This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, January 31

dirac

An obituary for Galina Samsova by jane Pritchard in The Guardian.

Not only was Samsova a great dancer but she was also a generous person, ever ready to help her colleagues and young dancers. She was loved and respected by those she worked with, and in the last three decades was in demand as a judge at international ballet competitions. It was through seeing talented young dancers in competitions that she brought, for example, the Czech Daria Klimentová and Spanish Tamara Rojo to Scottish Ballet, where in the 1990s she served as artistic director, launching their careers in Britain.

Profiles of five young dancers up for this year's Telstra Awards.

Nemoto began dancing at the age of three, and was contemplating a professional career by the age of 12.

She left Japan to study in France at 15, and at times being far from her family had her questioning her lifelong commitment to dance.

'At that time I couldn't speak French ... languages are very hard for me, but ballet is my language too and I express myself by dance,' she said.

An article on Noelani Pantastico's retirement by Marcie Sillman for Crosscut.

Pantastico’s 2008 performances wowed critics, audiences and choreographer Maillot, who invited her to join his company, Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo. She left Seattle for Monaco that same year. In 2012, Postlewaite joined her there. They toured the world together, developing a special onstage partnership.

“Having spent so much time with her, we kind of speak the same language,” says Postlewaite. “That sort of trust, synchronicity, means we can dance even more fully, more in tune with each other.”