This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi -- "The director of the Bolshoi takes sides against the war in Ukraine"

"The director of the Bolshoi takes sides against the war in Ukraine"

"Vladimir Urin, who has been at the head of the famous Moscow theater since 2013, signed with other artists a call to stop "special operations in Ukraine"."

https://www.diapasonmag.fr/a-la-une/le-directeur-du-bolchoi-prend-partie-contre-la-guerre-en-ukraine-23769.html

(Thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie)

Google translate  French > English
https://translate.google.com

Born, interestingly in *Kirov* (city in the north of Russia).  

"In March 2014, Urin joined a host of other Russian arts and cultural figures in signing an open letter of support for Vladimir Putin's politics in Ukraine and Crimea"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Urin

He does not support what Vladimir Putin is now doing in the Ukraine. 

I've been to Saint Petersburg 17 years in a row to see the Mariinsky Festival. I've been treated as nice there as I have been anywhere, often better. I've met folks there over those years that I like very much and hope to see again as soon as possible.

'Power politics' are not pleasant anywhere, but I join all those  who have expressed extreme sadness over the invasion of the Ukraine. I hope for a settlement as soon and as just as possible for the benefit of everyone. And I hope that cultural exchanges will resume as soon as possible as well as all other events that bring this world more together in good will.

Edited by Buddy
47 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

A couple of weeks ago the Italian press was reporting that Gergiev was trying to offload his 20 (!) properties in Italy. So to compensate he wants control of yet another opera house? And with it command over the careers of a couple of thousand employees?

Overcompensation is the new black.

I may have missed them, but while I've seen the reports about international dancers leaving Russian companies, I don't remember seeing reports about the international students at the Bolshoi and Mariinsky or anything to suggest disruption at the Bolshoi school in Brazil.  If Gergiev does consolidate control, I wonder what it means for the schools and students.

I'm not inclined to stick up for Urin, but Ratmansky also canceled on the Mariinsky, and I don't see anyone criticizing Gergiev about that. And to continue performing works by a choreographer who had withdrawn permission would make all choreographers wary of working there.

Smirnova is not a serf, Russia hasn't reinstated exit visas (yet), and she isn't the first dancer to leave the Bolshoi. Although her departure does seem to be a very sore point. In the Russian press Vaziev was at pains to point out that she hadn't resigned but that had taken unpaid leave. (As though she could return.) That's happened before. Dancers continued to appear on the roster until their contracts ran out. If the Bolshoi immediately removed Smirnova, Tissi and the Brazilian contingent from the roster, it would look like a major exodus.

Gergiev may get this mega-reward for his loyalty, but it will drive the Bolshoi into even greater international isolation.

There has been talk about this kind of merger before--I remember reading about it several years ago--so Gergiev has presumably been looking out for an opportunity to make it happen. Urin signing a document calling for peace (though worded in a rather 'humanitarian' vein) may have created that opening. Gergiev's power wouldn't be internationally what it would have in the pre-war world, but it would still be a lot of power. But I also notice that in the translation of Putin's statement he seems to be saying that a decision has not yet been made...so perhaps this is trial balloon of some kind ...? or is the translation misleading?

8 hours ago, Helene said:

I may have missed them, but while I've seen the reports about international dancers leaving Russian companies, I don't remember seeing reports about the international students at the Bolshoi and Mariinsky or anything to suggest disruption at the Bolshoi school in Brazil.  If Gergiev does consolidate control, I wonder what it means for the schools and students.

As you may know, Brazil has taken a neutral stance on the war--even as Brazilian dancers at Mariinsky and Bolshoi decided to leave Russia--so it would not be a surprise if the school hasn't been disrupted for now.  One imagines, too, that  Gergiev, if he gets the sought after position, will want to maintain what international standing/influence Russia has when it comes to soft power. Though of course I'm hardly an expert! 

https://www.reuters.com/world/brazil-wont-take-sides-over-russias-invasion-ukraine-foreign-minister-2022-03-08/

Edited by Drew