This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ukraine invasion & the arts: Gergiev fired by his agent, etc.

14 minutes ago, pherank said:

1, 2, 3. I am amazed and impressed to find that one of the best sources of imagery and information about the many desperate facets of the situation in Ukraine today is “Elle Ukraine” @elle_ukraine . It’s officially a magazine or media outlet for fashion and beauty; but there’s nothing escapist about it’s coverage of events in recent weeks

The same thing is true for Teen Vogue.  Most of their articles are about make-up, clothes, and celebrities, but then they publish hard-hitting articles about voting rights, world and US politics, and LGBT++++ issues.

10 hours ago, silvermash said:

The Paris Opera is organising a Concert for Peace in support of the victims of the conflict in Ukraine on Sunday 27 March at 8pm at the Palais Garnier.
It consists of an evening of ballet, concert and opera.
With the participation of Etoiles Stéphane Bullion, Mathieu Ganio, Dorothée Gilbert and Alice Renavand, First soloist Marion Barbeau, sujet Simon Le Borgne and  two Principal dancers from the National ballet of Ukraine, Katerina Kukhar and Alexander Stoyanov
https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-21-22/concerts-and-recitals/concert-for-peace

"Pace, pace mio Dio," "Patria oppressa" and "Va pensiero" are tragically appropriate selections. 

On 3/24/2022 at 5:46 PM, volcanohunter said:

I don't know whether other Russian dancers are still posting openly on sites that are supposed to be blocked.

I only follow a few but a number are still posting. [Edited to add: posting on Instagram.]. Ovcharenko has been posting photos/posts without yet taking down his earlier post alluding to the invasion. But now his instagram is family life and cheerfully posed photos -- much as it used to be. His wife Tikhomirova is also still posting-- according to google translate the post from yesterday read as follows:

"Ay? who else is here friends? Tell me please, is it possible to upload more photos here or is it better not to? And please respond in the comments, who sees? [heart emoji] Love to all [heart emoji]"

Reading this post conjured a whole short story in my head.

I have also seen posts by Ekaterina Novikova -- she actually hit "like" on the Tikhomirova post I just quoted. Recent Novikova posts talk about the Bolshoi in Kaliningrad with one aside about it being hard to post  "on our peaceful life these days." (Once again I am dependent on GoogleTranslate.) 

All of the dancers who keep posting do have links to their Telegram sites on their Instagram pages. Maybe some of them have some app that coordinates all their social media automatically? 

Anyway there must be some loophole whether it is widespread use of VPNs or just incompetent blocking of the site. Hard to believe the authorities don't know. I've seen recent posts and/or 'stories' from Ovcharenko, Skorik, Shklyarov, Saveliev, and Khoreva as well as from the Vaganova Academy's and K. Novikova's accounts. The obvious question to ask is whether I have mistaken fan Instagram accounts for official ones but...well, except for K. Novikova I have been following these for a long time and I don't think so.

There are dancers whose posts stopped 3-5 weeks ago....including Chebykina whose last post was her emotional statement about the war and her concern for family in Ukraine.

Edited by Drew

Notice posted to Instagram by both Paul Lightfoot and Maria Kochetova (with video trailer):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbhzu9zPkV7/

SELVPORTRÆT
Last August I had the most beautiful and heartfelt experience creating Selvportræt with @kammerballetten in Copenhagen.
We filmed the ballet, and it will have its film premiere on April 1st 2022….
The anniversary of my fathers death 3 years ago.

3 incredible dancers @tuhammen @balletrusse @brahmachicken depicting life, love, & death; inspired by the mythological Moirai women who spin the thread of life, decide it’s length, and who inevitably cut the thread.
3 unbelievable musicians @niklaswalentin @jacob.la.cour @alexandermckenziedk (who composed the music) binding the ballet together.

Here’s a trailer of the work. If you go to www.kammerballetten.com you can join us at 20.00 European time (19.00 GMT) to share in the premiere via the link.

