This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2022-23 Season: PNB's 50th Anniversary!

Between the email I just received and messaging in the renewal process:

• The season announcement is still to come
  • Renewal packets should arrive within two weeks
  • You can renew starting today -- I just renewed mine
  • There are the full (in-person+digital) and all-digital options
    • For people who have been full subscribers since before Covid, the site defaults to the original seats back for the entire season; some seeat assignments were moved around this season to address capacity limits.
      • I'm not sure if there was an explanation for first-time full subscribers in the current season; there may be different messaging.
    • As in priori seasons, there is an option to request a seat change, too.
      • They'll start processing seat change requests in mid-August and confirm by end of August via email.
    • Subs do not include Nutcracker, in person or digital; tickets go on sale separately.
  • There's a full season pre-paid parking option for $120.  (With Climate Pledge Arena open, it might be a consideration to snag a space in advance.)

On 3/1/2022 at 2:11 PM, California said:

I'm very pleased to see that PNB again plans a digital season, this for $249. Recordings will be available after close of the in-person shows and available for five days. I wish more companies would figure out how to do that (although, as I remember, they were able to upgrade their technology during the lock-down).

https://www.pnb.org/season/subscriptions/

Actually, the upgrade happened just before the lock-down -- the hall (which not the same administration as the company) had just installed a very nice camera system.  They were very lucky that way.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:42 AM, Helene said:

There's a full season pre-paid parking option for $120.  (With Climate Pledge Arena open, it might be a consideration to snag a space in advance.)

I bought one this year, and it's been a real help -- the garages charge full freight on event weekends, and what street parking there is also raises their fees...

3 minutes ago, sandik said:

I bought one this year, and it's been a real help -- the garages charge full freight on event weekends, and what street parking there is also raises their fees...

On my way to the Queen Anne post office yesterday, I saw a sign for "$40 -- Event Parking."

Single tickets go onsale in July, per the website.

The programs are now also up; dates are subscription dates

Rep 1:  Carmina Burana, Sep 23-24, Sep 29-Oct 2:

• Allegre Brillante (Balanchine)
  • World Premiere (Ratmansky)
  • Carmina Burana (Stowell)

Rep 2: The Seaasons' Canon, Nov 4-5, Nov 10-13

• The Seasons' Canon (Pite)
  • World Premiere (Rhoden)
  • Duo Concertante (Balanchine)

Rep 3:  Giselle (Boal), Feb 3-4, Feb 9-12

Rep 4: Boundless, Mar 17-18, Mar 23-26

• Wonderland (Saunders)
  • World Premiere (Cerrudo)
  • World Premiere (Lang)

Rep 5: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Balanchine), Apr 14-15, Apr 20-23

Rep 6: Worlds to Come, Jun 2-3, Jun 8-11

• World Premiere (Lopez Ochoa)
  • World Premiere (Ross)
  • The Veil Between Worlds (Liang) -- Stage Premiere

2 hours ago, Helene said:

Single tickets go onsale in July, per the website.

The programs are now also up; dates are subscription dates

Rep 1:  Carmina Burana, Sep 23-24, Sep 29-Oct 2:

• Allegre Brillante (Balanchine)
  • World Premiere (Ratmansky)
  • Carmina Burana (Stowell)

Rep 2: The Seaasons' Canon, Nov 4-5, Nov 10-13

• The Seasons' Canon (Pite)
  • World Premiere (Rhoden)
  • Duo Concertante (Balanchine)

Rep 3:  Giselle (Boal), Feb 3-4, Feb 9-12

Rep 4: Boundless, Mar 17-18, Mar 23-26

• Wonderland (Saunders)
  • World Premiere (Cerrudo)
  • World Premiere (Lang)

Rep 5: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Balanchine), Apr 14-15, Apr 20-23

Rep 6: Worlds to Come, Jun 2-3, Jun 8-11

• World Premiere (Lopez Ochoa)
  • World Premiere (Ross)
  • The Veil Between Worlds (Liang) -- Stage Premiere

Here's the link to their web site for PNB's new season; https://www.pnb.org/season/#new

Rep 1 looks really interesting! Do we know anything about the new Ratmansky? music? theme?

There are some really interesting choices in this upcoming season, but I find myself curious to know about the works that aren't there.  At one point, PNB had a very fruitful relationship with the Paul Taylor company, and with William Forsythe -- I wish we could get a glimpse of that material as well.

I know that right now it's very hard to anticipate what kind of ancillary programming they might be planning (workshops, lectures, video, etc) -- I'm hoping that those kinds of events might cast a wider net when it comes to looking at the history of the company.  A 50th anniversary is a big deal in our field.

2 hours ago, sandik said:

What we know about the new Ratmansky is that everyone is crossing their fingers that it can happen at all -- world politics are making everything fraught right now.

I would have thought that owing to world politics Ratmansky will be staying mostly in the U.S., so PNB will get his undivided attention. 

13 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I would have thought that owing to world politics Ratmansky will be staying mostly in the U.S., so PNB will get his undivided attention. 

