This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yuriko, Martha Graham Ensemble founder, is Dead at 102

Thank you for posting, pherank. . What a great career. RIP.

A interview with Yuriko by Mindy Aloff from 2003 for danceviewnewyork:

This past Saturday, after Yuriko and Susan conducted a rehearsal of the Barnard students (who performed with spectacular commitment and collective strength), Yuriko spoke about her new, self-designed program.

“‘Arigato’ means ‘thank you’ in Japanese,” she said. “It’s my thank you to Martha Graham and to the dance world for giving me such a beautiful life, and I want to give it back. The knowledge, experience: I can’t take it with me. It’s my legacy to young dancers.

“I’m not ‘Yuriko’ when I’m doing it; I’m a missionary. Yes, I’m doing it for Martha, but Martha’s not here. I’m doing it for Martha’s work.”

She was interned for two years during WWII at a "relocation center" along with many other Japanese-Americans.

20 hours ago, dirac said:

She was interned for two years during WWII at a "relocation center" along with many other Japanese-Americans.

Relocated right on out of the culture. That kind of program remains popular in various parts of the world.

Here's a Dance Magazine obituary for Yuriko by Wendy Perron. The description of her WWII years was particularly interesting to me.

At that time, Yuriko was experiencing tensions with Graham. A Guggenheim fellowship in 1967 enabled her to leave the company and concentrate on her own work. But she returned in the late ’70s to restage Dark Meadow.

In 1982, Yuriko taught a three-week course in technique and repertory that became the seed for a second company. The Martha Graham Ensemble, initially led by Yuriko, is now called Graham 2.

From the 92Y, for those who can attend in person on October 27 at 7:30pm, there will be a free-but-ticket-required Cebration of Life:

Yuriko Kikuchi, known as a dancer, choreographer and performing artist under the single name Yuriko, will be celebrated for the trailblazing path she created over her 102 years of life.

As a natural dancer from birth, Yuriko began performing at the age of ten but gained wide recognition and prominence as the first Asian American dancer in a major company during her years with Martha Graham between 1944 to 1967. Yuriko headlined her first solo choreographic concert on the Kaufmann Concert Hall stage at the 92nd Street Y in 1946 where her company later returned to perform almost every year between 1964 and 1971. In originating the role of Eliza in Roger’s and Hammerstein’s The King and I she once again broke barriers not only as a performer on stage and in a major motion picture, but as director for a long-running revival of the musical.

A program of historic footage, spoken tributes and performances from artists including members of the Martha Graham Dance Company will celebrate this iconic artist.

https://www.92ny.org/event/yuriko-a-celebration-of-life?mcSID=835209