This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Raymonda snippets

@volcanohunter, I've been asked this a couple of times in the past two days. The first part of the variation (up until the pas de bourrée couru and temps de fleche) is based on the Stepanov notation (circa 1903, documenting the performance of Lubov Egorova as Henriette), as is the last part (beginning with the piques de cote). The type of turns at the end aren't specified other than four turns on pointe followed by turns (probably chaines) on demi-pointe. No final pose is given.

Thank you for posting this and thank you @doug for further information.

When I saw ENB live a few years ago in Sleeping Beauty Conway was hands down my favorite of the featured dancers in secondary roles -- she was in the corps de ballet at the time, very new to the company. And I loved this Henriette variation and loved her performance!

Yes, the entire variation is notated. An erasure seems to make one of the middle combinations somewhat unclear because only three bars of steps are notated for a four-bar phrase, but the steps that ARE notated for the combination are clear. Only movements for legs and feet, direction of the hips, and ground plan are documented. No final pose is notated. This is pretty standard for most notated dances that have been preserved.

Another lovely variation. It would be interesting to see the production (I don’t know if Rojo will try to bring it to San Francisco) —I had a mixed reaction to what I read about it, but I would certainly be very happy to see it in the theater.