This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2022 Rep Season - Program 6

Principal Casting for the first 2 performances of  Program 6 is up (CASTING - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)), which opens Wednesday 4/6:

PROGRAM 6

PRISM

Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Costume Design: Martin Pakledinaz
Lighting Design: Mark Stanley

FINALE FINALE (WORLD PREMIERE)

Composer: Darius Milhaud
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon
Costume Design: Reid Bartelme and Harriet Jung
Lighting Design: Alexander V. Nichols

THE PROMISED LAND (WORLD PREMIERE)

Composers: Philip Glass, Luke Howard, Kirill Richter, Rodrigo Sigal, Hans Zimmer
Choreographer: Dwight Rhoden
Costume Design: Christine Darch
Lighting Design: Michael Korsch
Assistant to the Choreographer: Clifford Williams

Wednesday, April 6, 7:30 PM

PRISM

• Sasha De Sola, Max Cauthorn, Lonnie Weeks
  • Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets
  • Julian MacKay Angelo Greco

FINALE FINALE

• Dores André, Joseph Walsh
  • Isabella DeVivo, Benjamin Freemantle
  • Elizabeth Powell, Cavan Conley, Esteban Hernandez

THE PROMISED LAND

• Esteban Hernandez
  • Frances Chung, Angelo Greco
  • WanTing Zhao, Benjamin Freemantle
  • Isabella DeVivo, Joseph Walsh
  • Sasha De Sola, Wei Wang

Thursday, April 7, 7:30 PM

PRISM

• Norika Matsuyama, Henry Sidford, Mingxuan Wang
  • Sasha Mukhamedov, Luke Ingham
  • Lucas Erni Julian MacKay

FINALE FINALE

• Dores André, Joseph Walsh
  • Isabella DeVivo, Benjamin Freemantle
  • Elizabeth Powell, Cavan Conley, Esteban Hernandez

THE PROMISED LAND

• Esteban Hernandez
  • Wona Park, Angelo Greco
  • WanTing Zhao, Benjamin Freemantle
  • Isabella DeVivo, Joseph Walsh
  • Sasha De Sola, Wei Wang

Casting is subject to change without notice.

PRODUCTION CREDITS:

Prism — Music: Piano Concerto No. 1 in C Major, Op. 15. Costumes constructed by Barbara Matera, Ltd., New York, New York. Fabric dyeing by Dye-Namix, New York, New York.

Finale Finale (World Premiere) — Finale Finale© by Christopher Wheeldon. Produced by San Francisco Ballet in collaboration with the Impossible Festival, Mexico. Music: Le Bœuf sur le toit, Op. 58. Costumes constructed by Colin Davis Jones Studios, New York, New York.

The Promised Land (World Premiere) — Music: The Secret Agent for Solo Cello, "Primacy of Number" from Naqoyqatsi and Song V from Songs and Poems for Solo Cello by Philip Glass, © 1995, 2001 Dunvagen Music Publishers Inc. used by permission; Prelude for a Single Voice and The Map Is Not the Territory by Luke Howard, used by permission of the composer; Chronos by Kirill Richter, used by permission of the composer; Original composition by Rodrigo Sigal; "Time" from Inception by Hans Zimmer, © 2010 Universal Music Corp. and Warne Olive Music LLC, used by permission. Costumes constructed by Christine Darch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTEWORTHY:  The first appearance of Julian MacKay!!  Looks like he is the leading man in the third movement of Prism in Thursday's performance.

Edited by sf_herminator
casting update 4/1

I saw Sunday 2pm performance and absolutely loved it. Everyone danced so beautifully (no surprise there - do they ever not?) and I relished seeing some of the younger dancers in the bigger roles. In Prism, loved watching WanTing Zhao and Henry Sidford. He seems to be developing extraordinary skills in partnering the (taller?) female principals. I've seen  him excel in that, something like 4 times this year (including with YY in Land of Snow). Kudos to him. Max Cauthorn, too, is making good on the considerable promise he showed at a new corps dancer, years back. I remember my eyes settling on him during an early World Ballet Day, and being so impressed by his control, a certain precision stillness to the upper body as he delivered all these technically assured jumps and leaps. Finale Finale was pure fun from start to finish. The music was fantastic. Costumes were fun and fantastical. The dancers must have had a ball.

In the Promised Land was amazing and what I loved was how it was varied and had moods that elevated, decelerated, tugged at your heart, then made your pulse quicken. I love the music of Hans Zimmer, and I imagine those were my favorite parts of the ballet, but it was all so interesting and seemed to pick up energy as the ballet progressed. Sometimes these propulsive non-narrative ballets get to be too much and I'm idly wondering how much longer it will go on (Justin Peck's work does that to me), and I seem to recall feeling that way about Dwight Rhoden's 2018 ballet. But this one really carried some magic. Several of the moments felt truly transcendent. Lucas Erni was a rock star; he really had a great performance. There was Henry Sidford, again, too, this time partnering Jen Stahl, and again, I'm so impressed that he makes these various female principals shine (they do anyway, but a poorly-matched partner, as we know, can bring the performance down). A thrilling new pair-up was Julian MacKay and Thamires Chuvas (can anyone tell me how her first name is pronounced?). He is wonderful; I saw him in Nut and was instantly won over, and she was just dynamite. I've seen her in soloist roles before, but this was a whole new level of excellence, in my mind. She was on fire. It was the kind of performance where you learn a few days later that they were promoted backstage after the performance. I imagine promotions will be tricky and political this spring, with one AD leaving and another taking the helm. But Chuvas certainly earned one with this knock-out performance. Her costume, too, was just stunning. Mesmerizing. 