In these dark times, I feel it is difficult to celebrate or show off any work, so we have chosen not to ask an entrance fee to watch Selvportræt… BUT instead, to add a link in the website to the UNICEF charity. UNICEF runs a special programme specifically in the Ukraine to help their children’s plight in this unthinkable war. Every penny helps. PLEASE DONATE something to them.

Cameraman for the film was @jacobmller and @tom__mckenzie edited and directed the film with me.
Huge thanks to both as it was a “Corona challenged” process…

Truly wish you will join us for this moment. If you can’t make it on Friday, then it will remain on view for another month.

Selvportræt
A Ballet By Paul Lightfoot

Maria Kochetkova
Sebastian Haynes
Toon Lobach

Music By Alexander Mckenzie

Film Premiere 01.04.22 (European date format)

Edited by pherank
5 hours ago, Helene said:

They can't shut down Telegram because the servers are deliberately hidden, and they haven't been able to find them, yet.

I am not sure if this was a response to my post...so I reread my post and realized I nowhere clarify that I am talking about posts on Instagram—all these dancers are still posting -or their posts are still showing up-on Instagram. That is what odd.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I am not sure if this was a response to my post...so I reread my post and realized I nowhere clarify that I am talking about posts on Instagram—all these dancers are still posting -or their posts are still showing up-on Instagram. That is what odd.

The posts are ballet specific, without a hint of events in the outside world. So I think the dancers are simply hoping that posting to IG won't get them in any trouble as long as their content remains neutral.

Edited by pherank
21 minutes ago, pherank said:

The posts are ballet specific, without a hint of events in the outside world. So I think the dancers are simply hoping that posting to IG won't get them in any trouble as long as their content remains neutral.

That must be what they are hoping/assuming. What's puzzling is that Instagram was reportedly blocked in Russia--supposedly people can't access it--presumably in part because it's not just a venue for putting up one's own photos. People on Instagram can read whatever posts they want and unless comments are turned off anyone on Instagram can comment on their posts. So, it's sort of unclear to me if it was actually blocked or if there are a lot of workarounds...

2 hours ago, Drew said:

People on Instagram can read whatever posts they want

Presumably this is precisely the reason for blocking the site. It's not Tutu Tuesday that the government fears. 

I noticed that some dancers whom I don't follow, such as Zakharova and Skorik, have made their accounts private, which I don't think they were before.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

That must be what they are hoping/assuming. What's puzzling is that Instagram was reportedly blocked in Russia--supposedly people can't access it--presumably in part because it's not just a venue for putting up one's own photos. People on Instagram can read whatever posts they want and unless comments are turned off anyone on Instagram can comment on their posts. So, it's sort of unclear to me if it was actually blocked or if there are a lot of workarounds...

Here's a direct link to my previous post that talks about the technical reasons: https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/46801-ukraine-invasion-the-arts-gergiev-fired-by-his-agent-etc/page/3/#comment-438744

So, yes, the younger generation has their workarounds. 😉  But they do risk the ire of the government.

33 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Today I saw a post from a Russian account that suggests Instagram is becoming increasingly difficult to use. Under the circumstances, I would rather not name the account. 

The funny thing is I just realized a few minutes ago (looking at Instagram) that numerous Russian ballet dancers (prominent and slightly less prominent) in addition to the ones I named above are still posting--were posting today. Some of them are doing Instagram "stories" which don't have comments and only stay up a limited amount of time and disappear....others are posting regular photos etc.

How interesting-( and indeed wonderful)-that people have started to be so vocal about wanting ballet personalities to be accountable about their political views, and hence angry at those who have publicly supported a pseudo-Soviet dictator and his opressive MO.

In the past I have been blocked, deleted, contested and sermoned because of doing just that.

https://images.app.goo.gl/EVRawGUu68xWDYG18

Edited by cubanmiamiboy
On 3/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, Drew said:

The funny thing is I just realized a few minutes ago (looking at Instagram) that numerous Russian ballet dancers (prominent and slightly less prominent) in addition to the ones I named above are still posting--were posting today. Some of them are doing Instagram "stories" which don't have comments and only stay up a limited amount of time and disappear....others are posting regular photos etc.