I tend to agree. Russian artists are increasingly unwelcome outside of Russia, and looking at the case of US basketball star Brittney Griner, citizens of other nations would be foolhardy to attempt to travel to or work within Russia.

Edited by pherank
On 3/20/2022 at 7:50 PM, volcanohunter said:

He seems to be very involved with organizing dance artists who are trying to find their way in this chaos, and amplifying the news out of Ukraine.  As I understand it, he would be in residence sometime after July, for a work that would be premiering in September -- no one really has any idea what the situation will be at that time.

8 hours ago, sandik said:

He seems to be very involved with organizing dance artists who are trying to find their way in this chaos, and amplifying the news out of Ukraine.  As I understand it, he would be in residence sometime after July, for a work that would be premiering in September -- no one really has any idea what the situation will be at that time.

Ratmansky was in SF last week when his The Seasons made its long-awaited premiere:  https://www.instagram.com/p/CbNeqYCgoZz/

He also had a world premiere in the opening gala this past Thursday, but I did not attend the performance, did not see any posts on IG with him, nor did I ask the dancers at the post-performance celebration at City Hall.  Searching IG for any pics and will share the link if I find any.

22 minutes ago, sf_herminator said:

Ratmansky was in SF last week when his The Seasons made its long-awaited premiere:  https://www.instagram.com/p/CbNeqYCgoZz/

He also had a world premiere in the opening gala this past Thursday, but I did not attend the performance, did not see any posts on IG with him, nor did I ask the dancers at the post-performance celebration at City Hall.  Searching IG for any pics and will share the link if I find any.

It looks like Ratmansky was in Munich for the premiere of his Pictures at an Exhibition.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbj2icIgt93/

Just announced: PNB will perform at the Koch Theatre, sponsored by the Joyce Theater Foundation, June 22-26. It will be competing with Ratmansky's Love and Rage at the Met. I'm not seeing any announcements elsewhere concerning the works included on the two mixed bills. If anybody else sees that, please post the link.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/The-Joyce-at-Lincoln-Center-to-Present-Pacific-Northwest-Ballet-20220425

Plot Point is a wonderful work: I've never seen anything like it.  Pite likes a lot revisi

.I'm glad Waiting at the Station is on all of the programs, too.  It's among my favorite Tharp works.  And if they're going to get that set across the country, they should use it!

tutu, PNB is bringing Plot Point. It's being performed on all dates.

LIke Helene, I am a big fan of Plot Point (I've probably seen it 6 times now.....and I never tire of it one little bit). Just don't go expecting it to be "a ballet"; go expecting to see "theater", or "story through movement", or the "power of gesture"......in a word DRAMA (as you've never seen it before). OTOH, I doubt any but dancers trained in ballet can do it justice. I'm jealous.....I want to see it again (and again!). P.S. Be sure to read the program notes....one has to know that Pite is presenting vignettes around a theme, not a through-line plot.

Edited by SandyMcKean

Hopefully I'm not being pedantic here.....but adding to my "read the program notes" comment above.....

In Plot Point, it is vital to understand the relationship between the characters and their replicas. For one thing, the replicas do not simply reflect the actions and inner thoughts of their character counterparts; but from time to time, the replicas demonstrate agency of their own.....maybe even root causes.

Fayballet.....you won't be disappointed: how Pite uses that iconic music is masterful. (P.S. Also note that the introduced sound effects are pre-recorded, so the replica dancers have zero latitude in the timing of their moves.)

Edited by SandyMcKean

Especially as the wonderful 2021-22 digital season draws to a close, I, like California, am so grateful to PNB for next year's digital season and to Katherine Graubard and William Calvin for helping to make it possible.  As a Virginian, I'll never be in a position to see as much of PNB (one of my favorite companies) as I'd like, but the digital seasons have been the next-best thing. 

If only SFB had continued (or would consider reinstating) its digital season. Perhaps once the company's 50th anniversary and transition to a new director have been absorbed?

I'd hoped that other companies, too, would see the value of giving distant fans this opportunity.  I would joyfully subscribe to other digital seasons as well (in addition to our subscription to the Kennedy Center ballet series, of course) if that were possible.  In any event, when I count my blessings, the PNB digital season is definitely among them.

From today's press release:

We like to kick, and stretch, and KICK. We’re 50!

Tickets now on sale for Pacific Northwest Ballet’s 50th Anniversary Season.

PNB’s 50th Anniversary season to include world premieres from Alejandro Cerrudo, Jessica Lang, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Alexei Ratmansky, Dwight Rhoden, and Kiyon Ross; a major PNB premiere from Crystal Pite; and works by George Balanchine, Penny Saunders, and Kent Stowell. Story ballets feature the returns of Giselle and A Midsummer Night’s Dream (and, yes, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®.)

PNB Box Office is now taking orders for tickets and season subscriptions.

Single tickets start at $37 ($27 for The Nutcracker).

Full-season subscriptions start at $192.

Four-show partial-season subscriptions start at $132.

Digital season subscriptions available for $260.