This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, January 17

dirac

The Grand Rapids Ballet presents "Cinderella."

The ballet company has seen many changes since it was originally envisioned by Grand Rapids native and retired professional dancer Sally Seven in the late 1960s.

In 1971, Seven officially founded the amateur ballet company under the name Grand Rapids Civic Ballet which would grow and evolve into a fully professional company over the last 50 years.

Q&A with Tamara Rojo.

What did you learn from Kain that you took with you to the English National Ballet?

Karen and the whole National Ballet of Canada really were incredibly generous. They opened every aspect of the company. I was allowed to be present at board meetings. The marketing team talked to me, the music director talked to me, the development team, the box office. So I really had an opportunity to get into the business side of how a company runs and how decisions are made. They have a really amazing team, in every department. Everyone in every level, in every department, is really engaged and passionate.

I also had an amazing opportunity: Cirque du Soleil allowed me to visit for a long weekend, because I wanted to understand more commercial work. I had a really wonderful time.