This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Olga Smirnova Leaves Bolshoi for Dutch National Ballet

Just announced by the Dutch National Ballet:

LEADING BOLSHOI BALLERINA MAKES THE MOVE TO DUTCH NATIONAL BALLET

On Wednesday 16 March, Russian prima ballerina Olga Smirnova has decided to join Dutch National Ballet – where she will start immediately and be welcomed with open arms. One of the leading stars of the Bolshoi Ballet, Smirnova was outspoken in her recent denouncement of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, which is making it untenable for her to work in her native country. What’s more, Russia’s ties with the artistic community – which are so essential to the ballet world – have been substantially cut due to the conflict in Ukraine. Smirnova’s decision to make the move to the Netherlands has to do with several factors: Dutch National Ballet has long been on her wish list, the company is internationally renowned, and it has a rich and varied repertoire that includes both classical and contemporary dance. She is also a huge fan of Dutch National Ballet’s resident choreographer Hans van Manen and greatly admires ballet master Larissa Lezhnina, who has the same Russian background and training as Smirnova. Olga Smirnova dances her first role in the ballet classic Raymonda, which will premiere on 3 April at Dutch National Opera & Ballet in Amsterdam. 

Olga Smirnova 
"I have to be honest and say that I am against war with all the fibers of my soul. It is not only about every other Russian perhaps having relatives or friends living in Ukraine, or about my grandfather being Ukrainian and me being quarter Ukrainian. It is that we continue to live as if this were the 20th century, even though we have formally moved to the 21st century. In a modern and enlightened world, I expect civilized societies to resolve political matters only through peaceful negotiations. I never thought I would be ashamed of Russia, I have always been proud of talented Russian people, of our cultural and athletic achievements. But now I feel  that a line has been drawn that separates the before and the after. It hurts that people are dying, that people are losing the roofs over their heads or are forced to abandon their homes. And who would have thought a few weeks ago that all of this would happen? We may not be at the epicentre of the military conflict, but we cannot remain indifferent to this global catastrophe." (Olga earlier this month on Telegram)

operaballet.nl 
olgasmirnovaballet.com 

Ted Brandsen director Dutch National Ballet
“Olga Smirnova is an exceptional dancer who I admire very much. I have followed her career with great interest for many years. It is a privilege to have her dance with our company in the Netherlands — even if the circumstances that drove this move are incredibly sad. Nevertheless, as a company we are pleased to have such an inspiring dancer join us at Dutch National Ballet."

VICTOR CAIXETA ALSO JOINING DUTCH NATIONAL BALLET 
Victor Caixeta, the 22-year-old rising star and soloist of Mariinsky Ballet in St Petersburg, who was born and raised in Brazil, will also join Dutch National Ballet. “The current circumstances have meant I’ve had to make the hard decision of leaving Russia – the place I’ve called home for almost 5 years, as well as the theatre that has given me such an amazing start to my professional career. I look forward to joining Dutch National Ballet and to continue developing as an artist and a person.” 

"Victor Caixeta will also be dancing in Raymonda. Victor is a hugely talented and charismatic dancer and we are thrilled to be welcoming him to Dutch National Ballet," said Ted Brandsen

First titlerole in ballet classic Raymonda
Smirnova's first role with Dutch National Ballet will be in the title role Raymonda, in which she will feature in several performances. This ultimate ballet classic will premiere on 3 April. For the first time in the Netherlands, we are presenting our very own production of Marius Petipa’s legendary ballet Raymonda – a model of classical ballet technique that is famed for its beautiful variations, pas de deux and character dances. Associate artistic director Rachel Beaujean – assisted by a team that includes Ted Brandsen and Grigori Tchitcherine – will be creating a brand-new version of this Russian masterpiece. Its original choreographic splendour will be retained, but the story will be given an exciting new twist.

*** end of press release *** 

For more information, please contact:
Michiel Klerken
Press Manager a.i.
T +31 6 24 89 60 77
E m.klerken@operaballet.nl

Magali Kuils
Assistant Press Manager
T +31 6 14 61 16 14
E m.kuils@operaballet.nl 

olga_spotler_2.jpg

victor_spotler_2.jpg

Edited by fondoffouettes

This is a big deal, and a smart move, I think, for Smirnova. Not just because the Bolshoi won't be touring or working with outside choreographers for the foreseeable future, but also because she has always been better suited to contemporary repertoire than the classics. 

33 minutes ago, abatt said:

If Smirnova has any extra time on her hands, I would  love to see her at ABT.

I would too, Abatt. I'd also love to see her back at the Bolshoi someday under much improved conditions.

Her departure from Russia has been rumored on the internet for a week, but I didn't want to get into it until we were certain.