Such a great program. I went into it not knowing anything about any of the three ballets. Not my usual way to get the most out of a ballet, but it was sure fun to thoroughly enjoy each one in a visceral way, versus an intellectual one.

On 4/1/2022 at 1:11 PM, pherank said:

Madison Keesler mentioned on IG that she will dancing in Finale Finale later in the run:

"I’ll be performing [Lizzy Powell's] role in the second cast (I’m not sure what my performance dates will be yet)"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb0Z2dxvAmm/

She was lovely and a delight in Sunday's performance! I got a lump in my throat, thinking that this might be the last performance I see her in, on the SFB stage. What a great and fun farewell to SFB audiences, if that proves to be the case. 

"What's @SashaDeSola’s favorite moment in Helgi Tomasson's Prism? Find out in our latest edition of Talking Dance. And catch Prism, onstage tonight (4/15) as part of Program 6!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcX3aYdlzg-/

"What does a helicopter 🚁 and kicking a soccer ball ️ have to do with Helgi Tomasson's Prism? Find out in Talking Dance, as Esteban Hernandez (@kekelindo) discusses his role in Prism"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcY1285FhIW/

Edited by pherank

Tonight was the final performance of Program 6.  I had the opportunity to see 5 of the 7 performances.  Without.a doubt, as a whole program this one was my favorite.  Prism was a great start to the evening and the momentum built with each work that followed.  Finale Finale, a world premiere by Wheeldon is a fun work and the dancers look like they are having a ball on the stage.  The Promised Land, Dwight Rhoden's second work for SFB, takes you on an incredible journey and the dancers definitely rise to the challenge of the complex choreography.  

This was the cast for tonight's performance, but there were some changes:

Friday, April 15, 8:00 PM

Tonight we celebrate Principal Pianist Roy Bogas upon his retirement after performing with San Francisco Ballet for 65 years.

PRISM

Conductor: Martin West

Piano: Roy Bogas

First Movement

• SASHA DE SOLA, MAX CAUTHORN, LONNIE WEEKS
  • Luca Ferrò, Joshua Jack Price, Jacob Seltzer
  • Alexis Aiudi, Thamires Chuvas, SunMin Lee, Carmela Mayo, Lauren Parrott, Tyla Steinbach

Second Movement

• YUAN YUAN TAN, TIIT HELIMETS
  • Kamryn Baldwin, Samantha Bristow, Anatalia Hordov, Blake Johnston, Elizabeth Mateer, Swane Messaoudi, Pemberley Ann Olson
  • Andris Kundzins, Nathaniel Remez, Alexander Reneff-Olson, John-Paul Simoens, Mingxuan Wang, Joseph Warton, Adrian Zeisel

Third Movement

• JULIAN MACKAY
  • with Ensemble

FINALE FINALE

• DORES ANDRÉ, JOSEPH WALSH, ISABELLA DEVIVO
  • ISABELLA DEVIVO, BENJAMIN FREEMANTLE, ELLEN ROSE HUMMEL
  • ELIZABETH POWELL, CAVAN CONLEY, ESTEBAN HERNANDEZ

THE PROMISED LAND

Cello: Eric Sung

• LUCAS ERNI
  • THAMIRES CHUVAS, JULIAN MACKAY
  • DORES ANDRÉ, DANIEL DEIVISON-OLIVEIRA WANTING ZHAO, Benjamin Freemantle
  • ELIZABETH POWELL, MAX CAUTHORN
  • JENNIFER STAHL, HENRY SIDFORD
  • Gabriela Gonzalez, John-Paul Simoens
  • Pemberley Ann Olson, Rubén Cítores
  • Blake Johnston, Nathaniel Remez
  • Elizabeth Mateer, Estéban Cuadrado

0. THE WAVE

• Led by Lucas Erni
  • John-Paul Simoens, Gabriela Gonzalez, Nathaniel Remez

1. REMEMBER

• Led by Thamires Chuvas, Julian MacKay
  • Lucas Erni

2. RELIVE

• Led by Dores André, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira Wanting Zhao, Benjamin Freemantle

3. NEVER LAND

• Led by Elizabeth Powell, Max Cauthorn

4. REFLECT

• Led by Jennifer Stahl, Henry Sidford

5. REIMAGINE

• Led by Thamires Chuvas, Julian MacKay

6. THE PROMISE

• Ensemble

After the bows for Prism, Martin West came onstage to honor Roy Bogas (who was the pianist for the Beethoven Piano Concerto).  Mr. Bogas was retiring after 65 seasons!!  Helgi Tomasson also came onstage to say a few words.  It was a wonderful acknowledgement of his contributions to the company.  There is an interview with Mr. Bogas posted to the SFB YouTube page yesterday:  

Congratulations Mr. Bogas on your retirement and thank you for your work over the years for the company!!

Just before the curtain went up after the first intermission, an announcement was made regarding the cast changes for Finale Finale and The Promised Land.  Although always a surprise when these changes are announced, it was great to have Benjamin Freemantle dance in both pieces tonight as this turned out to be his final performance with SFB.  Same with Julian Mackay.  Wishing both of them the best in the next stage of their careers!!

I saw Program 6 three times, including the last performance on this past weekend.  The tribute to Roy Bogas was beautiful.  I have already expressed some of my thoughts about the performances under the topic of Julian MacKay's leaving SFB.  I totally agree with what Terez says above, particularly about MacKay, Chuvas, Sidford, and the very accomplished Max Cauthorn. 

Edited by Josette