This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ezio Frigerio (1930-2022)

Theater designer Ezio Frigerio, particularly famous for designing Giorgio Strehler's productions of Mozart's Da Ponte operas and some of Rudolf Nureyev's most opulent productions (as well as Nureyev's very glitzy grave, about which Frigerio was vaguely embarrassed), has died at the age of 91. He is survived by his wife and frequent collaborator, costume designer Franca Squarciapino.

643874b40b10407026fc971f2c2f9830.jpg

baya1.jpg 
ballet-dancers-perform-rudolf-nureyevs-s

r58kdsbke5kfqhvdgflk

nureyev-grave_3-1024x768.jpg 
Edited by volcanohunter

Sometimes we need a little sumptuousness in our lives. 

Thank you for posting the news and those great photos, volcanohunter. May he rest in peace after giving us so much color and beauty.

I think the kilim of mosaics designed by Frigerio on Nureyev's grave is gorgeous. Whatever you think of the grave, it was of a piece with the departed. I don't think Frigerio would mind if I post this photo gallery of Nureyev's Paris flat, which was right across the street from the Louvre. It was decorated by Emilio Carcano, but I'm sure that some of Frigerio's stuff made it in there. Even the throw pillows are amazing.