This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Beckanne Sisk and Chase O'Connell to Join Houston Ballet in 2022-23 Season

Helene

Here's the announcement from Ballet West:

BALLET WEST’S
BECKANNE SISK AND CHASE O’CONNELL
TO JOIN HOUSTON BALLET
FOR 2022-23 SEASON

SALT LAKE CITY – Principal Artists Beckanne Sisk and Chase O’Connell will be joining Houston Ballet as Principals for the 2022-23 Season, following 12 and 10 seasons, respectively, with Ballet West.

Beckanne Sisk was first discovered by Ballet West Artistic Director Adam Sklute when she was 16, joined Ballet West II at age 17, and rose to Principal Artist in 2015. Sklute remembers their introductions fondly: “The minute I saw her dance I knew Beckanne was a star. At age 18, I nominated her for The Princess Grace Award, and the day she won, I said to her: ‘One day, you’ll be able to dance anywhere in the world. Let me help you get there.’ Chase is an elegant dancer who I found out of 300 dancers at a ‘cattle call’ audition for BW. In his ten years with Ballet West he has grown to become a true Danseur Noble. I am proud of their artistry, and of the careers they have built here through their hard work and dedication. We will miss them dearly but they are world class artists who deserve to be experienced by audiences around the globe.”

Ballet West, with more than a third of the company coming from its training program, has developed a national reputation for building careers and the lives of young dancers. O’Connell and Sisk, who are engaged to be married, have danced every major role with Ballet West, and have often been cast in the leading roles together, including this month’s Romeo + Juliet by Michael Smuin.

O’Connell and Sisk shared this joint statement: “We would like to thank Ballet West, our supporters, and the entire Salt Lake community for the past 10 years. You have been our family and have helped us grow into the artists we are today. We would also like to give Adam Sklute and the Artistic Staff a big heartfelt thank you for all they have done for us. Adam has guided us through our careers and we are very fortunate to have him in our lives. We are so excited to start our next chapter with the Houston Ballet, and we will always cherish the Salt Lake community and the love everyone has shown us through the years.”

O’Connell and Sisk are playing Romeo and Juliet, respectively, on Friday, February 11 at 7:30pm; Saturday, February 12 at 7:30pm; and on Saturday, February 19 at 7:30pm at the Janet Quinney Lawson Capitol Theatre. They will also appear in the April program, Carmina Burana with Glass Pieces. Their final performances with Ballet West will be in The Choreographic Festival in May. Tickets are available at BalletWest.org

Ballet West AD Adam Sklute sent the following email,

Dear Ballet West Family,

I’m writing as I wanted to be the first to share that two of our wonderful principal artists – Beckanne Sisk and Chase O’Connell have accepted principal artist contracts with The Houston Ballet for the 2022-2023 Season. They will be dancing with Houston for the year and possibly returning to appear in one or two ballets with Ballet West, pending their schedule.

I first saw Beckanne competing in YAGP at the age of 16. A colt of a dancer, she was an astonishingly beautiful girl with an amazing combination of bravura, line, and coolness. I offered her a position with BWII and she joined at 17. At age 18 I nominated her for the Princess Grace Award in Dance and she won, becoming only the second dancer in Ballet West history to win this prestigious award (the first being Jeff Rogers in the 1980’s). At the Award Celebration in New York, I told her that there would come a time when she could go to any company in the world. I asked her then to let me help her when that time came. She joined Ballet West that year and was catapulted to stardom first by being thrown in, last minute, to the demanding leading role of Kitri in our production of Don Quixote, and then by being featured in our television docu-drama Breaking Pointe on the CW network for two seasons in 2012 and 2013. Beckanne moved quickly through the ranks and since 2015 has been a leading principal with us. A world class exponent of all the great ballerina roles, she is a rare and magical artist.

In 2012, Chase O’Connell attended a huge open call audition for Ballet West in New York City. Out of over 300 dancers vying for exactly 3 spots available in BWII, he was one of two men to whom I offered contracts. Very tall, with matinee idol good-looks, elegance, and a pristinely clean technique. He too quickly moved through the ranks becoming a principal in 2016. An exceptional partner he has become the perfect danseur noble.

They met here at Ballet West and grew to become a partnership on-stage and off. Engaged since 2019, their wedding had to be postponed due to COVID.

Both of them are consummate artists and tireless workers. They are constantly finding ways to expand their craft and explore their artistry. They are always hungry for correction and coaching and dive deep into every role they get – whether it’s a character or pure dance, they will always find the meaning in their movement or interpretation.

I support Beckanne and Chase in this move. These are world-class artists who deserve to be experienced by audiences around the world. I am proud and honored that Ballet West and I could help guide them on their journey as they grew to this outstanding level. While I hope they will always call BW and SLC home, Houston is just the beginning for them as I see it.

They have given Ballet West so much and will always be welcome back if they choose to return.

Beckanne and Chase will complete this season with us at The Choreographic Festival in May. Then please join me in wishing them bon voyage, a bientot and bonne chance!