This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, February 24

dirac

A review of New York City Ballet by Faye Arthurs for Fjord Review.

At 5’9’’, she was a decidedly tall ballerina, though she had the Tigger-like powers of a much shorter one. Her jumps were explosive and light—a rarity for someone of her stature. And though she towered, she had tiny hands and feet as well as a narrow ribcage and shoulders—which gave her a more delicate quality than other amazons. She was like a smaller person who had been elongated at the thigh and waist. She also possessed the signature Balanchine coolness onstage, but her movement quality was more rounded and fluid than angular or cutting.

Lone Star Ballet presents "Remember the Alamo."

"I wanted to be very balanced and write it as a teacher, because I didn't want it to be the usual story that we know and see," Hill said. "I wanted both sides to be represented, including the Mexican loyalists and Tejano side that worked with the defenders, because it's important and it's heritage."  

A review of New York City Ballet by Leigh Witchel for dancelog.nyc.

The Swan Lake II mixed bill at New York City Ballet fielded some new casts and some nerves, as well as brisk tempos from conductor Andrew Litton. It looked as if the newbies on their maiden voyages in “The Four Temperaments” were trying a little too hard and fixating on the externals, as if the entire point of the ballet was to push your pelvis off its axis.