This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, February 21

dirac

A preview of Australian Ballet's new season.

ongside these gems of modern ballet are some landmark traditional story ballets, such as Ratmansky's revival of Petipa's Harlequinade and the ever popular, ever heart-breaking Romeo and Juliet (Cranko's version). in addition, the year opens with a brand new retelling of the Russian classic, Anna Karenina. This version of the ballet is choreographed by Yuri Possokhov, formerly a principal dancer with Bolshoi Ballet and San Francisco Ballet and now a major international choreographer, and has a specially commissioned orchestral score by Ilya Demutsky which includes Russian folksongs sung on stage by a mezzo-soprano. A co-production with the Chicago Ballet, it was meant to be seen in Melbourne and Sydney last year, but because of the pandemic was only seen in Adelaide. 

Michael Pappalardo is the new artistic director of Canyon Concert Ballet.

After returning to Australia, Michael worked with Queensland Ballet before launching himself into a successful independent Dancer career working with Leigh Warren and Dancers, Melbourne Ballet Company, Victoria State Ballet, Opera Victoria, and various independent projects. Michael’s love for creating ballets came to the forefront in 2011 when he was lucky enough to choreograph for Victoria State Ballet and Melbourne Fringe Festival.

Q&A with Darcey Bussell.

Tatler magazine recently dubbed you ‘the good girl of ballet’…

I’m very happy being ‘the good girl of ballet’! I totally understand my image and what I reflect, and how I motivate and encourage young dancers, so being the ‘good one’, that’s fine with me!

I was also the ‘good judge’ on Strictly, even though I had my opinions.