This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Colorado Ballet 2022-2023 season

4 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

The CB's Facebook page contains an announcement that principal dancer Yosvani Ramos will retire at the end of the upcoming season.

The announcement and a short video are also on Yosvani's Instagram: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CifXfkvgwn4/

I don't know what his plans are post-retirement. He spent several months this summer in England as a guest teacher at several companies, as he documented on Instagram. He was a principal with ENB for many years before leaving for Australia and then the US. 

Edited by California
typo

The CB also posted on their Facebook page that Ramos' frequent partner, Dana Benton, will also retire at the end of the season. My memory is a little sketchy, but I think that she is the last remaining dancer in the company who danced for Martin Fredman (according to my possibly incorrect memory, Sean Omandam was hired by Martin Fredman bur Fredman was fired before his first performance).

I would have loved to get back to Denver for Dracula (and to do a little hiking), but my former frequent accomplice for all things ballet and symphony has been found to have advanced cancer and the job of looking after her seems to have fallen to me.

Edited by YouOverThere
5 hours ago, LadyCap said:

Anyone seeing Dracula this weekend? Would love to hear any commentary. 

I was sorry to see they seem to no longer be doing digital programs on their website, now that they have resumed paper ones? Unless I'm missing something...

They are still using the on-line program and they even include casting now: https://issuu.com/pubhouse/docs/cb_fall_wrap_dracula_22_issuu

I'm going Sunday afternoon. I saw this production when they did it a few years ago.  It's not a favorite of mine, but it sells very well here and they added a performance Sunday evening 10/16.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:35 PM, YouOverThere said:

I would have loved to get back to Denver for Dracula (and to do a little hiking), but my former frequent accomplice for all things ballet and symphony has been found to have advanced cancer and the job of looking after her seems to have fallen to me.

You must be a wonderful friend. Wishing both of you all the strength you need to get through this difficult time. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:17 AM, California said:

I'm going Sunday afternoon. I saw this production when they did it a few years ago.  It's not a favorite of mine, but it sells very well here and they added a performance Sunday evening 10/16.

It's not the greatest ballet of all time (the choreographer has referred to it as "dance theater"), but I find it tremendously entertaining. I am surprised, given that it seems to be something of a cash cow for the CB, that more companies haven't programmed it, especially regional companies that are often barely scraping by financially, since it will attract people who ordinarily would not go to a ballet. I realize that a ballet company is a little different than a symphony orchestra: a symphony orchestra can present a different program every week, so it can present "pops" concerts and still have a "classical" season, while a ballet company can only present a handful of programs each year.

Edited by YouOverThere
2 minutes ago, YouOverThere said:

. . .  it seems to be something of a cash cow for the CB, that more companies haven't programmed it, especially regional companies that are often barely scraping by financially, since it will attract people who ordinarily would not o to a ballet. 

As of this morning, all 9 performances are sold out, including the extra they added for Sunday night, 10/16! That should help their post-COVID fiscal recovery.  According to a quick Google check, Atlanta, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, and Kansas City all perform this. I agree with you that regional companies need pop programs like this (along with Nutcracker) to support programs serious balletomanes most appreciate. For me, that will be the mixed bill in April: Prodigal Son, Sinfonietta, Bruch Violin Concerto -- and they cut back to seven performances for that.

On 10/6/2022 at 8:45 PM, LadyCap said:

Anyone seeing Dracula this weekend? Would love to hear any commentary. 

I went to today's matinee of Dracula. I saw this production several years ago and had forgotten how impressive it is. Complex sets, special effects galore, gorgeous costumes, lots of opportunities for lots of dancers. It's more a theatrical work with dancing than a ballet (although with most of the women on pointe) and that might be why it sold out all 9 performances by opening night Friday. There has been a little advertising on local TV and lots of ads on social media. But they stopped selling discounted tickets on Goldstar several years ago, they don't have a rush for students/seniors, and Denver doesn't have a TKTS option. The only real discount is 25% off additional tickets for subscribers. There is virtually no published dance criticism any more in Denver and there hasn't been for years. I suspect this has a lot of excellent word-of-mouth from the showings in previous years. And it's perfect for regional companies, as we've discussed.

Chris Moulton was a powerful Dracula. I'll be shocked if he's not promoted to principal next year after Yosvani Ramos' retirement. Chris was an impressive Romeo last year and carried the day with Julie Adams' Cluedo pre-pandemic. 

Just for comparison, the Denver Center for Performing Arts dropped their mandates for masks and vaccination proof, although I did see a fair number of masks in the audience. Very thorough security, though -- more than at Lincoln Center and the Kennedy Center, strangely.

