This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tiler Peck At City Center

I haven't seen any reports. I saw the Tiler Peck show at City Center last night and had a wonderful time. The dancing was incredible. Peck truly overwhelming with her combination of sharpness, legato and musicality, but everyone looked their best. I forgot how beautifully radiant Loren Lovette is when dancing in her comfort one. Anyone else there?

3 hours ago, vipa said:

I haven't seen any reports. I saw the Tiler Peck show at City Center last night and had a wonderful time. The dancing was incredible. Peck truly overwhelming with her combination of sharpness, legato and musicality, but everyone looked their best. I forgot how beautifully radiant Loren Lovette is when dancing in her comfort one. Anyone else there?

Vipa, do you know if this performance is to be streamed at any time?

It was INCREDIBLE. The MIchelle Dorrance piece was a real showstopper. Just incredible to see Michelle and Tiler dance together. I had seen the William Forsythe piece when it debuted virtually and it was terrific in person. To see this much invention and creativity is really life-affirming in this horrible horrible week. 

1 hour ago, pherank said:

Vipa, do you know if this performance is to be streamed at any time?

I haven't heard anything about live stream. I'd say if anyone is in NY and can get there on Sunday - go! 

I went Friday night and was impressed by all the pieces and performers. The pieces really brought out the best in the performers and highlighted their strengths. My favorites were Swift Arrow, the Alonzo King piece with Tiler and Roman Mejia, and Time Spell, the Dorrance piece. I went to see Tiler, Mejia, Dorrance, and others that I like from NYCB and ABT, but every dancer onstage was intriguing. She had a strong mix of principals and up and coming ballet dancers and then the tap dancers were incredible. I had seen Tiler and Michelle Dorrance in some works at City Center before, so I knew it would be a treat. Tiler was at her best, dazzling with such speed and musicality, and Mejia with huge jumps that got audible gasps from those around me. I haven't seen much Forsythe, but really enjoyed The Barre Project, Blake Works II. It was good to see Brooklyn Mack after a few years too. The program was very engaging and none of the pieces dragged on. I'd be excited to see any other programs she assembles in the future. 

I know I commented before, but I just want to add that the Tiler Peck show had truly amazing performances from every single dancer involved, and impressive programing with pieces that ranged from good to unforgettable. If Tiler Peck does something like this again, I will be first in line to buy a ticket. Also personally, it increased my interest in seeing Cassandra Trenary do anything at ABT!

On 3/6/2022 at 10:50 PM, Drew said:

It has been wonderful to read about this event--thank you to everyone posting....

Agree, thanks  everyone.  I'm happy to read all your reviews.  I wanted to go but just cannot get to NY this month.

Reading these reports, I'm sorry I missed this!! I took a pass because so often these mixed-company/gala/whatever-type programs have dubious programming. Wish I had realized the programming would be so good! Along these lines, does anyone have thoughts about the upcoming City Center Dance Festival? I'm familiar with the Paul Taylor programming, but can anyone provide informed perspective on the programming for Ballet Hispanico (another work inspired by Eva Peron - Dona Peron, really?), Martha Graham, or Dance Theatre of Harlem?

On 3/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, cobweb said:

Reading these reports, I'm sorry I missed this!! I took a pass because so often these mixed-company/gala/whatever-type programs have dubious programming. Wish I had realized the programming would be so good! Along these lines, does anyone have thoughts about the upcoming City Center Dance Festival? I'm familiar with the Paul Taylor programming, but can anyone provide informed perspective on the programming for Ballet Hispanico (another work inspired by Eva Peron - Dona Peron, really?), Martha Graham, or Dance Theatre of Harlem?

The Graham company is bringing some classics. Chronicle is a very powerful anti war piece. My only objection to it is that it seem as if its been on every single program for at least the past 5 years so I'd prefer to see some other works, there are lots that haven't been performed recently. But if you haven't seen it - its very moving. Appalachian Spring is wonderful and very uplifting. I remember loving Acts of Light but haven't seen it in many years. They are doing an excerpt from it in their gala program. I am quite leery of "reimagined" pieces, especially a lost Graham piece reimagined by Sonya Tayeh so I can't recommend Canticle for Innocent Comedians but I am very excited to see Hofesh Schecter's new piece. I know nothing about him or it except that Daniil Simkin will be appearing in it, which is enough to get me there!

On 3/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, cobweb said:

Reading these reports, I'm sorry I missed this!! I took a pass because so often these mixed-company/gala/whatever-type programs have dubious programming. Wish I had realized the programming would be so good!

Ditto!  I’m no help on the city center programming, but I’ll be sure to pay much more attention to Peck’s programming going forward!

2 hours ago, tutu said:

Ditto!  I’m no help on the city center programming, but I’ll be sure to pay much more attention to Peck’s programming going forward!

I just want to add - has anyone else see the documentary "Ballet Now" about Tyler Peck and the program she put together for a festival? (Sorry if this is old news/rehash). It's not the greatest Doc film IMO but it shows her imagination and programing skills in bringing in particular dancers as well as Bill Irwin and Michelle Dorrance pieces. I think it's on Hulu. I got a trial subscription to watch it. 

On 3/24/2022 at 7:03 PM, vipa said:

I just want to add - has anyone else see the documentary "Ballet Now" about Tyler Peck and the program she put together for a festival? (Sorry if this is old news/rehash). It's not the greatest Doc film IMO but it shows her imagination and programing skills in bringing in particular dancers as well as Bill Irwin and Michelle Dorrance pieces. I think it's on Hulu. I got a trial subscription to watch it. 

Yes I saw it in the theater when it was first released and Tiler Peck was in Seattle to promote it even!  I think it was back in 2018 or 2017?

I learned a lot about Peck and thought it was entertaining.  Afterwards Michelle Dorrance’s company was all over the place, it even toured to Seattle.  And I want to say I saw Bill Irwin somewhere else, maybe Vail, but that doesn’t seem right.

Edited by seattle_dancer

On 3/29/2022 at 4:58 AM, seattle_dancer said:

Yes I saw it in the theater when it was first released and Tyler Peck was in Seattle to promote it even!  I think it was back in 2018 or 2017?

I learned a lot about Peck and thought it was entertaining.  Afterwards Michelle Dorrance’s company was all over the place, it even toured to Seattle.  And I want to say I saw Bill Irwin somewhere else, maybe Vail, but that doesn’t seem right.

It's not his own work, but Bill Irwin is in at least one episode of The Gilded Age. He's danced with Tiler at Fall for Dance and (iirc) at Vail. They had a duet that they created together, him doing his clowning and her dancing.

Tiler has a great producers eye and mainstream appeal. I wish I could have seen her programs at City Center.

Did anyone see the Paul Taylor Company perform Lauren Lovette's Pentimento? She was recently named their resident choreographer, so I'm guessing the piece was pretty good.

Edited by BalanchineFan
spelling and typos

And I want to say I saw Bill Irwin somewhere else....

I'm a huge Bill Irwin fan. Most folks know him from his exquisite comedy, but my favorite Irwin is when he plays characters in Samuel Beckett plays (I find lots of comedy, existential comedy as in absurd, in Beckett). I saw him in "Waiting for Godot" several times in Seattle. Anyone see his famous 1988 run as Lucky with the 2 big roles played by Steve Martin and Robin Williams?? I'd give anything to see a recording of that production, but I don't think there is one. My most impactful experience was when Irwin played Beckett's "Texts for Nothing" in 2002.....again in Seattle (I went every night it played.....each night several folks walked out).