This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stephanie Petersen (Williams) resignation

9 minutes ago, Becki Lee said:

Stephanie just posted….

”wheresmytutu Announcing my resignation from
American Ballet Theater, my life and family for the past
10 years. Dancing is my joy so the journey continues
and I'm looking forward to the future.”

Isn't this contract renewal time? We might be seeing other announcements in the coming weeks/months.

I don’t know, seems unlikely her contract wasn’t renewed when she’d recently had the chance to step into the role of Myrtha and did very well from the accounts I read. But I’ve given up on trying to make sense of how these decisions are made. Especially at ABT. 

8 minutes ago, Barbara said:

I don’t know, seems unlikely her contract wasn’t renewed when she’d recently had the chance to step into the role of Myrtha and did very well from the accounts I read. But I’ve given up on trying to make sense of how these decisions are made. Especially at ABT. 

I know nothing about her in particular, but after 10 years in the corps I have to wonder how people might respond if told: sorry, no promotion to soloist for you this year or probably ever. (I have no idea if she was told this, just wondering...)

Or perhaps people see the handwriting on the wall and start making alternative plans on their own. What makes this more complicated is the end of McKenzie's tenure as AD. I haven't seen any hint anywhere of likely successors, but once that person is named, I would guess many will rethink their own futures. 

5 minutes ago, California said:

I know nothing about her in particular, but after 10 years in the corps I have to wonder how people might respond if told: sorry, no promotion to soloist for you this year or probably ever. (I have no idea if she was told this, just wondering...)

Or perhaps people see the handwriting on the wall and start making alternative plans on their own. What makes this more complicated is the end of McKenzie's tenure as AD. I haven't seen any hint anywhere of likely successors, but once that person is named, I would guess many will rethink their own futures. 

This, and also much of the tour and Met casting has already been determined (subject to change of course). If a 10-year corp dancer wasn’t cast in any soloist roles following Myrta from last year that would give them pause as well. Of course, I don’t know if that happened, just providing another angle.

A lot of people have re-evaluated their situations as a result of the pandemic. There's been a lot of change and upheaval, and simply having to adjust to and please someone else could be a reason not to wait to see whose handwriting it will be.

Generally people don't use the word "resignation" when it isn't their choice, even if their options aren't great.

31 minutes ago, California said:

I thought that she was probably on the short list for promotion to soloist, since McKenzie gave her Myrta in the fall season.  However, given McKenzie's imminent departure, there is uncertainty going forward about who will be promoted under a new artistic director.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, Helene said:

A lot of people have re-evaluated their situations as a result of the pandemic. There's been a lot of change and upheaval, and simply having to adjust to and please someone else could be a reason not to wait to see whose handwriting it will be.

Generally people don't use the word "resignation" when it isn't their choice, even if their options aren't great.

I think one thing we are not thinking of is that during the pandemic, Stephanie Petersen (formerly Williams) got married and had a child in February 2021.  That child is now a  year old.  ABT is launching a winter tour which will require Petersen to be away from home for weeks and weeks.  Perhaps like many, many dancers before her, Petersen found that balancing motherhood and a peripatetic dance career is not easy.  Hence her resignation.  

No inside info, just a thought.

Edited by FauxPas
names, dates
8 hours ago, Becki Lee said:

Stephanie just posted….

”wheresmytutu Announcing my resignation from
American Ballet Theater, my life and family for the past
10 years. Dancing is my joy so the journey continues
and I'm looking forward to the future.”

While not a standout in the corps de ballet, nevertheless she was a stalwart and full of positive energy.  Her announcement seems to herald a new job or position, possibly a relocation as well.  My best wishes to her.  I, for one, will miss her!

I've always liked Stephanie and have followed her on Instagram for years. Her announcement really caught me by surprise because she seemed so happy and grateful to be at ABT. Also, it’s very unusual for a dancer to quit at this time of the year. (I could be wrong, but I always thought that contracts come up for renewal at ABT in the late summer.) Like FauxPas, I tend to think that trying to juggle ABT's touring schedule with being a first-time mom was just too difficult. So, she chose her family. Or, maybe Stephanie is leaving to take a new position elsewhere. Or, maybe her husband wanted to leave NYC. Of course, I have no inside knowledge. This is all pure speculation on my part. We shall see. But I think being a mother and a dancer at a company that does a lot of tours, like ABT, must be very hard. I will miss her, too!