There's this disturbing reporting from the NYT.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nokia-pulled-russia-vast-surveillance-182920313.html

Those dancers ought to be more careful.

Re: missing posts:

That's enough.  This is not a place to drop general political screeds that are not specific to dancers and artists and how they are navigating their own public politcal alliances, their social media, and the consequences of these.

Posted by Maria Kochetkova - a reminder about a free dance streaming and a call for UNICEF donations:

[April 1st], 8PM (Copenhagen time, GMT+1) we're presenting an online premiere of Paul Lightfoot's "Selvportræt". at www.kammerballetten.com

🕊It will be available for streaming from 8pm on the 1st of April, at www.kammerballetten.com and kept online for a month. No tickets required, but we’ve decided to suggest a voluntary donation to support the important work UNICEF are doing right now, taking care of children fleeing the senseless horrors of the current war.

Special thanks to The Augustinus Foundation for their generous support.

CHOREOGRAPHY: @lightfoot_paul
DANCERS: Maria Kochetkova @balletrusse, Toon Lobach @brahmachicken , Sebastian Pico Haynes @tuhammen
ORIGINAL MUSIC: @alexandermckenziedk
MUSICIANS: Niklas Walentin, Jacob la Cour, Alexander McKenzie
FILMED BY: @jacobmller
EDITED BY: @tom__mckenzie
COSTUMES: Joke Visser & Hermien Hollander
LIGHT DESIGN: Paul Lightfoot, Roger Irman
LIGHT TECHNICIAN: Anton Stender

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbx_wkZgf1Q/

Edited by pherank
3 hours ago, pherank said:

I guess the lease is due on that Italian villa.

Oh, but what about the Gergiev fire sale? :whistling:

Netrebko says she met Putin only a handful of times, but press reports have pointed out that she endorsed him during the 2012 presidential election. Actually, it was a bit more than that because she was registered as an official campaigner on his behalf, though I have no idea how much campaigning she actually did. Those sorts of details are more than my digestive system can stand. She wasn't always politically neutral, so I can understand why her employers wanted explanations. And yeah, she wants her international career back. It's bound to be more lucrative than what Russian opera houses can offer right now, and she is 50, which is not young for a soprano.

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

Oh, but what about the Gergiev fire sale? :whistling:

Netrebko says she met Putin only a handful of times, but press reports have pointed out that she endorsed him during the 2012 presidential election. Actually, it was a bit more than that because she was registered as an official campaigner on his behalf, though I have no idea how much campaigning she actually did. Those sorts of details are more than my digestive system can stand. She wasn't always politically neutral, so I can understand why her employers wanted explanations. And yeah, she wants her international career back. It's bound to be more lucrative than what Russian opera houses can offer right now, and she is 50, which is not young for a soprano.

Macaulay (naturally) posted about this on IG:

"The Russian soprano Anna Netrebko at last clarifies her position: she condemns the war in Ukraine. Brava! From one of the most prestigious of all Russian performing artists - I saw her in a dozen different roles at the New York Metropolitan Opera in 2017-2019 - this must have taken courage. It’s likely to prove a Rubicon moment.
If she is currently in Western Europe - she is a tax resident of Austria - one must ask whether she will be allowed in due course to return to Russia, something she has often done throughout this century. Congratulations to Graham Spicer (Gramilano) on publishing this."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbvvBiBoaxM/

So I guess her mansion is actually in Austria. 😉

And another interesting post from Macaulay:

The Ukrainian conductor Oksana Lyniv has been conducting internationally for some time. Last year, she made her debut at both the Bayreuth Festival and at Covent Garden.
Here she posts a photograph of the house in Trostianets in the Ukraine where Tchaikovsky composed his first symphony. “All Russian artists who are still supporting the Russian invasion of Ukraine have to see this photo,” she writes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbyWVrYILUK/

Edited by pherank