1 minute ago, volcanohunter said:

Sarah Kaufman is reporting that the company has also hired three new dancers from Ukraine and that its school has taken in seven Ukrainian students.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/03/16/bolshoi-ballerina-quits-russian-company/

Kennedy Center hasn't announced their 2022-23 season yet. Assuming Mariinsky and Bolshoi remain off-limits for the foreseeable future, it would be great if they brought in the Dutch Company!

8 minutes ago, Turandot said:

Smart move for her.  Also her husband who’s a bigwig for Goldman Sachs Russia would have had to leave Russia too because GS said they’d cease operations in Russia 6 days ago.  

Good point. Sometimes events make your decision for you.

Best of good fortune to Smirnova at the Dutch National Ballet. Whatever her privileges and protections in life, I believe her statement against the war took some guts--it's more direct than many such statements have been--and I admire her for it. 

Interested to read that she admires Van Manen's choreography because from what I have seen of his work (almost entirely video) I can very much picture her in it. Also, as I understand, Lezhnina is a ballet mistress at Dutch National Ballet--that seems like a potentially excellent coach for her.

Glad to read the company has also taken on some Ukrainian dancers and wishing success, too, to Caixeta.

And, oh yes @California! Please Kennedy Center pay attention--artistically for sure and also--this is a story you can use to sell tickets!

Edited by Drew

The Kennedy Center has renamed the Russian Lounge in the Opera House.  From their website https://www.kennedy-center.org/rentals/event-rental/opera-house-circles-lounge/ :

The Opera House Circles Lounge is located on the Box Tier of the Opera House. Prior to 2014, the space was known as the Golden Circles Lounge, featuring a magnificent Waterford crystal chandelier and collection of sconces, gifted to the Center by Ireland. In 2011, after a gift by the Vladimir Potanin Foundation in honor of the Center’s 40th anniversary, an architectural design and artistic competition was held to renovate the space.  In 2014, according to the terms of the Foundation’s gift, the re-named Russian Lounge opened, celebrating Russian arts and culture. The Waterford crystal chandelier and sconces were refurbished to compliment an updated, sleek look and two new paintings were commissioned by famed artist Valery Koshlyakov.  In 2022, after the expiration of the naming rights, the space was re-opened as the Opera House Circles Lounge.  The Lounge is used as an event space, meeting room, and private lounge for the Center’s Circles donors.

5 hours ago, lmspear said:

The Kennedy Center has renamed the Russian Lounge in the Opera House.  From their website https://www.kennedy-center.org/rentals/event-rental/opera-house-circles-lounge/ :

The Opera House Circles Lounge is located on the Box Tier of the Opera House. Prior to 2014, the space was known as the Golden Circles Lounge, featuring a magnificent Waterford crystal chandelier and collection of sconces, gifted to the Center by Ireland. In 2011, after a gift by the Vladimir Potanin Foundation in honor of the Center’s 40th anniversary, an architectural design and artistic competition was held to renovate the space.  In 2014, according to the terms of the Foundation’s gift, the re-named Russian Lounge opened, celebrating Russian arts and culture. The Waterford crystal chandelier and sconces were refurbished to compliment an updated, sleek look and two new paintings were commissioned by famed artist Valery Koshlyakov.  In 2022, after the expiration of the naming rights, the space was re-opened as the Opera House Circles Lounge.  The Lounge is used as an event space, meeting room, and private lounge for the Center’s Circles donors.

I am trying to decide just how depressing I find it to read this story about the renaming of the Russian Lounge at Kennedy Center.  Fundraising experts perhaps can tell me: Is it typical to let a space name lapse when the donor's original arrangement expires? If so, then that is one thing and I can live with it even if I find it dispiriting. But otherwise I find it an unpleasant 'wartime' kind of gesture and I can't help but think it's the sort of thing that gives life to those who might believe Putin's claim that the world is out to "cancel" Russia.

Edited by Drew

This renaming may also be the Russian donor's way of protesting Putin's actions.  I doubt there would be a rush for the Kennedy Center to cover the expense of new signage and updated publicity materials. A quick Google search resulted in recent articles showing that oligarch/donor Vladimir Potanin is critical of Putin. It wouldn't surprise me if the rebranding was initiated by the Russian donor.  Welcome to post Soviet Kremlinology.  🤪🤪

18 hours ago, Drew said:

But otherwise I find it an unpleasant 'wartime' kind of gesture and I can't help but think it's the sort of thing that gives life to those who might believe Putin's claim that the world is out to "cancel" Russia.

Even if the renaming seems like a misstep to some people, it is still a very, very small matter in the scheme of things. I don't see this slight, if it can even be called that, comparing to the real issue of an unprovoked invasion, 3 million + Ukrainian refugees, and numerous incidents of violation of the "rules of war" (aka war crimes). Not to mention the litany of threats, and cyber-warfare, directed at other nations should they dare to criticize Putin, or 'interfere' with the invasion in any way. I don't see the Russian government/people being the victims in this situation [aside from the brave few who have protested and ended up in jail], especially if the vast majority feel the need to support their government in any decision, no matter how outrageous. That's the real issue to be dealt with, imo.