Casting for the second weekend of the Colorado Ballet's Nutcracker has been posted:

https://coloradoballet.org/files/galleries/Nutcracker_Cast_Insert_WEEK_2_FINAL.pdf

(There is a big parade downtown Saturday night, which is why there is no performance.)

It looks like all of these performances, as well as most of the remaining ones this month, are sold out.

Edited by California

I am coming (from Australia) to Denver for Yosvani Ramos and Dana Benton's retirement show on Sunday 23 April, 2023.

I would be much obliged for hints and tips on:

- where to stay that is nice, safe, clean, and less than US$200/night, oh and it should be either walking distance from the Ellie or easily accessible by public transport 

- a good florist (I mean, doesn't every dancer deserve flowers?)

- things to do in Denver that are accessible by walking or public transport

- what is the best (safe, reasonably priced) way to get from the airport to my hotel 

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, Sophoife said:

I am coming (from Australia) to Denver for Yosvani Ramos and Dana Benton's retirement show on Sunday 23 April, 2023.

- where to stay that is nice, safe, clean, and less than US$200/night, oh and it should be either walking distance from the Ellie or easily accessible by public transport 

- what is the best (safe, reasonably priced) way to get from the airport to my hotel 

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Denver, Sophoife! I have lived in downtown Denver for 11+ year, so here are my recommendations.

• Dana Benton's retirement is in Cinderella March 19, so you'll miss that. Yosvani's retirement is on April 23. They haven't announced, but I'm guessing he'll do Prodigal Son that day. Tickets are here: https://tickets.coloradoballet.org/events?view=list The Opera House has great sightlines and acoustics. I like side orchestra and the Mezzanine (1st tier). They don't sell tickets through 3rd party vendors or discounters like Goldstar. I will be out of town the weekend of April 23, alas, so I will miss it.
  • There is a Curtis hotel operated by Doubletree by Hilton literally across the street from the Performing Arts Center. https://www.thecurtis.com/ For those dates in April, they're quoting $255, but check special rates (senior, AAA, etc.) Popular restaurant (The Office) in the building and a Starbucks on that block on 14th.
  • If you're a serious foodie, try Terra on 14th: https://www.terra-denver.com/
  • Things to do: Terrific Denver Art Museum about six blocks down 14th street from the Performing arts center: https://www.denverartmuseum.org/en
  • Transit from airport: The A line light rail to Union Station is the main option. https://www.rtd-denver.com/app/route/A/schedule Fare is $10.50: https://www.rtd-denver.com/fares-passes/fares
    • From Union Station to hotel, cabs generally won't help, as it's a short ride. Some use Uber/Lyft. The Mall bus is free and goes through downtown. They keep changing the route due to construction on the Mall. Take it over 17th, then short walk south to 14th street. Here's the route now: https://www.rtd-denver.com/services/free-mallride
  • I don't know of a nearby florist and they generally don't send flowers here anyway.

@California THANK you!! That is so much helpful and useful information - I'm so glad I poked my head above the parapet!

I forgot Ms Benton was going in Cinderella; I somehow mixed her dates up. Yos is definitely doing Prodigal Son (ick Balanchine - it's okay I know that in the US mine is not a popular opinion 😂).

Happily, I don't have a choice about seating, my ticket is a gift. The last time I saw him dance live was 24 April 2013 in Sydney, so almost exactly 10 years.

Sadly I am not quite old enough to qualify for senior rates, and AAA etc is unavailable to me, but I'll keep looking.

I'm sad for the dancers they don't generally do flowers: I was brought up that for special occasions (first nights, last nights, retirements, principal rôle débuts) flowers are de rigueur.

44 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Sadly I am not quite old enough to qualify for senior rates, and AAA etc is unavailable to me, but I'll keep looking.

You might check Expedia.com on those dates. Most are actually in the suburbs or outer areas. Two in short walking distance from the Performing Arts Center are the Westin-downtown and Magnolia - both showing under $200 and nice hotels. I only use Expedia to identify hotels and then go to the hotel sites, to avoid problems with the 3rd party involvement. 

On 2/7/2023 at 12:36 AM, Sophoife said:

Thanks in advance!

I got an email from a friend in Denver, but it doesn't add much to what California posted:

It may be hard to find a place near the DPAC for $200, after the taxes and fees are added.

Rates are changed depending on the date, mainly determined by what (if anything) is going on at the Convention Center.
I would suggest that he/she go to Orbitz or TripAdvisor and enter the exact dates when he/she would be staying. Other things being equal, the Curtis Hotel would be a good choice.

There are really no "budget" hotels downtown, as there is no market for one.  City of Denver's high minimum wage, now $16+, is also a factor.

