stunned by the Katherine Barkman hire. She doesn't really fill a void, and while she's well known... I never find her mannerisms or presentation genuine. If you're going to hire a soloist, why her? Several corps members stepped into soloist roles this season and killed it. I'm bummed none of them were promoted (e.g.Thamires Chuvas or Ludmila Bizalion) or a BIPOC dancer wasn't hired. 

1 hour ago, PeggyTulle said:

<snip. Several corps members stepped into soloist roles this season and killed it. I'm bummed none of them were promoted (e.g.Thamires Chuvas or Ludmila Bizalion) or a BIPOC dancer wasn't hired. 

Completely agree about Chuvas and Bizalion; both are ready to step up.

On the plus side, I’m glad to see Jasmine Jimison is still on the roster, since she’s still listed on Boston Ballet as a second soloist.

Agree with all of the above.  I've never seen Katherine Barkman dance before, but I just checked out some YouTube clips of her and she looks like a lovely dancer, but truthfully, I was expecting a Chuvas promotion over any external hires.    

I'm also surprised no Soloist -> Principal promotions since there's vacancy now.  (Both Julia Rowe and Isabella DeVivo have been workhorses this entire season, so I expected them to be on the shortlist)

I wonder if they're holding off on any big promotions until the new administration settles in?

Unfortunately, all the dancers must now prove themselves to the new A.D., so I'll wager that internal promotions to Principal are unlikely until later in 2023 (or Rojo hires from outside instead). It will be interesting to see if Rojo is a nurturer, or more of a Kevin McKenzie-type looking for "stars" to bring in.

I am a huge fan of gorgeous Isabella DeVivo and this past season I was overjoyed to see her dance principal and solo roles brilliantly in classical, neo-classical, and contemporary works.  She was a showstopper in Ratmansky's The Seasons and outdanced her extremely capable colleagues in Blake Works II with her musical phrasing. She has everything it takes to be an outstanding principal dancer and she should be given every opportunity to progress.  I also love Julia Rowe, which I have mentioned for years in this forum. 

Chuvas was breathtaking in the new Dwight Rhoden work and should have been promoted.  I also am waiting for Sasha Mukhamedov to take her rightful place as a principal at SFB, as she is dancing now without injury.