Edited by pherank

I agree entirely. And the renaming of the lounge is completely inconsequential. 

Today we learned about the death of a former dancer of the National Ballet of Ukraine, who had been in hospital for more than 2 weeks with severe wounds he suffered during bombing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbONOJttv8v/

And an actress of the Kyiv Young Theater died after her home was bombed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbNXwxutEb-/

Edited by volcanohunter

31 minutes ago, pherank said:

Even if the renaming seems like a misstep to some people, it is still a very, very small matter in the scheme of things. I don't see this slight, if it can even be called that, comparing to the real issue of an unprovoked invasion, 3 million + Ukrainian refugees, and numerous incidents of violation of the "rules of war" (aka war crimes). Not to mention the litany of threats, and cyber-warfare, directed at other nations should they dare to criticize Putin, or 'interfere' with the invasion in any way. I don't see the Russians being the victims in this situation, especially if the vast majority feel the need to support their government in any decision, no matter how outrageous. That's the real issue to be dealt with, imo.

21 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Who would disagree with what @pherank has written?...Not me for sure. So why did I post about the lounge? Even though I rather thought I might be criticized? The way war causes people to make small, inconsequential acts of ugliness even on (what one believes strongly is the) right side is not something one always has to ignore or like--and indeed I don't think it is something one should always ignore. I judge this renaming, however trivial, to be just such an act. And such gestures are not always inconsequential insofar as they contribute to building up the atmosphere that leads up to much more problematic acts.  (Talk of throwing Russian students out of the U.S. is already underway. A discussion that seems to me quite premature.)....I've expressed myself elsewhere on what I agree is the real issue--and one on a vastly different scale--the destruction being visited on Ukraine and the threats beyond. On this website, which is a ballet talk website, when the renaming of an opera house lounge came up I expressed myself on that.

Edited by Drew

32 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Today we learned about the death of a former dancer of the National Ballet of Ukraine, who had been in hospital for more than 2 weeks with severe wounds he suffered during bombing.

I also saw that terrible news--about the actress only a few minutes ago on Twitter--and have been publicizing the first story (in my case on my social media, not here on Balletalert) ...

Edited by Drew

32 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Sadly, this is only the beginning, since all able-bodied men up to the age of 60 are being asked to stay and defend the country in some capacity. There was a report on CNN? in the last day or so, showing very ordinary Ukrainians being instructed in how to handle pistols and automatic weapons (many of whom had never fired a gun in their lives).

16 minutes ago, Drew said:

Who would disagree with what @pherank has written?...Not me for sure. So why did I post about the lounge? Even though I rather thought I might be criticized? The way war causes people to make small, inconsequential acts of ugliness even on (what one believes strongly is the) right side is not something one always has to ignore or like--and indeed I don't think it is something one should always ignore. I judge this renaming, however trivial, to be just such an act. And such gestures are not always inconsequential insofar as they contribute to building up the atmosphere that leads up to much more problematic acts.  (Talk of throwing Russian students out of the U.S. is already underway. A discussion that seems to me quite premature.)....I've expressed myself elsewhere on what I agree is the real issue--and one on a vastly different scale--the destruction being visited on Ukraine and the threats beyond. On this website, which is a ballet talk website, when the renaming of an opera house lounge came up I expressed myself on that.

I don't fault you for caring, Drew. I'm just pointing out the difference in scale between these choices. I don't want to see a lot of anti-Russian rhetoric get thrown about either - it simply isn't productive, and will have the opposite effect of what is intended: Russians will feel forced to defend their culture, rather than step up to make needed changes.

Edited by pherank

Just now, pherank said:

I don't fault you for caring, Drew. I'm just pointing out the difference in scale between these choices. I don't want to see a lot of anti-Russian rhetoric get thrown about either - it simply isn't productive, and will have the opposite effect of what is intended: Russians will feel forced to defend their culture, rather than step up to make needed changes.

Amen ....

Which, goodness knows, does not change the horror that is happening in Ukraine ....and the terror many of us feel listening to what is coming out of the Kremlin....

Naming rights may be the ultimate "first world problem."

17 minutes ago, Drew said:

the terror many of us feel listening to what is coming out of the Kremlin....

Yes, whatever Olga Smirnova's motivation for making her statement against the war and leaving Russia, she can't return.

On March 13th, Maria Khoreva apparently announced on IG that she would not be able to post to Instagram for a while, and then ended up removing the comment entirely. By reading her fans' comments it's possible to get a sense of what she had posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbAyXZcIxcW/

She was able to post a a performance announcement today, March 18th, but I wonder if she's going to be admonished for using Instagram at all.