Nice hotels al lower rates are clustered in the Tech Center and near the airport.  In my opinion, though, saving $50 a night would not justify the trouble of shuttling back and forth.  An of course there is a good train connecting the airport with downtown,  (In that connection, you should advise that tickets must be bought from vending machines BEFORE boarding the train.  I would hope that he/she has a credit card usable for this and all other purchases so that he/she doesn't have to screw around with a currency exchange.  And you should make sure he/she knows that a taxi to downtown would cost $100+.) 

(You might also give him/her a heads-up to the fact that Downtown is going through a rough period, with the 16th Street Mall being torn up and reconstructed while business is still recovering from the pandemic.)

Best museum near downtown is the Denver Art Miseum,  a 3/4 mile walk.  The Mall Shuttle, now operating on a temporary detour, goes most of the way there. The nearby Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Art is a good choice if he/she would like a smaller museum.  The Museum of Contemporary Art is a shorter distance from the DPAC, but its offerings are exclusively avant-garde and aimed at a hipsterish under-35 crowd -- and it's so small that it has to close completely for 2 weeks when changing installations.

Colorado Ballet just posted the program (including all casting) for the final programs April 14-16 and 21-23.  Sunday, April 23, is Yosvani Ramos' retirement performance, in Prodigal Son. He's also doing the Bruch Violin concerto, but not on the final Sunday.

https://coloradoballet.org/files/galleries/CB_SPR_WRAP_23_MASTERWORKS_FOR_ISSUU.pdf  (casting: pp. 18-21)

Dana Benton had her retirement performance in Cinderella last month, but she's actually dancing in the Bruch, partnering Yosvani. Dana is also doing the Kylian Sinfonietta.

I just saw all four performances this weekend of the Colorado Ballet's final program of the season, MasterWorks. (I'm out of town next weekend, so I'll miss those.) This is always the best program of the season for serious ballet lovers and they didn't disappoint. (For all three ballets, they used sets/costumes from ABT.)

Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1: They perform this every few years and it still works for me. Some of the partnering feels a little gimmicky (especially some of the extended overhead lifts in odd positions), but his choreography for the eight pairs of corps/soloists is very effective. Tippet was good at moving groups around stage in interesting ways. And with four pairs of leads, there is plenty of interesting choreography, well-performed.

Prodigal Son: I haven't seen this performed by this company and they rose magnificently to the challenge. I remain fascinated by this early Balanchine, chock full of imaginative choreography, especially to capture the drinking scenes and the seduction of the Son. And that magnificent Prokofiev score -- several passages swell with emotion that never gets old. The gold standard for this ballet (or at least the one most are likely to remember) is the Baryshnikov recording in1978 for Dance in America. Several dancers stood out this weekend:

• Prodigal Son: Yosvani Ramos performed opening night and brought the requisite energy and drama to the piece. He will perform this for his retirement on April 23, which I'll miss. Jonnathan Ramirez (newly hired two years ago) was magnificent in clearly capturing the range of emotions. He performed at both the Saturday and Sunday matinees. Sean Omandam (long-time demi-soloist) was the big surprise, in a good way. He was a substitute for Ramos Saturday night, announced right before the performance. A few days earlier he had posted on Facebook in costume that he was grateful for the opportunity. I assumed he was the understudy and was going to perform at the schools' matinee on Thursday. He looks younger than he is and brought the awe and surprise of a teenager to the role, which worked well. (Ramos was in the Bruch on Sunday, and there was no explanation for the substitution Saturday.)
  • The Siren: Jennifer Grace (also newly hired two years ago) has the stature and presence to make this role work well for her, partnering Ramirez. I was surprised to see principal Asuka Saski (with Ramos) and demi-soloist Ariel McCarty (with Omandan) cast in this role. Both are very petite dancers, but both brought a haughtiness and command to the role to make it work well. That hat and pointe shoes helped, but their dagger looks carried the day!

Sinfonietta: I saw ABT do this last October at the Koch and just love this ballet, as I love most Kylian. The performances in Denver were full out with the brass choir and orchestra, and the dancers seemed so joyful. I can't wait until they bring this one back.

The biggest disappointment was the audience size. The Ellie Caulkins opera house, holding 2,225, was barely half full. They did have stiff competition at the performing arts center (Pink Floyd at the Colorado Symphony and Anastasia). Dracula, Nutcracker, and Cinderella sold out, but this was by far the best program of the year. I read with disappointment reports on this site that Balanchine and classic opera don't seem to be selling as well as more contemporary things. Is this a fluke or are we entering a period when younger audiences just don't appreciate the real masterpieces?

Edited by California